1284 users online (226 members and 1058 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    I was going from memory about the Sebring, so I suppose I am a dunce

Funny, I don't see "Sumpter" but I do see "Syria".

Thanks for sharing the pic - I will be looking for that pic of the shirt again that I saw online.

word in pic

Quote Originally Posted by PonderingThings
    I was going from memory about the Sebring, so I suppose I am a dunce http://www.websleuths.com/forums/ima...ies/crazy1.gif

Funny, I don't see "Sumpter" but I do see "Syria".

Thanks for sharing the pic - I will be looking for that pic of the shirt again that I saw online.
    I was guessing about it maybe saying Sumpter. I was looking at a very large blowup of the pic and the blurriness made it hard to read but I knew they were in sumpter so I guessed maybe someone wrote on the shirt instead of using a piece of card board or paper. I thought that would be odd for them to do but it was just a wild guess anyway. In any case it sure didn't look like that Coors sentence they have in the description.

hmm

Another question is why was that description given out wrong?

You mean the 75 instead of the 76? They've had lots of time to correct that information and they never have. Perhaps its not wrong, perhaps its what it said.

wording

You mean the 75 instead of the 76? They've had lots of time to correct that information and they never have. Perhaps its not wrong, perhaps its what it said.
    No, I meant the shirt in the pic having that totally different wording on its front than the description of the shirt said. To me that is a rather large difference. The difference over 75 versus 76 is not a major differernce but the front of that shirt in the pic is obviously completely different than saying ''Coor's America's light beer'' as the text describes on more than one website.

I searched again for the pic of the shirt and can't find it. I *think* it was on the police site, and its since been updated.

From what I recall the graphic was very strong, but at the same time entwined. I know that effect is not portrayed from the pic on the Crime Library site, but that's what I recall. The shirt was red with white lettering, with black highliting.

In the Crime Library pic the shirt is bunched. It is very possible (and I think very likely) that there is no word there - instead its the bunching in combination with the graphic on the shirt that makes it look like a word.

That's just my opinion Doc, I respect that yours may differ.

The 75 versus the 76 was commented on at another site I remember, although I found no current reference for it either. It was an oddity as the Sebring races had been recently held and 76 T Shirts were plentiful and readily available. Remember this was the year of lots of tourists - vendors were ready to Sell! Sell! Sell!

It raised the questions of:

If the man was a tourist and brought the shirt with him from the previous year, was that the only race he was planning to attend? Or were they race fans who wanted to travel from racetrack to racetrack?

Did the man buy an out of date T Shirt from a vendor and did not notice the year when he bought it?

Was the T Shirt from a clothing donation site? - As in, did any charity worker meet the couple?

There were a few other points, but as I recall the police checked them all out.

Disclaimer: I'm going on memory so I will not swear to the 100% accuracy of the above.... if I did I'd be . Instead consider it a summary only.

thanks

. . .In the Crime Library pic the shirt is bunched. It is very possible (and I think very likely) that there is no word there - instead its the bunching in combination with the graphic on the shirt that makes it look like a word.

That's just my opinion Doc, I respect that yours may differ.
    I agree that the shirt bunching is a good possibility. I posted about the way it looked so that the rest of you might also look over the pic and give opinions on it. I could not really tell for sure but I knew that it did not look, to my eyes, as described so before I jump to conclusions I wanted to have others also looking at the shirt pic. Thanks for your input. (I don't have a favorite opinion on it yet.)

Y'all got me hooked. I've been looking at that shirt, but I'm really having a hard time with it. I have a question, though. They were both shot in the back, chest, and throat. OK, which came first, the shooting in the front (chest and throat), or the shooting in the back? In the crime scene photo, both are laying on their backs...were they found in that position, or turned over? If they were found in that position, it would probably mean that the last two shots were fired to their chests/throats. Of course, that's only if they were killed there. Too many questions and not enough information.
    You put the light in me...

Shirt

Could there have been writing both on the front and back of the shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by docwho3
    I was guessing about it maybe saying Sumpter. I was looking at a very large blowup of the pic and the blurriness made it hard to read but I knew they were in sumpter so I guessed maybe someone wrote on the shirt instead of using a piece of card board or paper. I thought that would be odd for them to do but it was just a wild guess anyway. In any case it sure didn't look like that Coors sentence they have in the description.

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1875dfvic.html

Julie Ann Garciacelay
    Missing since July 1, 1975 from North Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: about 1956
    * Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
    * Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 166cm tall.
    * Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Long brown hair, olive complexion, medium build and an American accent.

This American girl went missing a year earlier in Australia. Originally from California she moved to Australia to work. Her blood was found but she never was. She did go missing under suspicious circumstances.

All the stats fit, and her photo looks like the Jane Doe.

A very huge long shot though...

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    About the unshaven legs - this couple was found in the mid-70's and it wasn't uncommon then for American women to go unshaven (both legs & underarms). I remember several of my female teachers having unshaven legs & arm pits during the 70's, and my aunts who were in their late teens/early 20's during that decade also didn't shave. I think it sounds likely that this couple was not American but wanted to put this information out there.

This female matches a lot of charactoristics of Jan Cotta missing from New Jersey June 23rd 1973. Her case is listed on the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children website.

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?

Update

There is a new article out about these two. Sumter County Coroner Verna Moore wants to look deeper into the case, including digging up one of the bodies to get teeth.

Cold Case Mystery: Unidentified Sumter Co. murder victims

Update

Thanks for posting the update on this case. This is one I try to look up every couple months or so to see if there is anything new. It's going to be 30 years in August since these 2 unidentified people were found. I tried to do some extensive searching about 2 years ago in missing person databases in Canada. Apparently the man told someone at a campground his name was Jacques (?) and that he was the son of a famous doctor in Canada. I narrowed the search to the Quebec area since it is predominantly French-speaking. Of course, I came up with nothing. The Crime Library, that is connected with Court TV, did a story on them a couple years ago and they feature it on their home page every once in a while in case it will jog someone's memory. I think about these 2 people so often. I wish it would get solved soon, at least to even learn their identities.

Thanks again for posting this. Maybe this will get some much-needed renewed coverage with the 30th anniversary approaching!

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast