Deceased/Not Found NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 #1 *P. Hernandez guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the updates on Etan Patz, Doyle. I appreciate it.

Way to go, judge, let's give some closure to Etan's poor family.

Tonight,6/2/04 at 8 pm EST on 60 Minutes II they are doing on story on the Etan Patz case if anyone is interested.............

02-08-2005, 11:56 AM
messiecake
Support Our Troops! Join Date: Apr 2004

Etan Patz Family Settlement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know we have an Etan thread here but I thought Id start off the new "Discussion" forum!

Judge orders inmate to pay $2 million to family of missing N.Y. boy

NEW YORK (AP) — An imprisoned child molester and former mental patient was ordered to pay $2 million to the family of a 6-year-old boy whose 1979 disappearance helped give rise to the national movement to publicize the cases of missing children.

The judge who ordered Jose R. Ramos to pay the money also ruled in May 2004 that Ramos was responsible for Etan Patz' death after the inmate ignored orders to answer deposition questions for a lawyer for the boy's parents.

Brian O'Dwyer, lawyer for Stanley and Julia Patz, had tried unsuccessfully to interview Ramos at the Pennsylvania prison where he is serving a 20-year sentence for sexually abusing an 8-year-old boy.

O'Dwyer said Ramos, who apparently has no assets, was saying he planned to sell his story.........................................
http://courttv.com/news/2005/0208/missing_ap.html

This REALLY does have a mental problem if he thinks anyone would buy his story or care to read it!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the settlement gives some comfort to the Patz family.I know in the Etan thread I detailed a recent TV appearance by Mr.Patz and I know theres no such thing as closure but I pray this offers something to them.

messiecake
View Public Profile
Send a private message to messiecake
Find all posts by messiecake
Add messiecake to Your Buddy List

#2 02-08-2005, 12:58 PM
2sisters
Registered User Join Date: Aug 2004

I know the money wont help ease the pain on their sons dissappearance but the ruling may keep this dirtbag from selling his story. Im sure his story will tell how he was wrongley accused and he just loves children and is so hurt over all of this and would never hurt a child. Im sure now some criminal rights group will come to his aid so he can make a buck off of his story. Im sorry to be so angry but how dare he think of selling his story for money. As if he was a victim. The only victims are the kids he hurt and killed and their families who will never truly heal.

2sisters
View Public Profile
Send a private message to 2sisters
Find all posts by 2sisters
Add 2sisters to Your Buddy List

#3 02-09-2005, 08:41 AM
emma l
UK GIRL Join Date: Apr 2004

Theres a very famous case over here in the UK with a smilar vein actually. Mary Bell murdered a child when she was 10 (I think) and served her jail time. She was then rehoused and given a new identity and a gag was put on the tabloids to prevent them from revealing what it was..........

A year or so ago some tabloid newspapers took her to court again to fight for the right to reveal her new identity to the public. They claimed that since she had violated her own gagging order by seling her story to an author, then any previous ruling would not stand.

However she was granted anonimity again for an interesting reason. She now has a child of her own, who until the recent fuss, had no idea of her mothers real identity. The courts ruled that this child had a right to privacy, no matter how Mary chose to sell her story...........

I found these articles... http://www.guardian.co.uk/child/sto...,960690,00.html

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorio...ll/index_1.html

Its a very interesting argument. Ask any British adult who Mary Bell is and they will know her name. But the scary thing is she could live right next door to me.

WARNING- the second of these articles is very upsetting and graphic

emma l
View Public Profile
Send a private message to emma l
Send email to emma l
Find all posts by emma l
Add emma l to Your Buddy List

#4 02-09-2005, 08:49 AM
messiecake
Support Our Troops! Join Date: Apr 2004

OOhhh Emma thank you for the links!
I don't know much about Mary Bell but have heard her name brought up when James Bulger is mentioned.

I find U.K law so confusing !

messiecake
View Public Profile
Send a private message to messiecake
Find all posts by messiecake
Add messiecake to Your Buddy List

#5 02-09-2005, 12:05 PM
SewingDeb
Registered User Join Date: Apr 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma l
Theres a very famous case over here in the UK with a smilar vein actually. Mary Bell murdered a child when she was 10 (I think) and served her jail time. She was then rehoused and given a new identity and a gag was put on the tabloids to prevent them from revealing what it was..........

A year or so ago some tabloid newspapers took her to court again to fight for the right to reveal her new identity to the public. They claimed that since she had violated her own gagging order by seling her story to an author, then any previous ruling would not stand.

However she was granted anonimity again for an interesting reason. She now has a child of her own, who until the recent fuss, had no idea of her mothers real identity. The courts ruled that this child had a right to privacy, no matter how Mary chose to sell her story...........

I found these articles... http://www.guardian.co.uk/child/sto...,960690,00.html

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorio...ll/index_1.html

Its a very interesting argument. Ask any British adult who Mary Bell is and they will know her name. But the scary thing is she could live right next door to me.

WARNING- the second of these articles is very upsetting and graphic

That one is a true sociopath. I doubt that she has changed.

SewingDeb
View Public Profile
Send a private message to SewingDeb
Find all posts by SewingDeb
Add SewingDeb to Your Buddy List

#6 02-10-2005, 09:16 PM
wheatongirl
Registered User Join Date: Feb 2005

`The Rabbi who performed my marriage ceremony is/was Etan Patz uncle. Rabbi Patz is actually my sister-in-law's rabbi and she says he never discusses the case. I think the family has been so traumatized that it's as if the disappearance/murder happened yesterday instead of 20 years ago. I don't blame them. I don't think you can ever get over an experience like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiecake
I know we have an Etan thread here but I thought Id start off the new "Discussion" forum!

Judge orders inmate to pay $2 million to family of missing N.Y. boy

NEW YORK (AP) — An imprisoned child molester and former mental patient was ordered to pay $2 million to the family of a 6-year-old boy whose 1979 disappearance helped give rise to the national movement to publicize the cases of missing children.

The judge who ordered Jose R. Ramos to pay the money also ruled in May 2004 that Ramos was responsible for Etan Patz' death after the inmate ignored orders to answer deposition questions for a lawyer for the boy's parents.

Brian O'Dwyer, lawyer for Stanley and Julia Patz, had tried unsuccessfully to interview Ramos at the Pennsylvania prison where he is serving a 20-year sentence for sexually abusing an 8-year-old boy.

O'Dwyer said Ramos, who apparently has no assets, was saying he planned to sell his story.........................................
http://courttv.com/news/2005/0208/missing_ap.html

This REALLY does have a mental problem if he thinks anyone would buy his story or care to read it!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the settlement gives some comfort to the Patz family.I know in the Etan thread I detailed a recent TV appearance by Mr.Patz and I know theres no such thing as closure but I pray this offers something to them.

wheatongirl
View Public Profile
Send a private message to wheatongirl
Find all posts by wheatongirl
Add wheatongirl to Your Buddy List

#7 02-17-2005, 12:52 PM
meggilyweggily
Registered User Join Date: Feb 2005

No, you can't. Having a missing loved one has got to be one of the worst things in the world. If they died, at least you could bury them and mourn them and get on with your life. But if they're missing and you don't know what happened to them, you're forever left hanging.

I don't have any experience with a missing loved one, thank goodness, but the closest I can come to it is when a good friend of mine became very ill and they weren't sure if he was going to make it. I spent a week with a perpetual stomachache, worried sick about him. Then I found out that he was going to die. And, strangely, I felt better, because now at least I knew what to expect. Knowledge, even dreadful knowledge, is better than uncertainty. My friend did die a few days later and I'm glad it at least didn't take me by surprise.

Jose Ramos will probably never be able to pay the money -- he's broke. But the symbolism is important I think.

The Charley Project
http://www.charleyproject.org

Manhattan attorney hopeful Leslie Crocker Snyder declared yesterday that if elected, she would convene agrand jury in the case of Etan Patz, the SoHo boy who disappeared in 1979.
Snyder's announcement came as Etan's father, Stanley Patz, appeared at a City Hall news conference.

Etan was 6 when he vanished while walking to his school bus stop, in a case that shocked the city. He was declared legally dead in 2001.

In May 2004, his family won a New York civil case that found Jose Antonio Ramos, who is in a Pennsylvania prison for an unrelated child sex-abuse conviction, responsible for the boy's death.

Ramos had dated Etan's baby-sitter.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/story/318989p-272787c.html

patz_etan2.jpg
patz_etan_ap.jpg

Missing Since: May 25, 1979 from New York City, New York
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Date Of Birth: October 9, 1972
Height and Weight: 3'4, 50 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Light brown to blond hair, blue eyes. Patz's name is pronounced "Ay-tahn." He may use the alias Etan Ben Haim.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A black "Future Flight Captain" pilot cap pulled low over his eyes, a blue corduroy jacket, blue pants and blue sneakers with fluorescent stripes.

Details of Disappearance

Patz was last seen walking to his school bus stop in New York City, New York on May 25, 1979 at approximately 8:00 a.m.. His family resided in an apartment on Prince Street near West Broadway. The stop was on Prince Street and Wooster Streets. This was the first time Patz's parents allowed him to walk to the bus stop alone. He has never been heard again. Patz was carrying a dollar for a soft drink, and a blue cloth bag imprinted with elephants at the time of his disappearance. His mother watched him out the window until he crossed Wooster Street, 150 yards from the bus stop. He has never been heard from again.

Patz's bus arrived at the stop at 8:10 a.m. as usual and picked up a number of children, but Patz was not among the group. Patz's first-grade teacher at Independence Plaza School realized he was absent but did not report it to the principal, so Patz's parents did not realize he was missing until he failed to come home at 3:15 p.m. that day. They immediately notified the authorities.

On May 27, two days after Patz's disappearance, a witness told police that she had seen a boy matching Patz's description talking to a suspicious-looking man on the corner of Prince and Wooster streets. Under hypnosis, the witness described the man as about 40 years old, skinny, freckled, and with dyed blond hair. She was uncertain, however, whether the boy she saw was actually Patz.

A known pedophile named Jose Antonio Ramos has been the prime suspect in Patz's disappearance for many years. A photograph of him is shown below this case summary. Ramos was a drifter with mental problems who was known for assaulting young boys as he crossed the United States in the 1970's. He tended to prefer boys with light hair, like Patz. Ramos was in New York City at the time of Patz's 1979 disappearance. He also dated a former babysitter employed by the Patz family; he was suspected of stalking the woman before Patz vanished. Police believe Ramos may have seen Patz accompanied by the woman, therein inadvertently leading Ramos to the child.

Ramos claimed he was with a boy matching Patz's description the day the boy disappeared. He described Patz's sneakers with their distinctive fluorescent stripes. Ramos went on to state that he introduced himself to the child by telling him he was a "friend" of the former employee, then took the boy back to his apartment and sexually assaulted him. Then, he told police, he put the boy on a subway bound for Washington Heights so the child could visit his aunt there. Patz has no relatives living in Washington Heights.

In 1983, Ramos moved to Watersmeet, Michigan with an unidentified light-haired boy, aged about thirteen or fourteen. Patz would have been about that age in 1983. Ramos left the area after he came under suspicion for molesting several boys. Police photographed him and the boy while they were in Michigan. Later, when they examined the photographs, they noted the boy's resemblance to an age-progression of Patz and decided to track the boy down. Ramos had told people in Watersmeet that the boy's parents ran an orphanage in Columbus, Ohio. The boy had been arrested there so his fingerprints were on file. Police compared the prints with Patz's. They didn't match. To make sure, authorities approached the teenager and obtained a DNA sample, which conclusively ruled out the possibility that Patz and the boy were the same person.

In 1985 the focus of the investigation briefly shifted to Israel, where a magazine there ran a photograph of Patz that had been taken by his father. The photo was not among those that had been handed out to the press, so police were suspicious as to its origin. However, attempts to locate the source of the photograph were in vain and the investigation centered back on Ramos.

Ramos's former cellmate told authorities that Ramos confessed to murdering Patz and claimed that the boy's body would never be located. Ramos is currently serving a ten to twenty year sentence in Pennsylvania for molesting boys, who, like Patz, were blond. New York investigators elected not to file charges against Ramos in Patz's case in February 2002, citing a lack of evidence.

Patz was declared legally dead by a New York judge in 2001. The action allowed Patz's family to file a civil wrongful death lawsuit against Ramos, although he has never been charged in connection Patz's case. They did file suit, and Ramos initially refused to give a deposition on the matter. In March 2003, a Manhattan Supreme Court judge ordered Ramos to answer questions under oath about what happened to Patz. Ramos gave a statement in October 2003, claiming he was in a park with a ten-year-old boy named Jimmy whom he'd met that morning in Washington Square Park, when two police officers approached him with a picture of Patz around 11:15 to 11:30 a.m. on the day of the Patz's disappearance, and asked if he had seen the child. Ramos claimed that after the police left him, he took Jimmy to an apartment. He invoked his Fifth Amendment rights against self-incrimination when asked whether he sexually assaulted the child.

Authorities give little credence to Ramos's story. Patz was not reported missing until 2:00 p.m. that day, and investigators would not have circulated his picture for some hours afterward. Ramos's story about his whereabouts at the time Patz vanished has changed several times.

Ramos refused to answer many of the questions in the deposition, so the judge presiding over the lawsuit found him liable for the child's wrongful death in May 2004. The judge ordered Ramos to pay $2,000,000 to Patz's parents, but as Ramos is destitute it is unlikely that any money will be collected. He is scheduled to be released from prison in 2014.

Patz's whereabouts remain unknown and his case is still open. Foul play is suspected in his case due to the circumstances involved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
New York City Police Department
646-610-6914

http://nymag.com/news/features/56441/

Published May 3, 2009

Thirty years ago, the 6-year-old boy disappeared from a Soho street. His father is now convinced he knows who killed Etan. But will the Patzes ever get a chance to learn the whole truth?

Five page article about Etan at link. I always hoped that Etan would be found.

kat, that was an excellent article about Etan Patz. Etan's was one of the first cases I ever read about, and to this day it breaks my heart. I cried reading the article. I can't even imagine what Julie and Stan go through on a daily basis.

I think Ramos killed Etan. It's doubly monstrous that he won't admit to it. What does he have to lose? He's already in prison.

A friday.........May 25th 1979
Since hes going to be released in 2012......I don't expect hes going to confess to the murder and the whereabouts..........I hope they do take it to the GJ.....with his past, they may get an conviction, if the GJ indicts.............but between now, and then........finding the remains would be wonderful, to say the least..........the parents seem certain, the child has passed...........and a Friday morning, back then.......this guy, I would love to see the original LE report, when this person became the prime subject........to see if he drove a vehicle/had access to one that day/where he worked, if he did, , if he lived somewhere else.......and the babysitter.......would like to know, what she told about this case when interview, after her boyfriend became a prime suspect in the case?...........on that morning, he took him someone, had to have a vehicle that day, im sure he planned it........

ALL JUST MOO, OTHER THEN THE KNOWN FACTS, NOTHING CERTAIN, SPECULATION ON MY PART.

The article by Lori Simon is an excerpt from a book to come out this year, if it hasn't already come out, according to a blurb at the end of the article.

The person of interest, is not due out until 2012...........if the DA takes what they have before then, to a GJ.....the GJ would vote indict and charge him with what evidence they do have.......a jury would convict this person, and he would be sentence to life without parole, without seeing one day of freedom in 2012.....then perhaps over time, when the reporters are gone, and time goes by, he may tell once and for all, what really happened on that day.........but until then, i dont sense hes going to say anything about htis case, hes looking at 2012, and freedom!............with or without the remains.......he would be found guilty, the remains, would just be an exclamation point on the case for the DA........but it would bring closure to this chapter for the family, to have some phyiscal closure, by having the boy buried.....the book, would never be finished.

This missing child still holds us ‘Captive’

Before Megan’s Law, Amber Alerts and milk carton portraits, there was Etan Patz.

Thirty years ago this week, the 6-year-old New Yorker walked to the school bus stop for the first time all by himself.

He never came home.

Three decades later, Patz is still the poster child for missing children. Because of his case, laws have changed, there’s a national database for missing and exploited children and the reins to childhood, once slack and carefree, are forever tightened.

Ramos, the prime suspect in the case, and the boyfriend of Etan’s babysitter, is serving time in a Pennsylvania prison on unrelated child molestation charges.

Though Ramos was never convicted of the boy’s murder, the Patzes filed a wrongful death suit against him. He was found liable in 2004. Ramos is scheduled to be released 16 months early - in 2012.

Still, Stan Patz, who lives in Brooklyn with Julie, now a teacher, mails to Ramos their son’s missing-child poster on Etan’s birthday and the day he disappeared. There is a simple question on the back:

“What did you do to my little boy?”

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/books/view/2009_05_28_This_missing_child_still_holds_us_%E2%80%98Captive_/srvc=home&position=also

Oh Etan, you're story made me realize that the world is not a safe place for little ones.

I wish that Etan's parents could have him back for their peace of mind.

Did anyone else watch 20/20 last night with Etan's case?

Etan Patz Case Still Captivates 30 Years Later

On May 25, 1979, a little boy left for school and never came home. Thirty years and countless investigations later, his family is hopeful the time has finally come to prosecute the man they believe is responsible.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=7698696&page=1

I wish this family could know what happened. I dont believe this dirt bag let him go like he said.

I wish this family could know what happened. I dont believe this dirt bag let him go like he said.

I don't, either. I am sorry to say this, but I think the most likely thing to have happened is that he raped and killed Etan and then threw him in the garbage. I believe the garbage from NYC was taken out to sea. The perp knows the body will never be found.

I so feel for Etan's parents, they deserve to know the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth