Good Corporate Citizenship - What's your workplace policy?

BigFatMommyDog

Reaction score
I posted first in the sidebar thread:

... HHJPs talk of "good corporate citizens" has me wondering:

What is your work place's policy? I know back in the day we were compensated (though I do not know for what time period, I'm sure there was a limit - two weeks rings a bell), but we turned in our daily stipend to corporate.

I posted first in the sidebar thread:

... HHJPs talk of "good corporate citizens" has me wondering:

What is your work place's policy? I know back in the day we were compensated (though I do not know for what time period, I'm sure there was a limit - two weeks rings a bell), but we turned in our daily stipend to corporate.

My firm pays up to 5 weeks anything longer than that needs the managing partners authorization. But so far all requests for longer have been granted. Since my firm also relies on the jury duty process and obligation we have a policy of encouraging jury duty within our firm. Also it shows sitting judges that our firm values the jury duty process. If we were a smaller firm we may not be able to swing that long of a period of being paid for jury duty. Also we're required to opt out of being paid the daily amount paid by the court for our service.

I checked the other day....they pay full pay minus the Jury Pay! Doesn't say a time limit!

I'm a full-time student and the college policy is if a student is called for jury duty the professors have to work around that for the student.

Mine only will pay for jury duty for one day.

my comany - Pharmaceutical Industry - pays for Jury Duty for however long needed.

This case got me curious about our policy. Apparently I was completely wrong on our policy.

They pay for the duration of any jury duty or witness testimony. We are allowed to keep all compensation and travel allowances except compensation and travel awarded as part of our official duties. I assume that because it's part of our official duties so we are only granted our salary.

They do not pay if you are the principle in a private litigation.

I work for GA Tech - they pay full pay minus the Jury Pay - for as long as it takes, but they are the only place I have worked that gave paid Jury leave.

I work for a large State affiliated university in Virginia, and we get paid leave, to which I say "wahoo"! ;)

Companioes should pay the employees while they are out serving IMO.

Most small businesses would not be able to afford to pay their employees for extended jury duty. I don't think they should pay if it means their business will go under. I work for a small company and I have never checked but I would guess that they would pay no more than a couple of days, if that.

10 days, but won't pay for the sixth and seventh days (no Saturday or Sunday). I also recently found out that my company has NO bereavement policy AT ALL. You have to use PTO. Time to find a new job?

I have to check my policy, I know there is one, I just can't remember what it is. But I have a question along these lines maybe? Is one allowed to collect Unemployment benefits while being on a jury? I guess that would differ state to state, most likely.

As a former H.R. Exec., we paid our employees the difference between what they earned for jury duty and their daily earnings. So if I earned $500 a day, I would be paid $470 (if I lived in Pinellas County). Not bad at all. We did the same thing for people in the military when they had to go into the reserves.

I insisted on it as one of the corporate policy makers. Jury duty is a civic duty, but that doesn't mean you should be financially "broken" or impaired because you do so.

I have to check my policy, I know there is one, I just can't remember what it is. But I have a question along these lines maybe? Is one allowed to collect Unemployment benefits while being on a jury? I guess that would differ state to state, most likely.

Someone on the jury analysis thread said that in Florida you can serve on a jury and not lose unemployment comp.

I work for a Fortune 500 company, so I'm sure they compensate for the duration. Any Fortune 500 company that didn't would suffer from the PR, I imagine. I think if we accept the jury pay, though, we lose our salary, which is why the people I know who have served have taken the option to donate it.

Where I used to work, a big telecommunications company, they paid 100% of jury duty. They just brought in a temp. They were very big on having their employees provide their civic duty. I was called 2-3 times in 11 years and went each time.

MOO

Mel

My employment only pays up to 3 days.

10 days, but won't pay for the sixth and seventh days (no Saturday or Sunday). I also recently found out that my company has NO bereavement policy AT ALL. You have to use PTO. Time to find a new job?

Oh, I'm so sorry. My company gave me 3 months off paid after mum died. You really have to get in with a fortune 500 company to get any of the great benefits.

MOO

Mel

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member