799 users online (166 members and 633 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 143
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The beautiful roundabout of Context, Veracity, and JUSTICE
    Posts
    11,424

    Penalty/Sentencing Phase

    http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...a4bcf6878.html

    "Coleman appeared dejected as Parkinson described the brutal nature of the crime. The prosecutor described the ligature marks around the necks of Sheri Coleman, 31, and their two sons, Garett, 11, and Gavin, 9, and how Coleman plotted the murders since November, when he began a sexual relationship with a Florida cocktail waitress.

    John O'Gara, a defense attorney, tried stressing to the jurors that they no longer have to be unanimous. If one had said Coleman wasn't eligible, the proceedings would have ended, and Coleman would have automatically gotten life in prison."
    You can hold back from the suffering of the world. You have free permission to do so and it is in accordance with your nature.
    But perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could have avoided.
    Franz Kafka

    Be not simply good. Be good for something.
    HDT

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    126
    dejected eh? Should have thought of that before he murdered 3 people...no one to blame except for himself....hope he has a lonely weekend thinking about what he has done...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,234
    There's a limerick in there somewhere:

    Quote Originally Posted by ynotdivein View Post
    Coleman appeared dejected
    ...as he pondered himself injected,

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    20,003
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb0124 View Post
    There's a limerick in there somewhere:



    ...as he pondered himself injected,
    Have they made a decision?

    ETA: nevermind DP eligible.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,812
    Quote Originally Posted by ynotdivein View Post
    http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...a4bcf6878.html

    "Coleman appeared dejected as Parkinson described the brutal nature of the crime. The prosecutor described the ligature marks around the necks of Sheri Coleman, 31, and their two sons, Garett, 11, and Gavin, 9, and how Coleman plotted the murders since November, when he began a sexual relationship with a Florida cocktail waitress.

    John O'Gara, a defense attorney, tried stressing to the jurors that they no longer have to be unanimous. If one had said Coleman wasn't eligible, the proceedings would have ended, and Coleman would have automatically gotten life in prison."
    You know, after seeing that disgusting smirk on his face in the cop car yesterday pre-verdict, I think he honestly believed himself to be smarter than everyone else right up till he heard "GUILTY - GUILTY - GUILTY!"

    He must have been shocked.

    Wonder where that promise ring is today?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the prowl
    Posts
    26,409
    "Coleman will be back in court Monday at 10am. The state may not call many witnesses. They've proved their case but Monday and Tuesday may come down more to the defense convincing the jury Chris Coleman has a reason to live."

    http://www.kplr11.com/news/ktvi-cole...,4004741.story

    Very appropriate wording, imo. I believe the jury will have to hear something powerful to convince them he should not receive the DP - even if it is in "name only" and never carried out. MOO
    Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,037
    Okeydokey...

    I'm biting on the limerick -- who's going to top it off?

    JRB, you? How about you Adnoid?

    Coleman appeared dejected (the news)
    as he pondered himself injected (jrb0124)
    Have they made a decision? (RR0004)
    Can we use nu'clear fission? (Wrinkles)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    W

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,812
    Quote Originally Posted by panthera View Post
    "Coleman will be back in court Monday at 10am. The state may not call many witnesses. They've proved their case but Monday and Tuesday may come down more to the defense convincing the jury Chris Coleman has a reason to live."

    http://www.kplr11.com/news/ktvi-cole...,4004741.story

    Very appropriate wording, imo. I believe the jury will have to hear something powerful to convince them he should not receive the DP - even if it is in "name only" and never carried out. MOO
    I can't imagine what they could say. I can recall few cases in which there was such cold, calculated premeditation. I suppose they could use TL as an example of what he has to live for but, somehow, I just don't think that'll help.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,037
    So....

    Thank you for the link Panthera... Reading there:

    >>Coleman's defense attorney John O'Gara approached the jury very soft spoken telling them that, "Everyone respects your decision." He attempted to persuade them to end it all. Now saying "If you don't unanimously agree, that concludes your jury service."<<

    Can you just hear some of them thinking? "Yeah right, I am so bent out of shape about jury service that I'm not going to stick around to make sure this guy gets what he deserves? Nah..."

    Chris Hayes reported:

    >>Coleman will be back in court Monday at 10am. The state may not call many witnesses. They've proved their case but Monday and Tuesday may come down more to the defense convincing the jury Chris Coleman has a reason to live.<<

    Well Chris, I think it might come down to something very interesting -- and maybe something VERY boring.

    This was a big deal in the defense interviewing the jurors, "Look at him, look, if you found Chris guilty of the murders of his wife and children, could you be open minded about listening to arguments for life in prison?" (maybe he added, "instead of the death penalty?") Yah...really, that was some of the questioning -- he had the prospective jurors look at Chris sitting only feet from them and then asked them that question (or something just like it.)

    Would the defense try to guilt them? Would he dare?

    Would he say something about his jail house evangelism? Oh man...

    What arguments will he use, and I might guess go on and on and on with to try and sway the jury to give the guy life in prison instead of the death penalty?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    W

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the prowl
    Posts
    26,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkles View Post
    So....

    Thank you for the link Panthera... Reading there:

    (respectfully snipped)

    Would he say something about his jail house evangelism? Oh man...

    What arguments will he use, and I might guess go on and on and on with to try and sway the jury to give the guy life in prison instead of the death penalty?
    You're welcome! Addressing his jail house evangelism: he was employed for Joyce Meyer Ministries when he committed these murders. I seriously doubt if the defense brings up the topic of him ministering to inmates it will hold any ground with the jury; in fact they might find it almost laughable. Another thing is that during most penalty phases when the defense addresses why the convicted murderer should be spared the DP it is usually so that his/her children won't have him/her taken away from them. Another moot point here since Coleman murdered his two children, in addition to his wife. Therefore, I honestly can't think of one reason that may spare him. MOO
    Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,812
    Quote Originally Posted by panthera View Post
    You're welcome! Addressing his jail house evangelism: he was employed for Joyce Meyer Ministries when he committed these murders. I seriously doubt if the defense brings up the topic of him ministering to inmates it will hold any ground with the jury; in fact they might find it almost laughable. Another thing is that during most penalty phases when the defense addresses why the convicted murderer should be spared the DP it is usually so that his/her children won't have him/her taken away from them. Another moot point here since Coleman murdered his two children, in addition to his wife. Therefore, I honestly can't think of one reason that may spare him. MOO
    Exactly what I was thinking! But I swear, if they even attempt to use his "religious background" to help his cause, I will toss my cookies. I can't begin to imagine a more sickening, hypocritical scenario.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the prowl
    Posts
    26,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairy1 View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking! But I swear, if they even attempt to use his "religious background" to help his cause, I will toss my cookies. I can't begin to imagine a more sickening, hypocritical scenario.
    I believe that would certainly negate any possible thoughts a juror may have for sparing his life. In some states it hasn't even worked (or spared an inmate lethal injection) when an inmate truly did convert to Christianity while in prison; therefore, how much worse it is when someone supposedly already was one when he committed the murders. MOO
    Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkles View Post
    What arguments will he use, and I might guess go on and on and on with to try and sway the jury to give the guy life in prison instead of the death penalty?

    Maybe they'll get someone from Grace Church to read the letters of support that the Sunday school kids were forced to write to him. After all, how could the jury ignore all those precious children who "believe" in CC's innocence and destroy their faith in a merciful God?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    So Illinois
    Posts
    942
    I wish this part of the trial could be televised! I'd love to see who says what about the devout CHRIStian. Hopefully someone will be able to write word for word what is said. OTOH, I'd think Sheri's mom and brother would be saying something and Kathy LaPlante ought to be allowed to speak as to Chris's value to society.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,037
    Hiya All,

    Thought I would hop in with note of a video wherein Chris Hayes interviews author Cuneo. You might want to hear some of their reactions -- not about the penalty phase, but about the verdict night.

    At anyrate, I hadn't seen this but thought Cuneo's comment about the crowd clapping, but he didn't hear screaming for blood letting (so to speak). They applauded, but it was like it was an applause of relief. I found that interesting, and so did Cuneo.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    W

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 275
    Last Post: 04-13-2016, 10:03 PM
  2. Penalty Phase #13
    By beach in forum Travis Alexander Trial - The State vs. Jodi Arias
    Replies: 3251
    Last Post: 05-22-2013, 01:34 AM
  3. penalty phase #11
    By beach in forum Travis Alexander Trial - The State vs. Jodi Arias
    Replies: 1973
    Last Post: 05-16-2013, 11:58 PM
  4. penalty phase #10
    By beach in forum Travis Alexander Trial - The State vs. Jodi Arias
    Replies: 1918
    Last Post: 05-16-2013, 04:24 PM

Tags for this Thread