Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2011.05.16 Sidebar Thread (Juror Selection Day Seven)

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    Quote Originally Posted by logicalgirl View Post
    I can't speak to the legal aspects, but it looked to me like she was just asking them for a rough guesstimate. She didn't say you must be specific like I think a person would have to.
    I also agree and think the defense team was the "stealthy" one here.. trying to figure out how each juror would weigh mitigating factors, aggravating factors, and their own personal feeling on the death penalty after volumes of confusing law was read to them...

I think in several cases they dismissed perfectly good candidates (if even to be alternates) based on their shoddy questioning.

moo
    This bee my opinion

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post
    her scale is just a measuring tool.. appeals? not so much imhoo..

(I might add that I found her question leading up to her scale confusing to many jurors and the record reflects this with their follow up questions, comments, and utternaces of confusion)

moo
    Yes, I agree - I think she asked some very leading questions that directly contradicted HHJ's instructions.

That really confused some of the PJ's.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to logicalgirl For This Useful Post:

A question: Do I understand correctly that tomorrow the state and the defense will use their strikes to eliminate those they don't want - out of the 17 prospective jurors we now have? Then, those left will be sworn, sequestered, and sent by bus to Orlando? And, that the remainder of the day will be devoted to selecting more jurors to make up the alternates?
    My posts are my opinion..........

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:

see you guys in the morning... (i have a few nights off thank god so don't have to go sleep deprived LOL)

I am VERY looking forward to the process tomorrow...
    This bee my opinion

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lera213 View Post
    did anyone notice at the end of today's jury selection LDB was talking to JB? Oh she is so smart, I just knew she was talking to him trying to see if she could gleam anything about who he was going to strike. She is so cool and knows JB so well that I bet she got loads of info from JB. All she had to do was stroke his ego just a tiny bit then talk about the thunderstorm yesterday
    I was wondering if she was innocently asking him who he was planning on striking and telling him who she was going after but not really be exactly truthful if you know what I mean.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to logicalgirl For This Useful Post:

I am confused as to why so many factors are up the judge in a DP case; why isn't there a required # of alternates in a DP case? And a precise way of handling jury selection? I don't like the fact that his making it up as he goes along could come back in appeal issues and don't understand why this process is not all set out in law. This is Florida after all, they are pretty used to DP cases.
    Just my opinion, of course.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sleutherontheside View Post
    Does anyone else wonder about the "on a scale of 1 to 10" question asked by AF???

I have been wondering if that question opens up and doors in an appeal process?

It just seems to me an odd question given that the scale means nothing as sentence follows instructions by the Judge.

I have no doubt HHJP would have nipped any issues in the bud...but it just strikes me as odd.
    I think it is to listen to what they say, how they say it and their body language. To much towards the death penalty then they might get rid of them.
    .............Any man's death diminishes me because I am
    involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
    it tolls for thee. . . .
    from Meditation 17
    by John Donne

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Fessel For This Useful Post:

I think it is law cluciano.. he has been citing it since day one... including the alternate method he is using.. as well as each time he objects to a motion for cause...

I personally am not worried about it.. just moo..
    This bee my opinion

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

see you guys in the morning... (i have a few nights off thank god so don't have to go sleep deprived LOL)

I am VERY looking forward to the process tomorrow...
    Before you go to Bed nursebeeme, I'm concerned about your LACK of exercise these days.

I only remember you mowing the back 40, cleaning your entire house and there was something else, where you planting some flower beds? Aren't you concerned about being so lethargic?

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to logicalgirl For This Useful Post:

This whole Casey/DT "dance" we've been observing has been niggling at my brain. Today I finally figured out what it all reminds me of: A rich bridezilla treating her poor-relation bridesmaids like lowly servants. Well, methinks the bridesmaids are about ready to hike up their poofy skirts and run for the hills. But this is always Casey's MO: Be it her grandparents, her friends, her brother, her parents OR her attorneys, Casey bites the hands that feed her.

20. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to my_tee_mouse For This Useful Post:

I think the process is provided for in the Florida laws. There are basically two methods of selecting juries. He is using one of the methods. I think he is following the rules.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to i.b.nora For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    I am confused as to why so many factors are up the judge in a DP case; why isn't there a required # of alternates in a DP case? And a precise way of handling jury selection? I don't like the fact that his making it up as he goes along could come back in appeal issues and don't understand why this process is not all set out in law. This is Florida after all, they are pretty used to DP cases.
    I searched the Florida rules on this, and there is no set rule about alternates for any jury trial as I read it, judge's discretion. I did see that only capital cases get 12 jurors there, others get 6. A factoid I didn't know.

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to KathrynL For This Useful Post:

I don't understand the victim impact statement. The DT makes a point of talking about it and how it is so emotional, but the jury cannot use it in their decision. Then what is the point of giving it? And who exactly do they think will give the statement? Someone from WS?

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to strawberry For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    I don't understand the victim impact statement. The DT makes a point of talking about it and how it is so emotional, but the jury cannot use it in their decision. Then what is the point of giving it? And who exactly do they think will give the statement? Someone from WS?
    That would be a good question for the ask the lawyers thread.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to i.b.nora For This Useful Post:

No doubt Judge Perry knows Florida law like the back of his hand. He is, after all, the chief judge (for the 7th term) in the Ninth Judicial Circuit which serves Orange and Osceola counties. I have no doubt whatsoever that Judge Perry's decisions will not be appealed, he is just that thorough. I have the utmost respect for the man and am very pleased that he was chosen to preside over this case.

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Adrienne37 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MissJames View Post
    OMG,
    Nancy Grace just said the PJ with a book and cover lined up,was arrested ???
    Are you sure, MissJames? I thought that was a teaser headline to make us think they were recent arrests. If I'm not mistaken, she was referring to 3 jurors with former arrests: 2 DUI's and the kid who was busted for drugs in TN.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oakley For This Useful Post:

Good point Strawberry, usually the victim impact statements is reserved for a surviving family member to finally get to speak of their loss, anger, frustration in order to have some semblance of closure.

Who is there to actually speak for Caylee when we know full well that the grandparents have made it clear by actions and testimony that they are more concerned over ICA then Caylee.

That child has nobody to stand up in court to give that impact statement except for the SA, or Ws'ers

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lera213 For This Useful Post:

I, too, saw the show this evening that showed the courtroom in Orlando and they were going through all the new technology. One thing that stood out to me was that the emphasized the monitors throughout the courtroom and said that spectators and media would be seeing everything that the jury sees on the monitors. So then I wondered if they will show Caylee's remains. On the one hand, I would like Casey to see them so we can see her reaction. On the other hand, I feel Casey saw Caylee at her worst (decomposing) and maybe seeing skeletal remains will elicit nothing.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joanner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joanner View Post
    I, too, saw the show this evening that showed the courtroom in Orlando and they were going through all the new technology. One thing that stood out to me was that the emphasized the monitors throughout the courtroom and said that spectators and media would be seeing everything that the jury sees on the monitors. So then I wondered if they will show Caylee's remains. On the one hand, I would like Casey to see them so we can see her reaction. On the other hand, I feel Casey saw Caylee at her worst (decomposing) and maybe seeing skeletal remains will elicit nothing.
    They probably will show remains. Everyone in the courtroom will see the pictures, usually the case in my experience.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xin For This Useful Post:

I think it is law cluciano.. he has been citing it since day one... including the alternate method he is using.. as well as each time he objects to a motion for cause...

I personally am not worried about it.. just moo..
    But he talked about the # of alternates being 8 in the beginning and now says probably not that many. So what does the law read, I wonder? And if it not a set #, I think it should be, JMO.
    Just my opinion, of course.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

her scale is just a measuring tool.. appeals? not so much imhoo..

(I might add that I found her question leading up to her scale confusing to many jurors and the record reflects this with their follow up questions, comments, and utternaces of confusion)

moo
    I totally agree with you nursebeeme. I found the whole idea of a "scale" around the DP issue to be quite strange and the financial pj (with the back problems) stated it from my point of view exactly.

moo

The "mercy" question totally confused everyone asked as well. They may have well stated, "if we give you a really compelling sob-story about really horrible abuse, would you be willing to consider leniency?". An impossible question to answer without facts imo.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pink Panther For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joanner View Post
    Oh that day will be something...wait for it...ICA attorney's will have to request for a recess for their client is clearly upset. Just wait for the fake tears, the passing out....what we saw the other day was a dress rehearsal to see how the judge will react, and how well ICA does her acting job.

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lera213 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by logicalgirl View Post
    I was wondering if she was innocently asking him who he was planning on striking and telling him who she was going after but not really be exactly truthful if you know what I mean.
    I don't believe that she would ever stoop so low.

moo

46. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pink Panther For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lera213 View Post
    Good point Strawberry, usually the victim impact statements is reserved for a surviving family member to finally get to speak of their loss, anger, frustration in order to have some semblance of closure.

Who is there to actually speak for Caylee when we know full well that the grandparents have made it clear by actions and testimony that they are more concerned over ICA then Caylee.

That child has nobody to stand up in court to give that impact statement except for the SA, or Ws'ers
    I know that if either CA or GA are allowed to speak for this portion I will be enraged...Regardless of their stance during the trial, they have already shown their true colors relative to Caylee over the past three years and they should not be allowed to make statements at this phase. I realize that the law may be in their favor on this count, but I can say that I will not be viewing or listening if they speak.

moo

48. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pink Panther For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    But he talked about the # of alternates being 8 in the beginning and now says probably not that many. So what does the law read, I wonder? And if it not a set #, I think it should be, JMO.
    Here is a link re: alternate jurors in criminal proceedings:

http://www.joffelaw.com/state-rules/3-280.html

Court's discretion all the way, imo

50. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KathrynL For This Useful Post:

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast