The worlds loudest cat!

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/05/smokey-the-cat-worlds-loudest-video_n_857933.html

Smokey The Cat Is World's Loudest, Guinness Records Confirms

s-SMOKEY-THE-CAT-WORLDS-LOUDEST-large300.jpg

LONDON (AP) -- It's official: Smokey the cat has roared her way into Guinness World Records having achieved the loudest purr by a domestic cat....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYed8K_umUE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHT1nAX46dM&feature=related[/ame]

I love this story...the squirrel is adorable...hope all stays well for the "family."

Around my house we firmly believe our kitten Finnigan O'Reilly purrs louder. But we've discussed throwing our hat in the ring for World's Loudest Guiness record but decided Finnigan's schedule just wouldn't permit it, between all the playing with the dog, napping and snacking there just isn't time for tv appearances. As soon as I get my video recorder to work, I'll post a video...so atleast the folks here at WS will know who the REAL loudest is!:rocker:

Around my house we firmly believe our kitten Finnigan O'Reilly purrs louder. But we've discussed throwing our hat in the ring for World's Loudest Guiness record but decided Finnigan's schedule just wouldn't permit it, between all the playing with the dog, napping and snacking there just isn't time for tv appearances. As soon as I get my video recorder to work, I'll post a video...so atleast the folks here at WS will know who the REAL loudest is!:rocker:

See if you can find a decibel meter to measure her purr. If she's a kitten imagine what she'll do as an adult. :eek:

I looooove the squirrel story!! That is so adorable!!!! And I usually hate squirrels. :) A purring squirrel is something else!

That is so cute! My little one doesn't have much of a voice box. She got out of the bedroom screen once and "barked" for a long time before I could hear her. Poor thang - now I know not to leave the bedroom window open because she can push the screen open.

It's not even a meow, more like a mah, mah, mah - in a really low town.

In any case, I'm glad I don't have that loud cat! Yikes :)

MOO

Mel

This is a fun thread.

I've got loud cats, quiet cats, and cats inbetween. Simon loves to stand in another room and holler for me...

Cats...vocal, purring, drooling snugglers extraordinaire!

Best-
Herding Cats

This is a fun thread.

I've got loud cats, quiet cats, and cats inbetween. Simon loves to stand in another room and holler for me...

Cats...vocal, purring, drooling snugglers extraordinaire!

Best-
Herding Cats

So when you go to Simon what does he want? Other than for you to get rid of the dog.

Have you had a chance to record his earth shaking purr yet? :waitasec:

Our cat may not purrr very loud, but she did wake us up one night playing the piano. I got up and crept into the dining room to see and there she was sitting on the back of a chair, stretched out to the max and repeatedly pawing the same key over and over. the next night we set the video camera up on a tripod and waited but she wouldn't co-operate. I could have been rich. ....... STUPID CAT!

:waiting:

http://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories/why-do-cats-purr

Why do cats purr?
Cats purr for a variety of reasons. These comforting sounds are good for them and for us. Find out why.
By
Laura Moss
Wed, Aug 29 2012 at 10:54 AM

Although it’s easy to assume that cats purr because they’re content, research shows that purring is likely a means of communication and a form of self-healing.

Yes, your feline friend purrs when you stroke her fur, but cats also purr when they’re frightened or feel threatened, such as during a visit to the veterinarian.

Veterinarian Kelly Morgan equates this reaction with smiling. “People will smile when they’re nervous, when they want something, and when they’re happy, so perhaps the purr can also be an appeasing gesture,” Morgan told WebMD.

A cat’s purr begins in its brain. A repetitive neural oscillator sends messages to the laryngeal muscles, causing them to twitch at a rate of 25 to 150 vibrations per second. This causes the vocal cords to separate when the cat inhales and exhales, producing a purr....

:cat:

Still waiting for the video Linda. :waiting:

video no longer exits unfortunately - I love animal videos

last night (well, this morning but I was awake all night), my husband woke up to find me watching a video of a little black kitten meowing

it`s my drug ... it`s a feel-good addiction like any other :p

Re Steely's video about the cat nursing the baby squirrel - I've raised 30+ squirrels & they all make that "rattle" sound as babies & adults. He wasn't really purring like a cat.

I wonder where Rocky is now? I think it's sad for a squirrel to live in a pen. As much as babies require handling to feed & potty, when older their natural instincts take over & all of mine have been successfully released into the wild. After they are weaned, we move them to a large pen outdoors. They are fed cracked pecans, mushrooms, grapes, acorns & other foods they will learn to find in the forest. After they are able to crack pecans by themselves, we avoid the cage except to replenish food & water a couple times each week. Every one we had has absolutely become a wild animal before being released.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back