Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    I am happy to know that Christian was loved by his aunts!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MorenoI For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Teacher: Gary boy sweet, energetic

Christian Choate was a sweet, cute blond-haired little boy with lots of energy, one of his teachers said.

Sheila Bechinski, a first-grade teacher at Hosford Park Elementary School in Gary, said when she had Christian as a student, he was living with his mother and her boyfriend.

"He was a very sweet little boy, high energy like most kids his age," she said.

Bechinski said she often saw the mother's boyfriend who would come to the school whenever requested

Sounds like when Christian was enrolled as a 1st grader it was his mothers boyfriend at the time who was perhaps the main caregiver.

I guess I am unsure, given dads criminal record and moms boyfriend being what appears to be (at least externally) the main caregiver how ultimately no one intervened during the time he was enrolled at Hosford.

And when he was pulled from school in March of 2005 (a few months prior to his mom leaving in July of 2005) why there was no follow up to ensure he was re-enrolled and attending school?

Where was the sister who ultimately reported his death attending school? I assume they attended the same school, at least through the spring of 2005.

Does Indiana not have required physicals for KG or by such and such a date for 1st graders? Do they not have required dental exams for students at a certain grade?

It's hard to understand how this child fell through so many cracks. Very very sad.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Christian's body will remain at the Lake County coroner's office until DNA testing can confirm the identity, Adams said.

The body then will be released to Ridgelawn Funeral Home and Ridgelawn Cemetery, whose owner Robert Williams said he is donating full burial services to the family because he feels "obligated" to help.

"That's why we're here," he said. "To service the families under any circumstances."
    http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/l...2ffc3b7be.html

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

I am glad Christian will receive a proper burial. Thanks go to Ridgelawn for stepping up to offer their services.

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to tlcya For This Useful Post:

Oh bless, and LE thought this 12 year old child was a runaway. 2 years is a very long time for a youngster like that to be missing.

Bless his heart - he can rest in peace now.

Please Lord, if you're listening, please no more missing children. The heart can only take so much.

Hugs,

Mel

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Melanie For This Useful Post:

LE was unaware til very recently. The child was never reported missing. Because his father and stepmother were apparently responsible for killing and burying him and his bio mother was reported to have either "given him and his sister up because she didn't want to raise them" or "father won custody even though he is abusive" depending which report you wish to believe. NOt a soul reporetd that this child had been "missing" for two years.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tlcya For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tlcox View Post
    LE was unaware til very recently. The child was never reported missing. Because his father and stepmother were apparently responsible for killing and burying him and his bio mother was reported to have either "given him and his sister up because she didn't want to raise them" or "father won custody even though he is abusive" depending which report you wish to believe. NOt a soul reporetd that this child had been "missing" for two years.
    Don't get it! Not a family member, friend, the school? A 12 year old isn't exactly out of sight (well at least mine isn't). An employer who asks - do you need health insurance for your child. OMGosh so many scenarios.

I know that if a friend of my sons 12 year old went missing, I'd be all over it like glue. Where was the extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, neices, nephews).

Oh he's gone....oh well.

I'm gobsmaked!

Mel

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Melanie For This Useful Post:

More charges could be filed Saturday in the case of a boy found encased in cement and buried in a Gary, Indiana mobile home park on Wednesday.

snip....An anonymous tip from an out-of-state caller, Sunday, sent county police searching Black Oak neighborhood trailer parks.
    http://www.wgntv.com/wgntv-gary-char...,2724663.story

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

A resident of Gary's Black Oak neighborhood, Christian began his public education in Lake Ridge Schools, district officials said. They said he finished kindergarten, two years of first grade and began his second-grade year at Hosford Park Elementary School in Gary.

He was withdrawn in March 2005, three months before school was over for the summer, and transferred to Merrillville Community School Corp
    http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/l...7022687d8.html

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

“In Kentucky, detectives executed several search warrants and have been taking statements from several individuals,” Assistant Chief Dan Murchek said Friday.

“They will be back either late tonight or early tomorrow.”
    http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2180456&spid=

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Sources say Christian was being home-schooled at the time he disappeared.

http://www.wgntv.com/wgntv-gary-char...,2724663.story

So many questions in this case. I don't know much about home schooling, however with what we know were excessive absenses prior to being pulled/transfered from school in March 2005 was Christian ever working with the school social worker?

What kind of follow up occurs with home schooling?
    If a child is being home schooled and is suddenly no longer participating in any kind of state approved (I think there is some kind of state approved schools or something along those lines) what kind of follow up is required to ensure the child is still being educated?

I'm thinking along the lines of Christians case and cases similiar to his. Child has problems while in school - either due to abuse, neglect and parent pulls child from school under the guise of home schooling to avoid detection of abuse or neglect. Is there any kind of reporting with children suddenly not participating in home schooling programs?
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Cubby if you look at the NWITimes article that I posted, it gives a good overview about Christians school enrollment and his switch to home school. And what the oversight is with home school, which in that state is virtually none.

I just did a check and I'm not seeing any additional charges at this point. Anyone else see anything?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

I have been home schooling for 23 years in Indiana. Yes, we have a quite hands-off law. 99.9% of us do a good job, are diligent and have our children's best interest at heart.

Sadly, homeschooling laws are occasionally 'used' to cover up educational neglect, physical neglect and rarely abuse. Legitimate home schoolers are horrified by this.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to marycarney For This Useful Post:

As yet no one has been charged in the murder. Media said yesterday that more charges were expected on Sat. but I just checked and there aren't any new articles about new charges.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

Maybe Monday......

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marycarney For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast