1939 users online (332 members and 1607 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 86 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Legal Questions for our VERIFIED Lawyers #3

Continued from here: Attorney Q & A Thread #2

Thank you all for donating your time and expertise!

Does anyone know exactly why they take a deposition for? I watched deposition videos of CA and GA for civil case of Zenaida Gonzales. They asked many questions that I would think they are going to ask in the trial itself anyway? It seems a bit redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by allycat1208 View Post
    Does anyone know exactly why they take a deposition for? I watched deposition videos of CA and GA for civil case of Zenaida Gonzales. They asked many questions that I would think they are going to ask in the trial itself anyway? It seems a bit redundant.
    A deposition is part of the discovery process. It permits parties to question witnesses that may have relevant information pertaining to a case in order to help a party build that case or defense.

AZlawyer : will we ever, ever get to see Mallory's deposition? tia

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSleuth View Post
    A deposition is part of the discovery process. It permits parties to question witnesses that may have relevant information pertaining to a case in order to help a party build that case or defense.
    I get that, but it seems like they ask the same questions. or what do they do....narrow it down to a small amount of pertinent questions? I guess the whole deposition would be too long to have during the trial.

Wow I leave for a few hours and come back to a brand new thread.

uklaw asked this just before the last one closed:
    Why does ICA have an attorney in the civil case? Where does the attorney expect to get paid from?
    She has an attorney in the civil case because it is pretty much impossible to defend yourself in a civil case from jail. IIRC the Anthonys paid the attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by darnudes View Post
    AZlawyer : will we ever, ever get to see Mallory's deposition? tia
    It's been filed with the clerk, so we can see it anytime we can get the money together and send someone down to fetch it.

Quote Originally Posted by allycat1208 View Post
    I get that, but it seems like they ask the same questions. or what do they do....narrow it down to a small amount of pertinent questions? I guess the whole deposition would be too long to have during the trial.
    Usually more questions are asked during a deposition than at trial. The purpose of a deposition (normally but not always) is to find out what the heck the person is going to say at trial so you are not blindsided. The downside is that the witness is not blindsided by your questions at trial either.

"It would seem to me that June 16, 2008 was the last time that the victim was viewed by her grandparents. It became quite evident that from the OS of the Defense that the 16th was a date of great importance and that a so called time line of activities dealing with CA, LA, GA and ICA on the 16th and what, if any, activities took place on the 15th, 16th and 17th of June on 24 hour cycles would have been, at least, of a minimal requirement of review. I take it at some point you had a computer expert look at that data?" HHJP, 6/21/11
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...139910&page=94

AZ, thanks Have we not been able to scape up the bucks to get the depo? Dang.

Thanks for all your replies. Once you catch up today what are your views on them being able to seat a jury? Today did not seem to go to well. If they have to call in another pool of jurors won't they then be tainted with pretrial publicity?
    Last edited by beach; 05-12-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darnudes View Post
    AZ, thanks Have we not been able to scape up the bucks <modsnip> to get the depo? Dang.

Thanks for all your replies. Once you catch up today what are your views on them being able to seat a jury? Today did not seem to go to well. If they have to call in another pool of jurors won't they then be tainted with pretrial publicity?
    There was some discussion of making a list of the top few depos we all wanted to see and taking up a special collection, but it hasn't happened yet.

I thought today went fine. I estimated 75% of potential jurors would be excluded for hardship due to the length of the trial and the sequestering, and then 50% of the remainder excluded for cause due to opinions about the case or not being death-qualified.

Today only 2/3 were excluded for hardship, so I thought it was a good first day!
    Last edited by Kimster; 05-12-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: quote

"It would seem to me that June 16, 2008 was the last time that the victim was viewed by her grandparents. It became quite evident that from the OS of the Defense that the 16th was a date of great importance and that a so called time line of activities dealing with CA, LA, GA and ICA on the 16th and what, if any, activities took place on the 15th, 16th and 17th of June on 24 hour cycles would have been, at least, of a minimal requirement of review. I take it at some point you had a computer expert look at that data?" HHJP, 6/21/11
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...139910&page=94

Quote Originally Posted by AZlawyer View Post
    She has an attorney in the civil case because it is pretty much impossible to defend yourself in a civil case from jail. IIRC the Anthonys paid the attorney.
    Ahh thanks. I wonderedf about that. Although I am sceptical why she is defending it. She has no money anyway.

Out of interest. If she was Pro Se, would she be able to attend in person (more attention?)

It's been filed with the clerk, so we can see it anytime we can get the money together and send someone down to fetch it.
    Out of curiosity, what are the fees for copies?

AZ or any of our attorney's...

How does a juror become death penalty qualified??? JMHO

Justice for Caylee

Bill Shaeffer claims that KC can claim ineffective counsel for her attys not getting the information on the air tests. What would this mean? How would it effect her sentence? Thanks in advance.

Hmmm let me see if I can word this right. Not even sure if this has been asked and answered, but here goes. If , while in Clearwater, say they find only 10 or 12 to sit on jury. Can they keep those and choose the remaining 8 or 10 from another place, or does the entire jury seated have to be from the same location? Thank you so much in advance.
    JMO --I'm entitled to it

Thanks to AZ again

Does the introduction of evidence that ICA failed to report the disappearance of her child for 31 days, violate ICA's Fifth Amendment Right's not to self incriminate?

Has the defense not raised this?

Wouldn't a jury of KC's peers be Moms, young, unwed, a high school dropout, accused of killing their child?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLaughLuv View Post
    AZ or any of our attorney's...

How does a juror become death penalty qualified??? JMHO

Justice for Caylee
    Juror must not be categorically opposed to the imposition of the death penalty and not of the belief that the DP must be imposed in all instances of capital murder.

Page 1 of 86 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast