Jury selection for Casey Anthony trial could end up lasting a month

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it'll take a month, but it could very well take another week.

Don't hate me for saying this, but... for purely selfish reasons I hope it takes a couple of weeks. I'll be out of the country for the next 10 days and it is killing me to miss this trial after 3 years of waiting!

I sort of think the DT wants to get back to Orlando enough to limit their stalling tactics. I say this because CM's discomfort took precedence this evening... I think he's very uncomfortable and yearns for his own bed. lol

mo

Don't hate me for saying this, but... for purely selfish reasons I hope it takes a couple of weeks. I'll be out of the country for the next 10 days and it is killing me to miss this trial after 3 years of waiting!

Actually me too,have to go on a family camping trip fromMay 23 to June 5,am waiting to see how jury selection is going,may get an air card for my laptop just before I go.

I don't think it will take a month - but quite possibly another week. We got 8 and hopefully a few more tomorrow - that's one week. By the end of next week they should be able to seat the full 12 with 8 alternates.

HHJP was very very concerned about this continuing longer as the jurors that have already been selected (the 8) are still out and about and not sequestered. He used the word dangerous - and I agree with him.

I don't think it will take a month - but quite possibly another week. We got 8 and hopefully a few more tomorrow - that's one week. By the end of next week they should be able to seat the full 12 with 8 alternates.

HHJP was very very concerned about this continuing longer as the jurors that have already been selected (the 8) are still out and about and not sequestered. He used the word dangerous - and I agree with him.

Yeah but what you need to take in to account is that each side has 10 Peremptory challenges at least (how many do each side have intact still? I don't know). So that is 20 that gone be struck in total without cause (could be more if the court grants more Peremptory Challenges, unlikely I think, but still). Therefore 40 jurors potentially need to pass the stage of "not being struck for cause" before you get a jury of 20 with all jurors being struck.

Also I agree about the jury still being "out there" at least one juror went out to facebook. Also, all the friends of the jurors will be hounding them since it won't take a genius to work out whats going on. I don't know why the current jurors have not been sequestered yet.

But the 8 are not definite yet, can still be stricken, except maybe the one.

Yeah but what you need to take in to account is that each side has 10 Peremptory challenges at least (how many do each side have intact still? I don't know). So that is 20 that gone be struck in total without cause (could be more if the court grants more Peremptory Challenges, unlikely I think, but still). Therefore 40 jurors potentially need to pass the stage of "not being struck for cause" before you get a jury of 20 with all jurors being struck.

Also I agree about the jury still being "out there" at least one juror went out to facebook. Also, all the friends of the jurors will be hounding them since it won't take a genius to work out whats going on. I don't know why the current jurors have not been sequestered yet.
The DT used one strike today so they have 9 left

I don't know if they count the one the State tried to use and wasn't allowed - so they could still have 9 (or all 10).

Also, I don't think they can sequester the ones they have yet as they haven't been sworn in - maybe after they are sworn in they can - but who would want to sit around a hotel for days waiting until they get them all?

The DT used one strike today so they have 9 left

I don't know if they count the one the State tried to use and wasn't allowed - so they could still have 9 (or all 10).

Also, I don't think they can sequester the ones they have yet as they haven't been sworn in - maybe after they are sworn in they can - but who would want to sit around a hotel for days waiting until they get them all?

BBM.

Well you could say who would want to be sitting in a hotel for 8 weeks? Anyways, the judge said he has "activities" planned and is looking to make it comfortable for them.

But the bottom line is that this is about justice and a fair trial by an impartial jury. As JP said, this is a sacrifice and inconvenience for the jurors anyway. To sequester them during selection doesn't seem to be too much more to add for the sake of a fair trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie