714 users online (69 members and 645 guests)  

Websleuths News

dc area

MI - Robert Byrd, 4, tortured, starved to death, aunt & uncle charged, 8 May 2011

Investigators say the dead boy and his brother had moved in with their aunt after their mother passed away years ago ... One neighbor said the kids spent most of every day running around outside unattended.

see also: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/27820665/detail.html

RIP sweetie, you didn't deserve this

He is reported to have had bedsores. Which means that for a long period of time, he wasn't even moving around and still had abuse done to him!

When police arrived at the home nobody was there, so they got a search warrant, Perkins said.

“The first thing that hit us was the smell of bleach and we could tell that the place had been cleaned and mopped,” she said.

West Palm Beach (Palm Beach County) Florida
    Extremely clean home and 6 children??

The smell of bleach, someone was cleaning up evidence! JMO

I don't think you can keep an extremly clean house with 6 children, clean yes but extreme???

I've got 5 and i look around I see socks sticking out from under the coffee table, flip flops, a pair of binnoculars, from under the couch, cheerios spilled from todays after school snack in the middle of the floor, 2 clothe baskets of clothes to be folded and put away on the couch, a folder of homework that spilled just a few minutes ago, toys all over the place as well. That is just my living room within 5 feet of the computer desk LOL

Something definitely hinky with the clean house and 6 kids

Oh Captain, My Captain
    They always call an ambulance or transport to the hospital after. Why is that, I wonder?

I mean, they can torture and brutalize a child over a period of years and months, but when they get the expected outcome (and perhaps desired outcome) of the treatment, they clean up and call an ambulance?

I am too sad to be outraged. And they will get 10-15 years for child abuse, instead of first degree murder. And they will get out for good behavior in three. Especially in this state. Go ahead, MI, prove me wrong.

The reason I know this? Two Words, Kirk Coleman.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Starvation killed 4-year-old Highland Park boy :-(

Poor angel. :-( RIP.

An autopsy determined today that a 4-year-old boy taken from a home on California Street on Mother's Day morning died from starvation and neglect.
    The Wayne County Medical Examiner's office said Robert Byrd, who had been in the care of an uncle and aunt, was 3 feet, 1 inch tall, weighed 24 pounds, and his emaciated body showed extensive bruising. He was found in an unresponsive state by ambulance paramedics called to the home. The death is classified a homicide.

"They starved my son," a crying Anthony Byrd, 31, told family members gathered at his east side home after he identified his son's body at the medical examiner's office.
    The couple moved into the house three or four months ago, Carter said, adding he only saw the man and woman when they arrived and departed. He's not sure he ever saw the 4-year-old.

The home appears to have fallen into recent disrepair. Homes on both sides are well-kept and neat, but the house that was still surrounded today with yellow police crime scene barrier tape, had chipping paint and an unkempt backyard. A couple of small potted flowers were on the front porch with several upholstered seats that appeared to have come from a minivan. Two satellite television receiving dishes were affixed to the porch roof.
    “The truth is rarely pure and never simple.”~Oscar Wilde

Penn's woods

Posted: 06/10/2011
    Video at link

Couple ordered to stand trial in death of 4-year-old boy

How horrible! We live just an hour's drive from there and are in that area often. In fact, we will be in that area tomorrow. Its so very sad. That poor boy.

It just all seems so futile. We cry and are outraged and angry over these cases, but there is always a new one and nothing changes. How do we stop it? We can't. That is the sad fact of the matter. CPS is failing, but society is failing also. What has created these types of people? Are there really more and more cases or is it just better reporting? It seems endless and hopeless. My heart aches for each one of these children who have suffered so deeply.

From April 2012:

Wayne County Circuit Judge Cynthia Gray Hathaway sentenced Randy S. Gardner of Highland Park to 30-60 years in prison for second-degree murder, 10-15 years for torture and 10-15 years for first-degree child abuse for Robert's death on May 8...

A Wayne County Medical Examiner's report revealed that Robert died of starvation and likely suffered long-term abuse. The boy had skin erosions and bruises on about 90% of his body when he died.
    From June 2012:

A Detroit-area woman convicted of murdering her 4-year-old nephew, who authorities say was beaten and tortured to death on Mother's Day last year, has been sentenced to life in prison without parole...

A jury in May convicted her of felony murder, second-degree murder, torture and first-degree child abuse.