1119 users online (196 members and 923 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast
    I know this is a stupid question. I live out side the US, and here when your cell phone loses power or you turn it off, uppon turning it back on for use you have to enter a PIN#. Is that the case with normal and/or burn phones in the US?
    This would give some insight as to how the SK communicated with the girls.... any info would be appriciated.

I never had to use a pin or have heard of that before.
    If that helps any?

I've never had to use a pin either. That feature could vary by phone though.

Here is a link to Melissa's timeline in case anyone needs to refer to it:

TIMELINE for Melissa Barthelemy - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Last edited by bessie; 06-06-2015 at 01:05 AM. Reason: repaired link

Quote Originally Posted by nugzter View Post
    I know this is a stupid question. I live out side the US, and here when your cell phone loses power or you turn it off, uppon turning it back on for use you have to enter a PIN#. Is that the case with normal and/or burn phones in the US?
    This would give some insight as to how the SK communicated with the girls.... any info would be appriciated.
    You can password/PIN protect your phone, but you don't have to. For example, when one of my friends goes into her texts, she has it protected with a code. I don't have any passwords on my phone. So the answer is yes AND no.

I have thought for a while that Melissa having checked her voicemail from the two Massapequa motels on her last known day(s) alive, and then one of the taunting calls placed to her sister having been placed from Massapequa is very significant. It may in retrospect be one of the only mistakes that her killer made.

In the days after Melissa Barthelemy was reported missing in 2009, someone used her cell phone to call her teenage sister in Buffalo at least a half-dozen times. The caller eventually admitted to the girl he was the killer.

New York City police tracked the call to midtown Manhattan and searched near Pennsylvania Station and the Port Authority bus terminal, but the signal went dead. Cellphone records showed a call from Massapequa, on Long Island. Police canvassed the area, asking around at local hotels, but turned up nothing, the official said. There have been no calls in several years.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ins/51784606/1

There are basically two types of cell phones: Type one is a GSM phone that uses the Global System for Mobile Communication to send and receive calls. GSM is the standard used by Europe and most of Asia. GSM phones are used in North America too but it is not the dominant standard. It is the phone with a SIM card. Type two is the CDMA phone. CDMA stands for Code Division Multiple Access. It is the dominant network standard for North America.

Here are some links that explain both standards and the differences between them:

wiseGeek
    What is a GSM Phone?
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-gsm-phone.htm

wiseGeek
    What is CDMA?
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-cdma.htm

wiseGeek
    What is the Difference Between GSM and CDMA?
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...m-and-cdma.htm

Prepaid cell phones or “burn phones” utilize the same networks as contract phones. So, the brand and model of the cell and the service provider the device is working through determine which network the phone uses. Some prepaid cell phone companies offer access to both networks. Here are some examples:

"T-Mobile's To Go Phone also provides national coverage through their GSM network. Out of network calls are not permitted."

"Tracfone has been around for some time, and provides nationwide coverage primarily through their own network, but provides roaming through partnerships with 30 CDMA and GSM networks. Roaming is free on select GSM handsets. CDMA phones and other GSM handsets are charged double the minutes used."

"Net 10 is a sister network to Tracfone, and offers virtually the same network coverage and service plans. Free roaming is provided on both CDMA and GSM networks."

The-Cell-Phone-Advisor.com
    A Comparison of Prepaid
    Cell Phones and Service
    http://www.the-cell-phone-advisor.co...ll-phones.html

Here is a link to an article on how a person might crack/hack GSM and CDMA phones. The article includes info on how someone might obtain a phone's PIN or get into a cell phone without needing the PIN:

IT World
    How to hack cell phones better than News of
    the World
    By Kevin Forgarty
    July 08, 2011
    http://www.itworld.com/security/1813...ter-news-world
    Last edited by Dwntwnslim; 02-19-2012 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Change Some Words; Clarification

Something just dawned on me about the calls made by the perp with Melissa's phone. Keeping the call under 3 minutes might not have been relevant. It would of not been enough for the perp to hang up or turn-off the phone at the 3 minute mark to keep from being tracked. LE could still turn it on and off remotely. The perp would have had to do one of three things to keep from being tracked: 1. If Melissa's phone was a CDMA phone, the perp would of had to remove the battery. 2. If Melissa's phone was a GMS phone, the perp would of had to remove the SIM card. 3. The perp could of simply put the phone, whether CDMA or GMS, in a Faraday bag.

Choice #3 would be the quickest, IMO.

Here is a link to a previous post I made with info on how LE can access a cell phone remotely:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - NY-LI 10 bodies found on Beach-Poss. SrlKlr-12/10-4 id'd; more found 3/11 #13
    Last edited by bessie; 06-06-2015 at 01:05 AM. Reason: repaired link

Quote Originally Posted by Dwntwnslim View Post
    Something just dawned on me about the calls made by the perp with Melissa's phone. Keeping the call under 3 minutes might not have been relevant. It would of not been enough for the perp to simply turn-off the phone at the 3 minute mark to keep from being tracked. LE could still turn it on and off remotely. The perp would have had to do one of three things to keep from being tracked: 1. If Melissa's phone was a CDMA phone, the perp would of had to remove the battery. 2. If Melissa's phone was a GMS phone, the perp would of had to remove the SIM card. 3. The perp could of simply put the phone, whether CDMA or GMS, in a Faraday bag.

Here is a link to a previous post I made with info on how LE can access a cell phone remotely:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - NY-LI 10 bodies found on Beach-Poss. SrlKlr-12/10-4 id'd; more found 3/11 #13
    Well, that would be relevant if LE would have tried to track anything before like two or three years had passed.
    Sometimes, being a squirrel can be a real nutjob!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Brendt View Post
    Well, that would be relevant if LE would have tried to track anything before like two or three years had passed.

LE did try to track the phone calls that the perp made from Melissa's phone to her sister.

The New York Times
    Serial Killer in L.I. Case Is Seen as Versed in Police
    Techniques
    By William K. Rashbaum
    Published: April 8, 2011
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/09/ny...pagewanted=all

"One investigator said the brief duration of the calls thwarted efforts by the New York Police Department to use the signal to pinpoint the caller’s location and find him, something Lynn Barthelemy said they told her they tried to do four times."

Something just dawned on me about the calls made by the perp with Melissa's phone. Keeping the call under 3 minutes might not have been relevant. It would of not been enough for the perp to hang up or turn-off the phone at the 3 minute mark to keep from being tracked. LE could still turn it on and off remotely. The perp would have had to do one of three things to keep from being tracked: 1. If Melissa's phone was a CDMA phone, the perp would of had to remove the battery. 2. If Melissa's phone was a GMS phone, the perp would of had to remove the SIM card. 3. The perp could of simply put the phone, whether CDMA or GMS, in a Faraday bag.

I'm not sure how the cell phones work in the states. So please bare with me. Would it be possible that he didn't use Melissa's phone at all. That he just took the SIM card out and use a diffrent phone he knew how to hide with? If that is even possible. THX

I'm not sure how the cell phones work in the states. So please bare with me. Would it be possible that he didn't use Melissa's phone at all. That he just took the SIM card out and use a diffrent phone he knew how to hide with? If that is even possible. THX

Good question! Yes, he could of taken the SIM card out of Melissa's phone if it was a GMS phone and put into a different GMS phone. He could of also "spoofed" the caller ID using Melissa's info with a phone of his choosing (GMS or CDMA).

But, IMO, he would of still had to taken additional steps to avoid being tracked besides just cutting the call at the the 3 minute mark.

Good question! Yes, he could of taken the SIM card out of Melissa's phone if it was a GMS phone and put into a different GMS phone. He could of also "spoofed" the caller ID using Melissa's info with a phone of his choosing (GMS or CDMA).

But, IMO, he would of still had to taken additional steps to avoid being tracked besides just cutting the call at the the 3 minute mark.
    What ever the case, it looks like he knew exactly what he was doing and how to cover his tracks. That adds a pretty disturbing element to the personality of this guy. The sister said he was in control. The step father said the conversation was more violent than sexual in nature. Lots of BTK type markers in my opinion. They need to catch this guy....

Good Point!

Quote Originally Posted by truthspider View Post
    Has anyone thought about the logistics of fitting a non-dismembered adult into a burlap sack? I have always pictured a burlap sack to be the size of a bushel of clams. I don't know how large burlap bags come, but I have never seen one that would be easy to fit a non-dismembered adult in.

That's a really good question. We should think about that...if we can't come up with a large enough burlap bag, then it means either:

a) they were dismembered
    or
    b) the SK only had to place "bones" in burlap, so that means they were moved, right?
    c) they were not wrapped in "sacks," but just burlap...big difference IMHO

Just wanted to re-start this discussion!
    Last edited by twocuriouscats; 02-21-2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: can't spell!

An older white guy who sounded drunk most of the time, and she was secretive about the date, but was offered $1,000. That amount must have meant that she would be spending the night with this man, but if JT knew she was a hooker then why the secrecy. I agree that most of the girls probably knew this man from other dates, and am wondering if Melissa or maybe a few others thought he was their boyfriend, or becoming a boyfriend.

Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast