810 users online (125 members and 685 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    KISS and common sense apply here.

The affair was the motive for the divorce. The divorce was a motive for the murder.

JMHO
    fran
    I personally don't see the divorce as motive for murder. There are some relationships where the spouse is very controlling and won't let their spouse leave or divorce them and things get volatile. They won't let them go. (If I can't have you no one can, type of thing). I don't see indication of that in their marriage so I don't see the divorce as motive.

Madeleine74 is offline Of course it's my opinion; who else's would it be?
    I think the Google search may have been found before arrest. Not totally sure on that, but I think so.

Being divorced in and of itself probably is not a motive--but the money that is required to get divorced and then the settlements of property, assets, 401K, stock, etc, etc, can add up to a significant amount. Then there's alimony and child support.

Financial pressure or incentive is often a reason or a motive for crimes, including murder. Add in anger/rage and it's a potent cocktail.

People who were pointing their finger at JP used financial pressure as their reason for a 'motive' for him. Except JP wasn't under any financial pressure from Nancy.

Brad was, or would have been.

Quote Originally Posted by huck22 View Post
    As a quiet, introverted man, this quote scares the hell out of me. I've always followed the Twain mindset that it's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Gossip queens are far worse because they inject their opinions into the minds of others, who often accept those words as fact.
    Naw, I don't think quiet and devoid of expression and reaction are the same. I don't think quiet and having even people who've known you for years not really know who you are are the same thing either. Even of the people who testified in BC's defense, not one of them had an insight into who he was or what he was like as a person. All those years, and not a clue as to his inner workings. Definitely not the same thing as quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine74 View Post
    Being divorced in and of itself probably is not a motive--but the money that is required to get divorced and then the settlements of property, assets, 401K, stock, etc, etc, can add up to a significant amount. Then there's alimony and child support.

Financial pressure or incentive is often a reason or a motive for crimes, including murder. Add in anger/rage and it's a potent cocktail.

People who were pointing their finger at JP used financial pressure as their reason for a 'motive' for him. Except JP wasn't under any financial pressure from Nancy.

Brad was, or would have been.
    I disagree about JP. I am 99% convinced that child is his. She looks exactly like JP. I saw the resemblance immediately, down to the left droopy eye. NC was saying something negative about him, he claims he doesn't remember. What was that all about? This was a lead that needed to be investigated thoroughly.

I disagree about financial pressure. He made decent money and his income would have continued to go up. He knew that.

I think the Google search may have been found before arrest. Not totally sure on that, but I think so.
    I would love to have confirmation on this one way or another because I recall it was late '09? Does anyone know?

I would hope so given the lack of physical evidence.

Until we hear from the jury (if we do), we won't know for sure how 'big' the google search was, but my guess is that it was a 'swing factor'. Anyone else think they would have convicted if that were off the table?

For discussion purposes, if state had entered evidence of the router being in the home on 7/11, I wonder if that would have served as an adequate 'smoking gun' as well.

Sure, the defense might have refuted it (claim it was 'disposed of', claim it was 'returned', claim the logs indicating presence of router were 'planted' too)...but I'm not sure how effective they would have been.

I'm just wondering whether folks still on the fence (or, not convinced the state met the burden) would change position if evidence of the router being present in the home on 7/11 was established.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpstreet View Post
    Until we hear from the jury (if we do), we won't know for sure how 'big' the google search was, but my guess is that it was a 'swing factor'. Anyone else think they would have convicted if that were off the table?

For discussion purposes, if state had entered evidence of the router being in the home on 7/11, I wonder if that would have served as an adequate 'smoking gun' as well.

Sure, the defense might have refuted it (claim it was 'disposed of', claim it was 'returned', claim the logs indicating presence of router were 'planted' too)...but I'm not sure how effective they would have been.

I'm just wondering whether folks still on the fence (or, not convinced the state met the burden) would change position if evidence of the router being present in the home on 7/11 was established.
    I had him at guilty before the google search came in. MOO

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine05 View Post
    I personally don't see the divorce as motive for murder. There are some relationships where the spouse is very controlling and won't let their spouse leave or divorce them and things get volatile. They won't let them go. (If I can't have you no one can, type of thing). I don't see indication of that in their marriage so I don't see the divorce as motive.
    Read the ex-girlfriend's affidavit for a clue as to his behavior the last time someone tried to leave him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottle Cap View Post
    Read the ex-girlfriend's affidavit for a clue as to his behavior the last time someone tried to leave him.
    I have read the ex's stuff and I'm sorry, but to me it is heresay because it is one-sided. I don't believe there is an affidavit. If so, please post the link because I have seen nothing more than messages from her here.

He had no problem with her going drinking with her friends and on extended vacations without him, even with other men. That is not a possessive/controlling husband characteristic.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpstreet View Post

No, because it was more than just the physical presence of the router. There was no record of the call on the Cisco IT system.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine05 View Post
    I would love to have confirmation on this one way or another because I recall it was late '09? Does anyone know?
    I have a memory of reading an article right after the google evidence came out that prosecutors had had the google evidence since early October 2008. I have looked and looked for that article (I want to think I read it on WRAL.com) and can't find it. It's driving me nuts. I want to know for sure, too.

Can't believe I forgot one of the most famous cases that's been followed/argued for 33+ years. Jeffrey MacDonald (NC). Convicted in 1979 for killing his pregnant wife and 2 young daughters in 1970 and has been serving a life sentence. Was the subject of a famous book by Joe McGinnis and that book was made into a TV Movie starring Gary Cole.

Yep, he's had people arguing his innocence ever since, to no avail. And his case was long before there was DNA testing available. In that case there was a lot of blood evidence. Each of the victims and MacDonald had different blood types, so investigators were able to determine who was where in the apt based on blood type. MacDonald's story didn't match the blood evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by lib's mom View Post
    I have a memory of reading an article right after the google evidence came out that prosecutors had had the google evidence since early October 2008. I have looked and looked for that article (I want to think I read it on WRAL.com) and can't find it. It's driving me nuts. I want to know for sure, too.
    I'll keep searching too.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast