1232 users online (193 members and 1039 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr

Attorney Sues After Spending Almost $19,000 at Florida Strip Club

Oh please... If a judge rules in his favor, then it will set a precedent that anyone can claim they were too intoxicated to use their credit card and therefore aren't responsible for what they spend.

An attorney who specializes in drunken-driving offenses is suing a Florida strip club, claiming it got him so drunk he spent almost $19,000 on his credit card, Courthousenews.com reports.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/27...#ixzz1KpHo8g5T
    Last edited by belimom; 04-28-2011 at 10:07 AM.
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

Wise Old Owl is offline Retired WS Staff & Founding member of AFKBPOFPOPL
    Welcome to South FloriDUH!!! There was something similar to this a few months back. It was a bunch of young guys out for a bachelor party and their card was charged for thousands. HHhhmmm......wonder if it was the same club?

You're right belimom - I sure hope a judge doesn't rule in his favor. Would give a pass to all horny drunks all over this country - but especially here - these clubs are a dime a dozen down here.

I don't know about this one. What services could they have performed that cost $19K in one evening? Not even high-end call girls cost that much.

I think this may be a case of an establishment knowingly taking advantage of someone who was unable to give consent. For all we know, the drinks may even be loaded to facilitate the rip off.

This isn't to say the attorney doesn't share some responsibility. It may be a case where the cost should be split.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I don't know about this one. What services could they have performed that cost $19K in one evening? Not even high-end call girls cost that much.

I think this may be a case of an establishment knowingly taking advantage of someone who was unable to give consent. For all we know, the drinks may even be loaded to facilitate the rip off.

This isn't to say the attorney doesn't share some responsibility. It may be a case where the cost should be split.
    ITA about an establishment taking advantage of customers. But, they charge $$$$$$$$$ for full bottles of stuff. Then you have the big fancy bottles of champagne - Dom Perignon, Pierre Joilet, etc. those can be hundreds of dollars each.

I don't know if the girls can "charge" lap dances to cards - I would think so - just tell the bartender and he adds it on to the tab and the girl gets her cash. If that's the case - well yea - thousands can quickly add up in a matter of a few hours.

Interesting thought about "loading" the drinks. Wouldn't that be something? Just another day in sunny South Florida. *****sigh*****

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    ITA about an establishment taking advantage of customers. But, they charge $$$$$$$$$ for full bottles of stuff. Then you have the big fancy bottles of champagne - Dom Perignon, Pierre Joilet, etc. those can be hundreds of dollars each.

I don't know if the girls can "charge" lap dances to cards - I would think so - just tell the bartender and he adds it on to the tab and the girl gets her cash. If that's the case - well yea - thousands can quickly add up in a matter of a few hours.

Interesting thought about "loading" the drinks. Wouldn't that be something? Just another day in sunny South Florida. *****sigh*****
    True. The stereotype used to be that drinks in "dance halls" were watered down to cheat the customers. Maybe they figured out they made more money if the drinks were stronger. It's true that Dom Perignon can run up to $500/bottle, but that's for the highest quality (per my internet research: I certainly can't afford the stuff). What are the odds a strip club is serving top-shelf champagne?

But even so, $19K is 38 bottles of top quality Dom!

I have no idea what a lap dance costs, but as I said, you can get a room full of high-priced call girls for less than $19K.

BTW, I'm a South Florida boy myself. Needless to say, I'm very proud.

Does Fl have any laws re: bartenders aren't supposed to be serving alcohol to a really drunken person? That might apply here.

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    Nothing like good old personal responsibility. Anyone ever heard of that before??

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    Does Fl have any laws re: bartenders aren't supposed to be serving alcohol to a really drunken person? That might apply here.
    But unless he had his BAC tested, how could they ever prove he was really drunk? Not to mention the level of tolerance in everyone is different depending on body size, weight, and the amount a person is used to drinking. Three beers to one person might be something completely different to another.

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful One View Post
    But unless he had his BAC tested, how could they ever prove he was really drunk? Not to mention the level of tolerance in everyone is different depending on body size, weight, and the amount a person is used to drinking. Three beers to one person might be something completely different to another.
    I think what they use after car accidents is did he give the appearance of being drunk? If he can find witnesses that he was falling, slurring speech and other signs of drunk behavior, he may have it on the bartender and therefore the club. Another way is the number of drinks he was served- there should be charges on the credit card for those.

Though I can't say I have ever heard of it going through court. But then I don't hear everything.

The number of drinks charged on the card won't matter. He could have been with a group of friends and therefore, buying rounds of drinks. Also, the tips - could he have charged "tips" on the card? With each round? I would like to see the detail of the receipt for that $19k - it is probably very telling.

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    I think what they use after car accidents is did he give the appearance of being drunk? If he can find witnesses that he was falling, slurring speech and other signs of drunk behavior, he may have it on the bartender and therefore the club. Another way is the number of drinks he was served- there should be charges on the credit card for those.

Though I can't say I have ever heard of it going through court. But then I don't hear everything.
    Apparently Florida law rarely penalizes the server for providing alcohol to intoxicated persons. The two exceptions are:

1. Minors (obviously)

2. Known alcoholics (how the courts define "known" isn't clear).

http://www.injurylawservice.com/libr...in-florida.cfm

This civi suit may get tossed (or even more likely, the parties will reach a compromise on the bill and settle out of court: it can't be good PR for the Club to be known as a place that bilks drunks).

(ETA of course the above refers to criminal law. In a civil suit, the plaintiff will argue diminished capacity and that the club knew or should have known that the cardholder didn't know what he was buying or how much he was spending.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful One View Post
    Nothing like good old personal responsibility. Anyone ever heard of that before??
    I'm all for personal responsibility, but why does that principle only apply to the individual who put $19K on his credit card?

Why aren't companies and their employees also held to some standard of personal (or corporate) responsibility? I seriously doubt the club servers, dancers, etc., weren't aware of how drunk the guy was.

This is probably the realest answer to this question I can give.

This man was obviously showing off. He was probably not only buying drinks for himself, but for his friends, the dancers, and who knows who else. He was more than likely wanting hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in "singles" to tip the dancers which would be charged to his "credit card" (bill) as he requested them. Lap dances can also be charged to the credit card and going into the private areas of the strip club can cost MEGA $$$$$. It's a status thing... well... for show offs who like to throw money around... and the girls will take every penny if you let them!! Some girls charge thousands of dollars just to sit with them on any given night... especially places like S. Florida and Las Vegas. Girls come from all over the world to dance in these areas because there is so much money being thrown around.

As for the drinking part... as a bartender myself... it is true that if someone is showing signs of being extremely intoxicated, it is our job to tell a bouncer to cut the customer off. It is also true that everyone handles alcohol differently. It does not matter if the person is not driving because there is always alcohol poisoning or they could fall... anything can happen!!

I am sure that there is video of this guy having the time of his life... spending freely and living freely! He's just a freeloader... IMO. It happens all the time when someone spends their whole paycheck on one night out... they regret it the next day. It happens... but to put that on the club's shoulders? Heck no!

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I'm all for personal responsibility, but why does that principle only apply to the individual who put $19K on his credit card?

Why aren't companies and their employees also held to some standard of personal (or corporate) responsibility? I seriously doubt the club servers, dancers, etc., weren't aware of how drunk the guy was.
    You're only hearing his side of the story. He may not have been drinking that much at all, but buying drinks for everyone and their mother. It happens all the time in clubs. Once someone starts throwing money around like that, people flock to them and in order to be the "man" they foolishly continue on with their "show."

I will say that I do not agree with credit cards being used in strip clubs. I am a bartender in a strip club (not in S. Florida) and we take cash only. We tried the credit card route (for drinks ONLY... if they wanted cash for tipping or lapdances they had to go to the ATM). Our owner threw the credit card machines out after one month because all these people (men and women) would come in and have a great time and want to show off and then they would contest the charges. These people know exactly what they are doing and they do it on purpose. Freeloaders!

I am almost willing to bet that this man is a regular on the strip club scene and that this wasn't his first time throwing money around trying to show off... maybe not to the extent of $19,000.00 in one night... but I'm pretty sure this wasn't his first rodeo.

I would also be interested if he had tried to contest the charges earlier (before filing suit)? Just curious if he knew to wait until video of that night would be unavailable because if he had contested the charges back when they happened... I would think the club would have made sure not to tape over that night to prove that he was having a great time showing off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast