892 users online (128 members and 764 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642

    Double waterspouts form off Hawaii shore (with video)

    Two tall and skinny waterspouts appeared off the south shore of Oahu, Hawaii yesterday, as some of the bad weather that has lately assailed the U.S. mainland has now alighted on the Pacific island.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...f-hawaii-shore


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    Cool~!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,318
    Wow! Great pics. Thanks for posting!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,573
    Last edited by KateB; 06-13-2015 at 11:27 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,195
    The storm was very unusual and extreme for HI.

    There is rarely lightening here much less the reported over 45 thousand lightening ground strikes in a 30 hour period.

    Because it is very unusual the lightening, the water spouts off Oahu (and hail on Maui) there isn't a point of reference for the general public that there is for say the midwest. KWIM?

    The water spouts while fascinating to look at happen so rarely here that as you saw in the video the surfers continued to stay in the water (some of them) which is a very dangerous thing to do. Water spouts can capsize larger boats and drown swimmers quickly by the water disturbance.

    It was an impressive storm. I went to pick up a daughter from soccer practice and pulled her out of the practice because that although they will practice through pouring rain (it pours here more often than not, we are not at the same elevation as say Honolulu) they have lightening so few times here that there isn't a comprehensive school plan to call off practice when there is lightening. KWIM? Coaches didn't mind and conferred and shortly thereafter called off the practice themselves. (there were a few parents that originate from the mainland that were there to pull their child up asking about the plans for lightening---no big issue). That does not in any way make the locals appear ignorant it simply means if you aren't exposed to an element and have personal experience it can be difficult to anticipate a possible outcome.

    It's kind of like the explanation of the history of tsunamis in cultures that had no written history. (a great many south pacific cultures did not for quite a while, I'm talking historically not recent by any means). That the truly devastating tsunamis happened so far apart and so infrequently that the oral history of the warning signs of the incoming tsunami weren't known to all inhabitants. Thereby there was always a catastrophic loss of life during those historical periods in history on those islands.

    Not my own thoughts directly above just sharing a history that I have learned while living in the land of rainbows and a respect I have developed for those cultures.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    The storm was very unusual and extreme for HI.

    There is rarely lightening here much less the reported over 45 thousand lightening ground strikes in a 30 hour period.

    Because it is very unusual the lightening, the water spouts off Oahu (and hail on Maui) there isn't a point of reference for the general public that there is for say the midwest. KWIM?....
    My niece (who lives on the east coast of Oahu) is from Columbus by way of Indianapolis.

    She said she had never heard thunder as loud as what she heard in Hawaii yesterday.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,195
    I"m dead center of the island Nova. However, my home is upwards the side of the west ridge (the two ridges that are remains for ancient volcanic activity, there is a valley so to speak but the valley is at a much higher elevation than any of the coastal areas).

    If you have a chance to visit in the future have her take you to North shore. If it's winter make sure to check the news before heading out (she'll know this) and check wave levels. They can be 20-30+ feet and are an amazing sight to see. If it is safe enough (lower wave levels) you can go to a beach area in a state park called Ka'ena Point. It's our sweet spot. Very little people at any given time you might see less than a hundred people on a 2 miles stretch of continual beach and only locals or military are there. You would love it. I promise.

    Winter time: (beach is closed often)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6xAz...eature=related

    Summer time: (the time we go as a family quick clip)




    Sorry for the off topic all
    Last edited by KateB; 06-13-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I"m dead center of the island Nova. However, my home is upwards the side of the west ridge (the two ridges that are remains for ancient volcanic activity, there is a valley so to speak but the valley is at a much higher elevation than any of the coastal areas).

    If you have a chance to visit in the future have her take you to North shore. If it's winter make sure to check the news before heading out (she'll know this) and check wave levels. They can be 20-30+ feet and are an amazing sight to see. If it is safe enough (lower wave levels) you can go to a beach area in a state park called Ka'ena Point. It's our sweet spot. Very little people at any given time you might see less than a hundred people on a 2 miles stretch of continual beach and only locals or military are there. You would love it. I promise.

    Winter time: (beach is closed often)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6xAz...eature=related

    Summer time: (the time we go as a family quick clip)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJzxKKT0Wfc


    Sorry for the off topic all
    Thanks, Kat. I went to the North Shore in January of 1994. It was amazing.

    (Our daughter taught school in Nanaculi for the first year after she graduated from college. She and her husband then returned to Massachusetts, so I'm glad we visited while we had the chance.

    I'm sure we'll come back some time while my niece is there.)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    where no man has boldy gone
    Posts
    3,642
    What is up with this weather? I was watching a funnel cloud the other day, luckily for me it stayed above the trees and touched down in northern Georgia. I don't like it, I don't like it at all. I left Fla. because my house was hit twice by F-1 tornadoes and now here they come again. I'm the Osama Bin Laden of tornadoes. I just hope I don't end up with a 2 x4 between the eyes.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

    Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,195
    Hawaii has been hit by some pretty bad storms the past week but especially yesterday.

    Posting to ask Nova if his niece is doing okay? Lot's of flooding but no life's lost or injuries.

    http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/14841383/flasgh


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Hawaii has been hit by some pretty bad storms the past week but especially yesterday.

    Posting to ask Nova if his niece is doing okay? Lot's of flooding but no life's lost or injuries.

    http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/14841383/flasgh
    Thanks for asking, Kat. My niece returned to Indianapolis for summer break--just in time for tornado warnings there! But she's fine.

    I trust you and your family are well...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,195
    http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/1...r-central-oahu

    Have actual pics of this on my daughter's facebook.

    It dissipated before it touched down. There was one back in 2004 that did touch down.

    I'm on an island the size of a frog's hindend. Me no likey tornados---tsunami? check, can handle that, hurricane? check, can handle that, earthquake? check can handle that---but tornado's make me as nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Eeek.



Similar Threads

  1. Alzheimer's could be a form of diabetes
    By Dark Knight in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-30-2005, 08:14 PM
  2. something to think about before signing the consent form
    By indigomood in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 07:10 AM