771 users online (99 members and 672 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Armadillos spreading leprosy

Last edited by peeples; 04-27-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Can't spell Armadillo LOL

I've never even seen an armadillo even in a zoo. And I used to want to see one. Until I read this study..

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    I've never even seen an armadillo even in a zoo. And I used to want to see one. Until I read this study..
    I only know them as common road kill in Florida. What the heck were people doing with armadillos that they got close enough to catch a disease?

LOL the article said it ranged from handling them, handling their carcasses, working in the dirt they burrowed in, and eating them.

Oh they are also cautioning against buying armadillo suveiners now. Commonly sold in TX.

Now that is a sentence I never thought I would see. How random. lol
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I only know them as common road kill in Florida. What the heck were people doing with armadillos that they got close enough to catch a disease?
    I got to wonder that myself

I have never seen one and they are pretty horrid looking things.

Goz

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    Gross!! Those things are almost as ugly as possums. Doesn't surprise me one bit they can carry leprosy.

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

I just saw on the travel or food channel the other day, the guy who eats wierd stuff, eating a armadillo on the grill. yuck. When we lived in Fl. they would come through the yard all the time.

Eating armadillos blamed for leprosy in the South
    Disease likely spreads when people handle, eat the animals, which carry bacteria for disfiguring disease

By ALICIA CHANG
    The Associated Press
    updated 4/27/2011 5:25:42 PM ET 2011-04-27T21:25:42
    LOS ANGELES — With some genetic sleuthing, scientists have fingered a likely culprit in the spread of leprosy in the southern United States: the nine-banded armadillo.

DNA tests show a match in the leprosy strain between some patients and these prehistoric-looking critters — a connection scientists had suspected but until now couldn't pin down.

"Now we have the link," said James Krahenbuhl, who heads a government leprosy program that led the new study.

more
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42788111...eases/42787858

from the above link/article
    While leprosy is infectious, it's hard to catch. Those most at risk are family members who are in constant contact with an untreated person. Leprosy can't be spread through casual contact such as handshaking, or sexual intercourse.

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    This worries me a LOT because my mother and my brother both have armadillos in their yard. Many of them. They dig holes and ruin the yard... We were just there at Easter and my kids ran around outside without shoes...

I think I'll be more cautious next time. I don't like this one bit.
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

That's odd. You can't get leprosy from shaking hands or sexual intercourse with an infected person. But eating armadillo seems to be a risk, according to the article, even though cooking usually kills most infectious bacteria.

I don't think I understand how leprosy is transmitted.

Never saw an armadillo until I saw them as road kill on a trip through Florida, as a kid... my music teacher convinced me that they were actually Fraggles. :|

I, being the odd one, always wanted one as a pet. I don't think I ever saw one in real life but the look so cute... Not now.
    “The essence of the Liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held, but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment.” ~Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    That's odd. You can't get leprosy from shaking hands or sexual intercourse with an infected person. But eating armadillo seems to be a risk, according to the article, even though cooking usually kills most infectious bacteria.

I don't think I understand how leprosy is transmitted.
    Leprosy is not an STD, but what makes you think you can't get it from shaking hands or sexual intercourse? The article says exposure to saliva of infected person can transmit leprosy, so if during sexual contact one is exposed to saliva, then I would say it's wrong that one can not get it during sexual contact. By the way I knew for a long time aramadillos transmit leprosy, that is not new info. Maybe they finally got what they consider "strong evidence" but it certainly was known long before.

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Leprosy is not an STD, but what makes you think you can't get it from shaking hands or sexual intercourse? The article says exposure to saliva of infected person can transmit leprosy, so if during sexual contact one is exposed to saliva, then I would say it's wrong that one can not get it during sexual contact. By the way I knew for a long time aramadillos transmit leprosy, that is not new info. Maybe they finally got what they consider "strong evidence" but it certainly was known long before.
    Yes, I knew that, too. I think I had forgotten it or thought it was really unheard of, though, until all the recent news attention. I don't like it - one bit. They are everywhere in rural Georgia where my family (mom/brothers) lives.
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast