UNSOLVED MT - Bitterroot National Forest, Male, boot sole, jeans label, water bottle, YOD:'04 - '09, Jul'10

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
These remains were found back in July, but they still remain unidentified.

Mushroom hunters found a partial skull, part of a femur and several smaller pieces of bone on July 5 on the rugged, steep hillside of the Bitterroot National Forest. A team of sheriff's deputies recovered the remains, as well as some bits of clothing and a water bottle from the scene.

A boot sole and a label from the pair of jeans indicated the remains were those of a male victim.

The bones were sent to a Texas laboratory, which was able to extract a low-grade DNA sample, which sheriff's detective Scott Burlingham hopes will eventually lead to the identification of the victim.

"I am really happy that we have the DNA," Burlingham said. "Without it, we would be pretty much on a dead-end road."

The DNA sample did not match any of the missing people listed on a national missing person's registry.

Burlingham believes the victim probably died between 2004 and 2009.

Read More:
http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/article_cdb808e9-3b85-5b24-ab03-df2abdcafb33.html

I saw an article on this case several months ago, and called the Sheriff's Dept to try to get additional basic info on the UID. Unfortunately, the detective was unwilling to say anything. I told him that I volunteer with an online forum that is frequented by family members of missing persons, and maybe a family member of this UID may come across the info in the forum. He dryly responded that I should tell them to put their DNA in CODIS.

Didn't think this one was in NamUs but had to check. It's not. Only one UID for MT found in 07.

Carl, any chance you can get ahold of the ME in this case and get someone from the ME's office to enter this doe into NamUs? It doesn't sound like the detective would be interested in utilizing NamUs but maybe the ME will.

This UID still isn't in NamUs, though there's "dental restorations" in NamUs from a different county that were found later that month... I wonder if there's any news and we just haven't heard it?

Still not sure on the questions raised by @rats several years ago. Unless this UID is the "dental restorations" mentioned then he is not in Namus.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back