Penalty/Sentencing Phase

ynotdivein

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_1cd3070e-77e2-11e0-8230-001a4bcf6878.html

"Coleman appeared dejected as Parkinson described the brutal nature of the crime. The prosecutor described the ligature marks around the necks of Sheri Coleman, 31, and their two sons, Garett, 11, and Gavin, 9, and how Coleman plotted the murders since November, when he began a sexual relationship with a Florida cocktail waitress.

John O'Gara, a defense attorney, tried stressing to the jurors that they no longer have to be unanimous. If one had said Coleman wasn't eligible, the proceedings would have ended, and Coleman would have automatically gotten life in prison."

dejected eh? Should have thought of that before he murdered 3 people...no one to blame except for himself....hope he has a lonely weekend thinking about what he has done...

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_1cd3070e-77e2-11e0-8230-001a4bcf6878.html

"Coleman appeared dejected as Parkinson described the brutal nature of the crime. The prosecutor described the ligature marks around the necks of Sheri Coleman, 31, and their two sons, Garett, 11, and Gavin, 9, and how Coleman plotted the murders since November, when he began a sexual relationship with a Florida cocktail waitress.

John O'Gara, a defense attorney, tried stressing to the jurors that they no longer have to be unanimous. If one had said Coleman wasn't eligible, the proceedings would have ended, and Coleman would have automatically gotten life in prison."

You know, after seeing that disgusting smirk on his face in the cop car yesterday pre-verdict, I think he honestly believed himself to be smarter than everyone else right up till he heard "GUILTY - GUILTY - GUILTY!"

He must have been shocked.

Wonder where that promise ring is today?

"Coleman will be back in court Monday at 10am. The state may not call many witnesses. They've proved their case but Monday and Tuesday may come down more to the defense convincing the jury Chris Coleman has a reason to live."

http://www.kplr11.com/news/ktvi-coleman-eligible-death-penalty-050611,0,4004741.story

Very appropriate wording, imo. I believe the jury will have to hear something powerful to convince them he should not receive the DP - even if it is in "name only" and never carried out. MOO

Okeydokey...

I'm biting on the limerick -- who's going to top it off?

JRB, you? How about you ?

Coleman appeared dejected (the news)
as he pondered himself injected (jrb0124)
Have they made a decision? (RR0004)
Can we use nu'clear fission? (Wrinkles)

"Coleman will be back in court Monday at 10am. The state may not call many witnesses. They've proved their case but Monday and Tuesday may come down more to the defense convincing the jury Chris Coleman has a reason to live."

http://www.kplr11.com/news/ktvi-coleman-eligible-death-penalty-050611,0,4004741.story

Very appropriate wording, imo. I believe the jury will have to hear something powerful to convince them he should not receive the DP - even if it is in "name only" and never carried out. MOO

I can't imagine what they could say. I can recall few cases in which there was such cold, calculated premeditation. I suppose they could use TL as an example of what he has to live for but, somehow, I just don't think that'll help.

So....

Thank you for the link Panthera... Reading there:

>>Coleman's defense attorney John O'Gara approached the jury very soft spoken telling them that, "Everyone respects your decision." He attempted to persuade them to end it all. Now saying "If you don't unanimously agree, that concludes your jury service."<<

Can you just hear some of them thinking? "Yeah right, I am so bent out of shape about jury service that I'm not going to stick around to make sure this guy gets what he deserves? Nah..."

Chris Hayes reported:

>>Coleman will be back in court Monday at 10am. The state may not call many witnesses. They've proved their case but Monday and Tuesday may come down more to the defense convincing the jury Chris Coleman has a reason to live.<<

Well Chris, I think it might come down to something very interesting -- and maybe something VERY boring.

This was a big deal in the defense interviewing the jurors, "Look at him, look, if you found Chris guilty of the murders of his wife and children, could you be open minded about listening to arguments for life in prison?" (maybe he added, "instead of the death penalty?") Yah...really, that was some of the questioning -- he had the prospective jurors look at Chris sitting only feet from them and then asked them that question (or something just like it.)

Would the defense try to guilt them? Would he dare?

Would he say something about his jail house evangelism? Oh man...

What arguments will he use, and I might guess go on and on and on with to try and sway the jury to give the guy life in prison instead of the death penalty?

So....

Thank you for the link Panthera... Reading there:

(respectfully snipped)

Would he say something about his jail house evangelism? Oh man...

What arguments will he use, and I might guess go on and on and on with to try and sway the jury to give the guy life in prison instead of the death penalty?
You're welcome! Addressing his jail house evangelism: he was employed for Joyce Meyer Ministries when he committed these murders. I seriously doubt if the defense brings up the topic of him ministering to inmates it will hold any ground with the jury; in fact they might find it almost laughable. Another thing is that during most penalty phases when the defense addresses why the convicted murderer should be spared the DP it is usually so that his/her children won't have him/her taken away from them. Another moot point here since Coleman murdered his two children, in addition to his wife. Therefore, I honestly can't think of one reason that may spare him. MOO

You're welcome! Addressing his jail house evangelism: he was employed for Joyce Meyer Ministries when he committed these murders. I seriously doubt if the defense brings up the topic of him ministering to inmates it will hold any ground with the jury; in fact they might find it almost laughable. Another thing is that during most penalty phases when the defense addresses why the convicted murderer should be spared the DP it is usually so that his/her children won't have him/her taken away from them. Another moot point here since Coleman murdered his two children, in addition to his wife. Therefore, I honestly can't think of one reason that may spare him. MOO

Exactly what I was thinking! But I swear, if they even attempt to use his "religious background" to help his cause, I will toss my cookies. I can't begin to imagine a more sickening, hypocritical scenario.

Exactly what I was thinking! But I swear, if they even attempt to use his "religious background" to help his cause, I will toss my cookies. I can't begin to imagine a more sickening, hypocritical scenario.

I believe that would certainly negate any possible thoughts a juror may have for sparing his life. In some states it hasn't even worked (or spared an inmate lethal injection) when an inmate truly did convert to Christianity while in prison; therefore, how much worse it is when someone supposedly already was one when he committed the murders. MOO

Maybe they'll get someone from Grace Church to read the letters of support that the Sunday school kids were forced to write to him. After all, how could the jury ignore all those precious children who "believe" in CC's innocence and destroy their faith in a merciful God? :boohoo:

I wish this part of the trial could be televised! I'd love to see who says what about the devout CHRIStian. Hopefully someone will be able to write word for word what is said. OTOH, I'd think Sheri's mom and brother would be saying something and Kathy LaPlante ought to be allowed to speak as to Chris's value to society.

Hiya All,

Thought I would hop in with note of a video wherein Chris Hayes interviews author Cuneo. You might want to hear some of their reactions -- not about the penalty phase, but about the verdict night.

At anyrate, I hadn't seen this but thought Cuneo's comment about the crowd clapping, but he didn't hear screaming for blood letting (so to speak). They applauded, but it was like it was an applause of relief. I found that interesting, and so did Cuneo.

Interesting video from Fox2 with Chet Pleban a well known semi controversial lawyer in the St Louis area. I loved his remark at the end that maybe the defense should've been 'no one could be this stupid' :applause:

Interesting video from Fox2 with Chet Pleban a well known semi controversial lawyer in the St Louis area. I loved his remark at the end that maybe the defense should've been 'no one could be this stupid' :applause:

:floorlaugh:
Apparently the news anchors didn't want to go "there"!! I LOVED it! Plebin spoke the truth!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back