Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/01/missouri.levee.breach/index.html?hpt=T2

Levels of still rising Mississippi, Ohio rivers at all-time highs
By the CNN Wire Staff
May 1, 2011 9:28 p.m. EDT

t1larg.flooding.uscg.jpg

The Mississippi River overflowed its banks near Cairo, Illinois, last week

...Sutton said her aunt and uncle have evacuated two homes near the levee, moving out all their possessions, and are now living in a camper. "They honestly think they'll have nothing to go back to," she said, adding the Corps of Engineers has told them the water will cover their home by at least 5 or 6 feet.

The levee was breached before, in 1937. But, Jones and Sutton pointed out, the area was heavily forested then, with trees to slow the water before it reached the second levee. That forestation is no longer there, they said.

Koster's office said last week that "the flooding would leave a layer of silt on the farmland that could take as much as a generation to clear, causing significant injury to the quality of the farmland for many years."

Still, even if they don't prefer it, not everyone in the Show-Me State opposes the levee breach if it's truly a last resort.

Sutton said her family has traditionally made its living farming, but "when it comes over people's lives to farmland, I say save the lives."

"They say it's going to help Cairo, then I'm for it," she said. "But I have a feeling that will destroy Mississippi County, financially bankrupt our county."

CNN's Ashley Hayes, Bill Mears and Chelsea J. Carter contributed to this report.

Good Lord that's got to be frightening!

Ms. Sutton's heart is in the right place and I hope if anything catastrophic happens in order to save Cairo that there are relief plans and/or charities that can help them come back stronger than they were before the flood.

And they say more rain is coming tonight, heavy at times. This is in the Cin. area, but looks like it will cover the majority of the area. Good news is that it looks like the next week has less chances of rain.

Here in Memphis we are preparing for a catastrophic and historic flood. This is something I never dreamed of experiencing since I live on the outskirts of the city.
It has rained all day yesterday and it's pouring buckets now and will continue all night and most of tomorrow.
The last major flood here was in 1937 when the river crested at 48.70 feet. (flood stage is 34 feet) We are now at nearly 43 feet with a crest of 48-50' expected on May 10.
I'm hoping for the best but prepared for the worst.
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=meg&gage=memt1&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"

In Cincy area we have had about 1 inch of rain so far, expected to rain most of the night. We're under flood watch.

I'm praying for ya guys. I hope it works out for you.

No Quiche, press waiting for the 5 minute warning. :)

They are in and out, I think we lose video feed when they go to commercial.

The live banner is no longer up on the main website...

They are still live though :)

My computer's being fussy, darn it!

Why would they not blow this 2 mile hole during the day when this devastation could be seen. Maybe that is why?

The flooding all around is amazing. Branson area (SW MO)has major flooding too. Tablerock lake dam is letting out more water than they ever have.
I live about 3/4 mile from the Meramec river/Mississippi river confluence. Flood stage is 24 feet near me and we've hit 35.5 so far.
It's raining.

They say they have to do it soon because there is so much pressure from the water upstream.

Kathy Sweeney KFVS saying yes they will bring it live and then have an impromptu presser with the man in charge of the corps ops.

Can someone post a link to a Youtube video of it, once it gets put up, for those who might miss it live?

Wow, that sure didn't look like a 2 mile stretch. I thought it would go for awhile.
It was fast.

It's done, I am looking for instant replay, will post as soon as it goes up.

Eh, I'm not getting anything-- I'll have to catch it on TV, later. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back