605 users online (87 members and 518 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Slut Walk Toronto

BOSTON (Reuters) – The dress code is casual, but the message is serious: no matter what you are wearing, no one invites sexual assault.

Thousands of marchers are expected on Saturday in Boston for "Slutwalk" the provocative name for a movement begun after a Toronto policeman suggested in January that women could avoid sexual assault by not dressing like a "slut."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110506/...ssault_protest

And, here is some spin from the Toronto Police Department regarding the comment by the officer:

In Toronto, the police department said its consistent message is that the victim is never to blame.
    Comments made by one officer "did not and do not reflect the service as a whole," said spokeswoman Constable Wendy Drummond.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

As far as I'm concerned this label is the same sick thinking society has blindly accepted to label woman and girls for years.

I don't condone the title for this walk.
    It's so vulgar and just another form of abuse!!
    It is absolutely not acceptable.
    I personally feel it may very well cause added psychological trauma to some of the victims participating.

Why can't they continue to call this walk "Take back the night" ?? I've participated in several of these...I would not participate now with the new title.

Anything for headlines and to get people talking but really do we want it called Slut Walk?

By perpetuating this vulgar term you are putting yourself on the same level as the officer
    who made the comment
    jmo
    "The dead cannot cry out for justice; it is a duty of the living to do so for them."
    ★★★★★ ღ♥Lois McMaster Bujold♥ღ ★★★★★

I have participated in several Take Back the Night walks as well-I cant decide how I feel about the title of the Walk. It is attention grabbing, which will rivet people looking at the headlines.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

I was listening to an interview of one of the organizers and they kept referring to it as a powerful word. They are taking back the word that has been used to shame them, making it their own and spinning it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    I was listening to an interview of one of the organizers and they kept referring to it as a powerful word. They are taking back the word that has been used to shame them, making it their own and spinning it.
    I'm not sure what they are "spinning" but it will not change the accepted defination of the word. Regardless of how they try to transform it, the negative connotations will forever remain.

For an (extreme) example this would be akin to:
    Germany taking back the nazi label and reinserting it as a descripive of the German people. Two negatives do not equal a positive.
    "The dead cannot cry out for justice; it is a duty of the living to do so for them."
    ★★★★★ ღ♥Lois McMaster Bujold♥ღ ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Bug View Post
    I'm not sure what they are "spinning" but it will not change the accepted defination of the word. Regardless of how they try to transform it, the negative connotations will forever remain.

For an (extreme) example this would be akin to:
    Germany taking back the nazi label and reinserting it as a descripive of the German people. Two negatives do not equal a positive.
    I think part of it is that a slut is generally a promiscuous woman. Their point is in part that it is no one's business if they give their sex to whomever they choose, but it does not leave them open to sexual attack.
    They are taking back and owning the word, but are saying whatever we are, we do not deserve to be sexually violated.
    It has cause people like you and I to start dialogue and bring attention to a very serious issue.
    I get it.

>>
    Historically, the term ‘slut’ has carried a predominantly negative connotation. Aimed at those who are sexually promiscuous, be it for work or pleasure, it has primarily been women who have suffered under the burden of this label. And whether dished out as a serious indictment of one’s character or merely as a flippant insult, the intent behind the word is always to wound, so we’re taking it back. “Slut” is being re-appropriated.
    We are tired of being oppressed by slut-shaming; of being judged by our sexuality and feeling unsafe as a result. Being in charge of our sexual lives should not mean that we are opening ourselves to an expectation of violence, regardless if we participate in sex for pleasure or work. No one should equate enjoying sex with attracting sexual assault<<
    http://www.slutwalktoronto.com/

What happened to personal responsibility on both sides?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie09 View Post
    What happened to personal responsibility on both sides?
    Not quite sure I understand your question. Are you debating the women part vs the men and what lack of definition could be described to them? Curious....
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

I think the title is powerful-- it aptly underscores the absurdity of that type of warped thinking/labeling. It's a shameful way to view women and this bold title's purpose is to shame the men/women who recognize themselves.

I think it's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryLife View Post
    Not quite sure I understand your question. Are you debating the women part vs the men and what lack of definition could be described to them? Curious....
    I mean women owe it to ourselves to be smart about where we go, and and what we do not relying on something silly like putting power into the word slut to make men think. We should be thinking about our own actions.

I mean women owe it to ourselves to be smart about where we go, and and what we do not relying on something silly like putting power into the word slut to make men think. We should be thinking about our own actions.
    The whole point is that it's not about a woman's actions, her dress, the look she gave-- rape is a violent crime that is NEVER invited. No one is a "slut" btw, only your perception of one. MO

Quote Originally Posted by Quiche View Post
    The whole point is that it's not about a woman's actions, her dress, the look she gave-- rape is a violent crime that is NEVER invited. No one is a "slut" btw, only your perception of one. MO

Pedestrians don't ask to be hit by cars either, but if they step off the curb without being responsible for looking for oncoming traffic - they get squished.

Pedestrians don't ask to be hit by cars either, but if they step off the curb without being responsible for looking for oncoming traffic - they get squished.
    Huh? One is an accident, the other a violent crime, I don't see the comparison. I know exactly where your post is coming from, however, and it makes me wish there was a SlutWalk in my region, I'd go in a heartbeat. mo

Quote Originally Posted by Quiche View Post
    Huh? One is an accident, the other a violent crime, I don't see the comparison. I know exactly where your post is coming from, however, and it makes me wish there was a SlutWalk in my region, I'd go in a heartbeat. mo
    that's great - nothing was meant personally.

I just think women owe it to themselves to take their safety and value as women more seriously.

that's great - nothing was meant personally.

I just think women owe it to themselves to take their safety and value as women more seriously.
    Did you see the woman's statement who was raped wearing jeans and a sweatshirt? The crime is not about being sexually provocative, it really isn't-- and just because a woman is a modest dresser, believe me, she isn't immune to being horribly violated. Please know that. jmo
    Last edited by Quiche; 05-07-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: clarify statement

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast