The Most Hated Baby Names in America

My daughter's names are the #1 and #10 most common US names (and that's suprising, because they're both "old-fashioned!).

There are some names I just cannot stomach, and really detest the trend of taking boys names for girls. MOOOOOO It makes those of us with boys struggle to come up with names that aren't also attached to girls.
One of my son's names is Hunter.
When he was 3 we ran into 2 girls within 2 months that were both named hunter... we agonized for months over whether or not to change his name.

I totally agree with nevaeh being an unwise choice for a name----my apologies to those of you who have named your children with it!----my reason is a personal interpretation of the name, LOL! To me, the opposite of heaven is hell. The first person I met who had a child named nevaeh explained it to me as being spelled the opposite of heaven and I've never been able to get that out of my head!

And then there's the trend of using LAST names as girls' first names:

Mackenzie
Madison
Morgan
Addison
Tyler
Taylor

Or adding a "Y" thinking that makes it girlie.
Collin turned into Collyn doesn't make it a girls name people LOL

Wow, a lot of popular names there, falling out of fashion. It happens.

eta: my children's names aren't on there... :)

I have a Makenzie....Know zero people with it as a last name. Never met a boy with the same name either.

I have a Kamryn....with a K and a Y...and I guess it's a "boy" name. LoL, whatevs...Cameron Diaz had it longer than any other boy I personally know.

I always thought along the line of keeping it simple for the kid to spell it in first grade.
Named my kids Paul and Kim. Kept it simple. The personalities we have to work on later.

I absolutely HATE trendy names. I chose an old fashioned name for my daughter and was horrified when, after she was a couple years old, I realized it was becoming more popular. My son's first name is Bennett, which is also a last name, but he's almost 13. I named him way before that trend became popular. And I just liked the name, I didn't think about the fact that it was also a last name.

Nevaeh is ridiculous.

I wouldn't be so arrogant as to imply my husband and I together originated the name "Madison" for a girl (especially recalling the mermaid character in Tom Hank's 80s movie "Splash"), but the honest truth is that...

...we chose the name for our first daughter in '96 without consulting baby name books or discussing names with anyone but each other. Our choice was the result of a road trip brainstorm of every feminine 'M' name we could think of ('M' is a family letter), and we "struck" upon Madison.

Within two years after she was born, we noticed an explosion of the use of the name. Now, at 14, our daughter normally shares the name with at least two or three other girls in her classroom.

I hate to admit it, but I regret my husband and I didn't choose something different. She'll always be OUR Madison and the only one in the world to us. But she herself expresses distaste for her name, poor thing.

She may opt to go by her middle name some day (Eve), but we won't make the suggestion lest she feel we don't like her name.

Fact is, we love HER name, but not THE name anymore, if you know what I mean. :)

I picked a very old-fashioned Irish name for my son (my dad is from Ireland, and my husband is also Irish), and it never makes any lists - popular or unpopular (except in Ireland and Australia, where it is not uncommon).

I do cringe when I hear anyone say they like the name though, and almost want to demand they not spread it around.

I personally can't stand trendy names, and have a hard time pretending to be enthusiastic when people tell me their choices. It's their baby, so I make nice, but I do picture the legions of similarly-named kids in their classes.

This year, between my two undergraduate classes (160 students), I had 17 Ashleys. :(

We chose a name we had never heard outside the family for our daughter -- Bethany. There were many generations of women with this name in my husband's family. By the time she was in school, there was always at least one other girl in her grade with that name. Turns out it's not all that uncommon.

We named our son Harrison because he was named after his grandpa Harry but we were afraid that name might be too dorky (This is before Prince Harry was born.) We thought this way he'd have a choice and could always fall back on Harrison Ford being cool. At the time it seemed like an unusual name, but it's not super uncommon either.

My daughter and her husband named one of her sons after a Japanese film star. I bet no other non-Asian has or will have that name! They got lots of flack from their other in-laws. Caused a break with her dh's parents for a while there. Now it just sounds perfectly normal to everybody.

In anticipation of having a daughter, my dd has run a few of her favorite names by me. Gack! One sounds like Cinderella's ugly sister and another sounds like a super mean girl. Of course, I only said, "Any of those would be great."

I tend to not like names when I've known people with the same name that I didn't care for too much. Then later down the road I'll meet someone with that name that I do like and it's hard for me to reconcile. Has that happened to anyone else?

YES!
I had an enemy in elementary school named Paige. I hated that name with every single fiber of my being.
Then I met a girl in my cake class named Paige and I actually h ave a positive connotation with it now instead of negative :)

Most of you are probably too young to remember her but I always loved Diana Lynn - the movie star. So that's what I named my daughter. When she was expecting a girl and throwing around names, she came up with some that made me cringe, of course I didn't tell her that. I reminded her where her name came from - she and I always liked Lindsay Wagner - so that is the name she picked. Whew, some of those others would have taken some getting use to.

I tend to not like names when I've known people with the same name that I didn't care for too much. Then later down the road I'll meet someone with that name that I do like and it's hard for me to reconcile. Has that happened to anyone else?

Oh, yes. I have a short list of names that have been ruined for me. (That's what I meant when I said one of my future granddaughter's possible names sounded like a super mean girl.) Oh the horror of having my granddaughter named not after me but after one of my arch enemies! :dramaqueen:

I have three sons and one daughter. Their names are all different in origin. Each name was chosen based on our current "feel" for the child.

I used to not like trendy names. However, I do like to look at time periods in the past and see a "trend." We forget that our McKenzies and Chandlers will be the Myrtles and Willies of the future.

I couldn't believe after three boy that I named my daughter a "boy" name. But it is SO her. We just changed the spelling....Ramsi.

My most hated name is Destiny.I think of a stripper with bad tattoos and a missing tooth.

There are some names I just cannot stomach, and really detest the trend of taking boys names for girls. MOOOOOO It makes those of us with boys struggle to come up with names that aren't also attached to girls.
One of my son's names is Hunter.
When he was 3 we ran into 2 girls within 2 months that were both named hunter... we agonized for months over whether or not to change his name.

I know the feeling. Our son is 23 now, but when he went to kindergarten he came home and accused us of giving him a 'girlie' name. We named him Casey, which I had thought of as a masculine name. Guess not.

We named our girl Olivia, and I had not heard of many other kids with that name at the time. But since then it has gotten very popular. But I still like it.
She even likes it still.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back