KC's "Brain Development"

affinity

Reaction score
I know that many threads exist about opinion pertaining to KC's mental status, but I don't think that there is a thread about what Ann Finnell has referred to during voir dire as "brain development". Clearly, Finnell is referring to some sort of intellectual disability.

From the beginning the thing that has baffled me along with why Caylee is dead is why didn't KC graduate from high school. A normal middle class girl graduates from high school!

It's a long way to mitigation, but in the meantime, do you have opinions on KC's "brain development"?

For example: Might KC have belonged in a remedial class, but the superior Anthony's couldn't/wouldn't accept that she was "slow"?

What do you think? Discuss!

I know that many threads exist about opinion pertaining to KC's mental status, but I don't think that there is a thread about what Ann Finnell has referred to during voir dire as "brain development". Clearly, Finnell is referring to some sort of intellectual disability.

From the beginning the thing that has baffled me along with why Caylee is dead is why didn't KC graduate from high school. A normal middle class girl graduates from high school!

It's a long way to mitigation, but in the meantime, do you have opinions on KC's "brain development"?

For example: Might KC have belonged in a remedial class, but the superior Anthony's couldn't/wouldn't accept that she was "slow"?

AF also says she got "above average" grades. Which really probably is anthying above a middle C average. I think it has to do with areas of the brain involving reasoning or emotions IMO. I have a feeling they are going to use her seizure as well.

I dont be believe any of it I just think the defense is throwing whatever they can out there

Her" brain development" problem certainly never held her back from committing theft and fraud and murder

I think it takes a lot of intellectual prowess to be an effective liar, especially to the degree KC lies. I don't think this will float. As far as her high school graduation, knowing how she operates, she may have done this "to her parents" to shame and embarrass them, completely ignoring the ramifications for herself. jmo

Interesting concept. I'd like to know what kind of math levels she was in (my 14 year old is in Algebra - going to Geometry in HS). Is in the band and plays fluent french horn. Yes, I consider him above average.

That's not to say lower classes make one mentally challenged - heck, I only took basic math throughout high school.

I, too, almost didn't graduate. I had 1 history course that I failed (dang, I hated history), but I took it during the summer and rec'd my diploma. If she had 1 or 3 credits to make up, she certainly could have done that.

I never considered myself slow - lazy, yes - but not slow. I just think ICA didn't want to, or couldn't be bothered to do the effort.

Besides, I lived in San Fernando in High School, and would much rather spend my days at Malibu than school (oh yah, I got in trouble for that too).

Mel

I have to step out here for a bit but I really want to poke around in Danziger and Weitz's threads and review their studies. Something is telling me that AF may be referencing that her brain development was normal intellectually, but physiologically diferent in some way that impacted processing of emotions or recognizing risky behavior? :waitasec:

About the High School thing- I graduated in 1981 but nearly 1/3 of my class, did not. I came from a very middle/upper class neighborhood. Weird, I know but it's true. Something about the times, I suppose. Just wanted to say that- and my high school was a college prep school. Maybe a rebel thing going on. Of my closest friends, 3 of us out of 20ish graduated. The others eventually got their GED's or went back.... but ended up college graduates.

In terms of her brain development, or lack thereof, I think Anne F. is just doing her job. If the death penalty was not on the table, we'd hear nothing about that. She is trying very hard to show that ICA is somehow damaged and that is why she did what she did. She's damaged alright, but Anne needs to answer a question that jurors will have- Is ICA responsible for her actions- no matter how gruesome they were?!.

Anne F. and team know very well there is a huge possibility (more that 50%) that Casey could be sentenced to death and they need to get all possible scenarios on the table now- for appeals. There is NO RECORD in ICA's past that she had problems other than acting out or lies.

I challenge others to read some other cases- See what kind of horrific lives these people grew up in that at least give us some insight as to why someone would grow up to do the things some do. Casey came from dysfunction, but certainly not any thing that reaches the levels to explain what she did. A girl with brain development problems would have school records, juvenile reports, peer incidents,...etc. All indicate she was 'normal' although disrespectful. Anyway- just my opinion.

Anne is trying to explain the crime in the only way she can. Casey must be damaged - but casey has to ADMIT this even happened, first. And that won't happen. It's a fantasy defense.

I don't think of "brain development" as being related to Casey's intelligence. I think it's possible that AF is referring to a possible brain anomaly like Asperger's or Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. jmo

i think casey's brain is just fine.

there are thousands of people out there who have development delays and troubles... but there is never any good excuse for killing your 3 year old.

I won't re-type them all here, but if ya Google aggravating factors in Florida death sentencing, you will see that these mitigators don't come close to outweighing the aggravators.
They are not going with insanity, so these are solely mitigation attempts. How does brain activity or abuse overcome the aggravating factor, the one I see as most important, that this child was killed in the care of her mother? Her mommy that she adored and felt safe with.

Unless they have evidence (some type of scans) of actual organic brain abnormality/damage... I don't believe it for a second.

Also AF said something about her impulse control. Kind of like manic/depressive - Bipolar (is what I took it has?).

Wonder if that is what they are contributing her wld behavior to a manic eppisode? Shopping with Amy's checks etc...

I have to step out here for a bit but I really want to poke around in Danziger and Weitz's threads and review their studies. Something is telling me that AF may be referencing that her brain development was normal intellectually, but physiologically diferent in some way that impacted processing of emotions or recognizing risky behavior? :waitasec:

Oh, are they going to go with the PET Scan murderer brain stuff? Many have been incarcerated and put to death that sport that abnormality. jmo

This is an interesting exploration, imo. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127888976

I have studied narcissism for many years now, as our family was saddled with a DIL who was diagnosed as a Narc.

Her mental capacity as far as functioning as an adult (cleaning, cooking, laundry, taking care of kids ) is on the level of a young teenager.

She got bored easily with regular "mother-like" chores, like the basic things a mother does to take care of her children.

She also would start projects & then get bored with them & let them go to ruin.

She would rather party & drink, dress up with tons of make-up & jewelry & go out, than take care of the home or kids.

She also was physically & mentally abusive to the kids & related to them as a peer. Her discipline of them was shoving, pulling hair & things like another child would do to a playmate.

That is the part of Casey's brain that will not & cannot ever develop. As for maturity, they stop at a very young age & it is the personality disorder that causes it.

There is no cure for narcissism as the narcissist never feels there is anything wrong with them, it's the whole world around them at fault, not them.

They rarely seek help for themselves & that is why the mental health community does not qualify narc. as a mental disorder, not enough study done in that area.

It is usually the victims of the narc. that seek help after they get away from the abuser.

Neurolaw

Quote: Because the science is still developing and because there is substantial opportunity for misuse, the legal realm recognizes the need to proceed cautiously. Neurolaw enthusiasts are quick to find means to apply neuroscience in a variety of different contexts.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurolaw[/ame]

I don't think they're equipped. mo

I have studied narcissism for many years now, as our family was saddled with a DIL who was diagnosed as a Narc.

Her mental capacity as far as functioning as an adult (cleaning, cooking, laundry, taking care of kids ) is on the level of a young teenager.

She got bored easily with regular "mother-like" chores, like the basic things a mother does to take care of her children.

She also would start projects & then get bored with them & let them go to ruin.

She would rather party & drink, dress up with tons of make-up & jewelry & go out, than take care of the home or kids.

She also was physically & mentally abusive to the kids & related to them as a peer. Her discipline of them was shoving, pulling hair & things like another child would do to a playmate.

That is the part of Casey's brain that will not & cannot ever develop. As for maturity, they stop at a very young age & it is the personality disorder that causes it.

There is no cure for narcissism as the narcissist never feels there is anything wrong with them, it's the whole world around them at fault, not them.

They rarely seek help for themselves & that is why the mental health community does not qualify narc. as a mental disorder, not enough study done in that area.

It is usually the victims of the narc. that seek help after they get away from the abuser.

Interesting. Do you still talk/see to your DIL? How does one separate from someone like this? Who protects the kids if this is not a recognized mental health disorder?
I've met two in my life. One was a boss- finally had to quit to regain some control- other was a friend I ended up changing phone numbers and hoping for the best.

You know, I am wondering if this might have something to do with ADD/ADHD. The minute I heard AF mention "impulse control", I though about this.

My daughter has some mild learning disabilities, and was believed at one time to have ADHD. (She doesn't.) The way the school professionals (psychologist, social worker, nurse) go about looking at this is by administering a questionairre to parents and teachers - asking questions such as "Does the child have difficulty standing in line for long periods of time?" or "Is the child's room/desk messy or organized?". I don't know much about ADD/ADHD, but keywords I have heard associated with it is "impulsive", "disorganized", "inattentive", and "hyperactive". I do know that ADD/ADHD can last throughout adulthood - I have seen adult patients who are medicated for this.

As far as I know, there is not a true, black and white objective diagnostic test for this condition - which, I guess, would make it easy for the DT to make a case for this.

Interesting. Do you still talk/see to your DIL? How does one separate from someone like this? Who protects the kids if this is not a recognized mental health disorder?
I've met two in my life. One was a boss- finally had to quit to regain some control- other was a friend I ended up changing phone numbers and hoping for the best.

My son has full custody of the children, but the NARC continues to haunt us. She didn't want the children & gave them up willingly about 2 years ago.

The children refuse to visit with her, so she has now started another court proceeding, trying to get visitation.

The judge ordered a psychological eval on her & so far, the PHD doing the eval, sees what she is & will likely be denied any visitation at all.

We do not see her or talk to her. She is CRAZY and like most narcissists, blames my son for everything & also wants revenge on him.

She's getting it, he is financially ruined with all the legal fees.

This makes her HAPPY even though all his financial problems, affect the children & limit what they can do (activities) and any other need they may have.

We're hoping (finally) that the courts decision will finally STOP her, but who knows.

Narcissists will not be denied what they want & right now she will not accept that the kids absolutely HATE her. She is determined to FORCE them to see her (not going to happen) but in her mind, she is not the problem.

IF the court decides she cannot see them, we plan to move to another state to get away from her. Sad, isn't it, but that is what we have decided is our only course of action, since she is relentless.

She's also an alcohlic, like many narcissists, they have addictive personalities & turn to alcohol & drugs.

They are very dangerous, so be careful if either of these people are still in your life in any way. They are also stalkers, but seems you found that out already.

Seperating from them can be dangerous, so watch your back.

Having been a high school English teacher, I would like to point out that the level of courses that students elect or not has little to do with innate intelligence. I attended a very small parochial high school (late 1960s) with a limited curriculum compared to that of larger public schools that offered many more basic courses and electives. I took Algebra I and Geometry but didn't pursue math beyond sophomore year. This has nothing to do with my level of intelligence or overall academic capabilities: Math simply wasn't my thing. Less than 1/3 of my graduating class went to college, and I was among them. Having taken only two years of math in high school didn't impact my academic success in high school or college.

If Casey didn't finish high school, it was most likely due to laziness, or even boredom, and not because she's intellectually deficient. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back