911 users online (124 members and 787 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 423
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    the North Coast (Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhi93 View Post
    This one is a little younger than the age listed, but other things fit...
    Link
    When the body was found in 2000, it was missing the right foot. And Indira had a tattoo on her right ankle. Hmm.....

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Forest Dweller.
    Posts
    10,720
    Quote Originally Posted by TechWriter797 View Post
    When the body was found in 2000, it was missing the right foot. And Indira had a tattoo on her right ankle. Hmm.....
    That's interesting.

    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2000...end-accounting


    Palacio was locked up immediately on the order of protection and a child abandonment charge for leaving Sky at her baby-sitter's April 7.




    Wonder what became of the little girl?
    People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent. ~ Bob Dylan

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by TechWriter797 View Post
    When the body was found in 2000, it was missing the right foot. And Indira had a tattoo on her right ankle. Hmm.....
    She also had a tattoo on her back which I haven't seen mentioned on the body they found.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    149
    I wondered about this as well... How much skin would someone have after being out in the elements for about 7 months? (If this is Indira, she went missing in April and the body was found in November of 2000) If there was still skin, maybe it (the tattoo) wasn't recognizable...

    Quote Originally Posted by dcgrumpy View Post
    She also had a tattoo on her back which I haven't seen mentioned on the body they found.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    portland, Ore
    Posts
    18,228
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhi93 View Post
    I wondered about this as well... How much skin would someone have after being out in the elements for about 7 months? (If this is Indira, she went missing in April and the body was found in November of 2000) If there was still skin, maybe it (the tattoo) wasn't recognizable...

    Hi guys, Here is another article about the search for her:

    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2000...n-credit-cards

    Remember that LE always leaves something out of the public eye, either that or lies about something. It could be they left out the info about the tattoo.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by scandi View Post
    Hi guys, Here is another article about the search for her:

    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2000...n-credit-cards

    Remember that LE always leaves something out of the public eye, either that or lies about something. It could be they left out the info about the tattoo.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying they left out the fact the body found had a tattoo? Or are you talking about Indira's tattoo?

    Indira had a tattoo on her ankle and back. I haven't seen any mention of tattoos on the body found. I can't understand why they would not mention a tattoo on an unidentified body.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    portland, Ore
    Posts
    18,228
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgrumpy View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying they left out the fact the body found had a tattoo? Or are you talking about Indira's tattoo?

    Indira had a tattoo on her ankle and back. I haven't seen any mention of tattoos on the body found. I can't understand why they would not mention a tattoo on an unidentified body.
    I just meant maybe LE left this tattoo info out of the info given to the public - on purpose.

    In reading her page above I didn't see any mention of any tattoo's. If some attempt was made to eradicate those tattoo's it is something only the killer would know about. It would weed out those guys to say they killed her when they didn't. IMO Don't know other that that little stab at a possibility.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by scandi View Post
    I just meant maybe LE left this tattoo info out of the info given to the public - on purpose.

    In reading her page above I didn't see any mention of any tattoo's. If some attempt was made to eradicate those tattoo's it is something only the killer would know about. It would weed out those guys to say they killed her when they didn't. IMO Don't know other that that little stab at a possibility.
    Yeah I could see that if they knew who she was. But if an unidentified body has a tattoo one of the first things they usually do is release information about tattoos, scars, birthmarks etc...That's what they did with the JT and that body found at Hempstead Lake. If the body did have a tattoo on the back I would think it would be easy to match it to Indira.

    This is where I read about the two tattoos http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ro_indira.html

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    portland, Ore
    Posts
    18,228
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgrumpy View Post
    Yeah I could see that if they knew who she was. But if an unidentified body has a tattoo one of the first things they usually do is release information about tattoos, scars, birthmarks etc...That's what they did with the JT and that body found at Hempstead Lake. If the body did have a tattoo on the back I would think it would be easy to match it to Indira.

    This is where I read about the two tattoos http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ro_indira.html
    Thanks Dcgrumpy, What you say makes allot of sense so you're probably right. In the articles about her did they mention the tattoo's? I just woke up so am a bit rummy, needing a big cuppa. LOL

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by scandi View Post
    Thanks Dcgrumpy, What you say makes allot of sense so you're probably right. In the articles about her did they mention the tattoo's? I just woke up so am a bit rummy, needing a big cuppa. LOL
    I'm not sure


  11. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North East United States
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by future criminologist View Post
    I think you misunderstood me. Yes, the body found would be tested for DNA. That doesn't mean, however, that they have DNA from missing persons' to match it to, especially if it's a prostitute or someone who has not been seen by their family in person for a long time, or a transient. The family or contact person has to provide LE with a toothbrush, hairbrush, dental records, etc. to be tested. (There's a "guide" to missing persons written by an LE officer somewhere on this site that everyone should read, that was recently posted - describing the many very easy ways in which cases fall thru the cracks - LE doesn't keep in touch with families, LE depts misplace dental records and evidence, information is not entered accurately by the dispatcher doing the database entry, etc). And if the person is known to be a drifter to the families or to leave and come back, it may take months or even years for family members to report the person missing. Remember that the reason that they were able to match the other UID found there to Jessica Taylor was because she had been arrested in DC and was on LE's radar, so when the notice of a UID was sent to other law enforcement agencies from NY, the LE officer who dealt with her in DC recognized the tattoo on the UID - not because New York LE matched her thru DNA to one of their missing persons cases. That's why NAMUS came about - so ideally, as we've all said there should be at some point, so there's a national database of information and UIDs in one state can be matched to MPs in another state, etc. This system is still imperfect though - in that police depts are not mandated by law to enter their case info into this system and, if they do not have the economic resources, probably don't have a staff person assigned specifically to entering case info into NAMUS. That's why you might see a missing person profile on a state clearinghouse site, for example, but not in NAMUS; in NAMUS, but not on Charley Project or Doe Network, etc. I just found a case listed in VICAP the other day that I'd never seen before on any of the standard sites. The cases listed on the Massachusetts State Police Dept's website, for example, are only a fraction of the Massachusetts cases on Charley Project.

    thank you for posting this, futurecriminologist we had recently watched a case on id channel where a young girl went missing from alaska and her mother had a very hard time getting le to work with her regarding the missing persons report.
    the case is of samantha weir. the mother solved the case by only herself as the police and everyone else had entered the info wrong into the missing database.

    here's a link:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/media/news132.html

  12. #27
    where can I find a list of any UID from this case? My sister, Judy, has been missing since late 1980, had been working as a prostitute in the City. I don't know if the investigator in our case has ever cross-referenced the LI case ??

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Strong Island
    Posts
    467
    Maureen,

    This link may answer your questions.

    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135628
    Last edited by bessie; 05-31-2015 at 06:02 PM. Reason: repaired link

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by JudysSisterMaureen View Post
    where can I find a list of any UID from this case? My sister, Judy, has been missing since late 1980, had been working as a prostitute in the City. I don't know if the investigator in our case has ever cross-referenced the LI case ??
    Maureen, I am so sorry to hear this about your sister. I myself have a wayward sister who is tough to keep track of and regularly scares us with her lack of contact and eviction notices, so I fear this outcome every day. You might also consider www.doenetwork.org, but I have to warn you that there are sketches and reconstructions of the UID'd victims of the site that might be a little disturbing - as might be the descriptions of how the victims were found. But it is nonetheless a very useful tool.
    Some people do crossword puzzles or Soduko in their spare time...I look at skeletal reconstructions and work on UID puzzles. I swear I'm not this morbid in person!

    Help Fred Murray find his daughter and bring her home. He should not be walking those woods alone!
    What Happened to Maura Murray? http://www.mauramurraymissing.com

  15. #30

    Jane Doe 2000 (Manorville & Cedar Beach)

    I started this thread to discuss "Jane Doe 2000". Very little is known, but what we DO know is that she was the earliest victim on the east end of Ocean Parkway.

    As I started researching her, I found out that she didn't appear to be dumped on the side of the road in Manorville, as was Jessica Taylor. Rather, she was found in the "thicket." So I started thinking about the common denominator between "the Manorville thicket" and the area of Cedar Beach where she was found, and I came up with waterfowl and bird (pheasant) hunting.

    There may be other common denominators, like nature hiking or bird watching, but if Dormer is right and there is a single killer responsible for both Manorville and the GB4, then waterfowl and bird (pheasant) hunting seems to be a clear connection between these crimes.

    Check this out:

    http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/newsday/...an%27s+Remains

    LI Hunters Discover Woman's Remains

    Newsday - Long Island, N.Y.
    Author: Zachary R. Dowdy. STAFF WRITER
    Date: Nov 20, 2000


    A trio of hunters searching for game in a Manorville thicket yesterday instead discovered several bags that Suffolk County police believe contained the body parts of a woman who had been the victim of a homicide.

    The hunters' dogs found the unidentified woman's partially decomposed body at about 10:30 a.m. as they searched for pheasant in the wooded area, said homicide squad commander Det. Lt. John Gierasch.

    "It's presumed that (cutting off the hands and head) is done in an effort to thwart identification of the victim," Gierasch said, adding that he was withholding the names of the hunters who made the find.




    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_Hunting
    Blinds
    A hunting blind is a structure intended to conceal hunters, dogs, and equipment from the intended prey. Waterfowl have excellent eyesight and will not land in an area where they spot anything unusual or threatening. Blinds can be temporary or permanent.

    A blind may be constructed out of plywood, lumber, large logs or branches, burlap fiber, plastic or cotton camouflage, or natural vegetation.



    Here's an example of burlap lay-down blinds, which can be built on boats:




    Boats
    Boats are used to set up decoys, pick up birds, and travel to hunting areas. They can also be covered and used as a blind. Some hunters use grass and others use burlap or other material to camoflauge their boats.

    http://www.foremosthunting.com/Duck/...7/Default.aspx
    The Best Ways to Carry Duck Decoys
    Now here's a real good money saving tip from guide Phil Schweik, for those of us who prefer to save EVERY dime we can! Phil's super-talented wife, Rhonda (one of the greatest hunters and anglers we've ever known) simply takes a burlap bag, affixes some straps, and sews it to proper dimensions and accessibility. Phil says they work beautifully, and are both strong and light. Cost? A trip to a local grocer or farmers market for some FREE potato burlap bags, and a few shekels for strapping materials. Happy hunting and decoy "schlepping."

    Once shot, birds are collected and carried in burlap sacks:
    www.mensadventuretravel.com/?p=1844
    It is a wonderful hunt– a perfect hunt and we slip the birds into a burlap bag....



    http://www.longislandtraditions.org/...ing/index.html
    Popular hunting spots include the marshlands near Freeport and Jones Beach, as well as Captree Island in the Town of Islip. The hunting season begins in late November and concludes in March.

    Note that Captree Island is just north of where Jane Doe 2000's remains were discovered. I

    http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/1...ng_ny_0106_01/
    Two sections of Fire Island National Seashore near Smith’s Point and near Fire Island Inlet are open to waterfowl hunting.....

    Boats may be launched at Captree State Park for access to the waters off Fire Island...

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-01-2016, 10:39 PM
  2. Jane Doe 9098 -- "Fire Island Jane Doe"
    By Dwntwnslim in forum LISK Unidentified Victims
    Replies: 179
    Last Post: 06-23-2015, 04:10 AM

Tags for this Thread