Top 20 Baby Names of 2010

Jacob and Isabella....Is that because of Twilight? Has there been an increase in teen pregnancy?

I was in '92 and we didn't even have anyone named Ethan, Jayden, Noah, Aiden, Mason, Andrew, Logan, Sophia, Madison, Mia, Addison, Ella, Natalie, Lily, or Grace in my high school during the years I was there, and we had about 1800 kids in my school. I've never even met anyone named Aiden, Mia, Lily, or Addison. But for '92, there are people in my grade (and the classes right before and after us) who had all of those names. My name ranks #837 down 200 spots from the year 2000.

if you want to avoid a top 10 name - you can take my brother's advice and name all of your children after ski areas. :crazy:

I would just like to share that my name is a good name and yet ignored as a classic as I am. Only four letters and not a spelling challenge. Apparently, I'm extremely special if mine hasn't made the list in eons. :D

I would just like to share that my name is a good name and yet ignored as a classic as I am. Only four letters and not a spelling challenge. Apparently, I'm extremely special if mine hasn't made the list in eons. :D

Joan? or Ruth?

Mona? Jill? Lana? Nora? Lucy? Reba?
:D

I didn't realize my daughters name was so popular. I have not heard another child/baby in my area named Natalie. My son when he was born his name ranked at 152 now 6 years later its in the 60's, again I have not heard my sons name, only the nicknames off of longer names.

Many of the top ten names do not bother me. Jayden is one that does bother me. But most of the rest are actual, real names.
There is a trend I see with using "designer" names. The spelling is made up or the name is made up or both. I.e., Jaycee, Maycee, Kragen, Kaden, Kadence, Salee, etc. I could go on and on with variations in spelling, etc.
I believe in this rule of thumb: use biblical names, family names or names that reflect the child's heritage. So, if the kid has Russian heritage or Irish, African, Italian, whatever, then the name can be a classical name from one of those regions. If there is a great aunt Isabel, then the kid can be named after her, etc. And use the normal spelling. Don't be "cRee8tivv".
I think that reduces the use of so-called "designer" names which IMO, can sometimes reflect to others a lack of education or maturity on the part of the parents and that can affect the kids as they grow up. Can you imagine a president Makynzi Irelynd Smith? I can't.

Okay, here's what we need. Mariah Carey has named her newborn twins:

http://articles.philly.com/2011-05-05/entertainment/29512985_1_virginia-film-bob-mcdonnell

MARIAH CAREY and Nick Cannon have revealed the names they've picked for their newborn boy and girl twins, and Tattle sure wishes they'd given it a wee bit more thought. The two monickers they chose are Moroccan and Monroe. Monroe is the girl. The couple chose to name their son Moroccan Scott Cannon after the Moroccan-inspired decor of the top tier of Mariah's New York City apartment. He thus becomes the first child ever to be named after riad architecture.

Hmm, I smell a trend. There are tons of countries with architecture and lots of good names that stand unused. Moroccan, Algerian, Egyptian, Italian, Maltese, Czech, Armenian...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back