Woman's Life Saved By Clever Doctors At The University Of Rochester With Superglue!!!

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...dly-heart-tumour-saved-doctors-SUPERGLUE.html

Nurse with deadly golf ball-sized heart tumour saved after doctors fill it in with SUPERGLUE

By Lucy Laing

Last updated at 11:58 AM on 18th April 2011

article-1377764-0BAA1CCC00000578-290_233x351.jpg

Jamie Arliss: Doctors thought there was nothing that could be done to save her life

article-1377764-0BAA1CC000000578-158_468x303.jpg

Jamie Arliss (right) with her daughter Leighton and husband Scott. She was saved after doctors filled her heart with superglue

...Dr Cove said: ‘The only recorded cases of such heart tumours in patients are in patients who have already died.

‘It is a difficult tumour to diagnose and very rare, and there are no recorded cases of anyone alive in the world with this type of tumour.

‘She went into the operating theatre, but the surgeons who carried out the operation couldn’t remove the tumour and said there was nothing that could be done to save her.

‘She could have been listed for a heart transplant, but a donor wouldn’t have come available in time. It was a dire situation for her as we didn’t know what we could do for her.’

Then in a stroke of luck, a neurosurgeon came to work in Dr Cove’s office, as his own office was having work done to it. And Mr Cove observed some work he was doing using a medical form of superglue to mend blood vessels in the brain.

He said: ‘I saw the superglue and wondered if it would be possible to put it into the tumour and stop it growing.

‘I spoke with the neurosurgeon who was hesitant as it had never been done before, but we decided that it would be worth a try.’...

article-1377764-0BAA1CB800000578-36_468x435.jpg

A scan of the tumour (marked with an arrow) before it was filled with the medical supergule

article-1377764-0BAA1CDC00000578-636_468x467.jpg

The superglue clearly shows up in the scan as black and has now stopped the rare tumour from growing in Jamie's heart

This sounds like a new ad for superglue, mends everything from pottery to brain vessels, and even stopped this brain tumor from growing.

How great is this, it's amazing!

I know of an elderly man in my neighborhood (90) that broke his back and they superglued it-- he was working in the garden within the month.

A wonderful story! Congratulations to the doctor for his astounding light bulb moment that saved the courageous young patient's life. I hope she will have many happy years with her family. God bless them all.

I know all about superglue. That stuff is amazing! We have it at the barn, for bad cuts (people and horses), my vet uses it on suture lines in spay/neuters, my local ER used it on me when I sliced my hand open between the pinky and ring fingers deep enough to make me go in...I took a look, said "Yeah, that needs stitches"...got the stitches and the glue, and was riding 2 days later...

I'm talking the medical kind, not the kind that's OTC...although it's really only marketing and packaging, sterility and cost which is the difference. If it's a matter of bleeding to death or staying sterile, I'll use the regular kind and then go to the Drs. LOL.

But to hear it's been used on a tumor in a heart...and that the tumor stopped growing...man, that's amazing. Simply amazing.

How super cool...

Best-
Herding Cats

Wonderful story!!!
The minds in the medical field never fail to amaze me.

That sure is a feel good story! Hope this woman is blessed with a long and happy life!

Truly a miracle for this woman. Amazing.

But it also makes me wonder about the implications for other vascular tumors. Would it work? It would certainly reduce a lot of the trauma on the body as instead of removing the tumor they could just shoot it full of superglue!

It would be my luck that super glue would stop the tumor from growing..... And then cause cancer somewhere else in my body. lol

How come when *I* use super glue to try and fix something, it never works except but to stick my fingers together?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postalgirl74
Back