629 users online (71 members and 558 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wild Midwest!
    Posts
    789

    CAN someone please explain what Jury of the Defendants peers really means?

    Hi,
    I have been watching Jury selection for 10 days now and am confused on why the courts and law says that we have the right to a jury of our peers?

    I am confused as Casey was born to two caucasian parents and her hispanic attorney is asking for minorities?, single men, women with no children, etc etc.
    Does anyone else feel confused on the meaning of a jury of one's peers?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathbuddys View Post
    Hi,
    I have been watching Jury selection for 10 days now and am confused on why the courts and law says that we have the right to a jury of our peers?

    I am confused as Casey was born to two caucasian parents and her hispanic attorney is asking for minorities?, single men, women with no children, etc etc.
    Does anyone else feel confused on the meaning of a jury of one's peers?

    maybe this should be asked in the questions for lawyers thread?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    2,244
    According to:

    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...+one%27s+peers
    it means:

    jury of one's peers n. a guaranteed right of criminal defendants, in which "peer" means an "equal." This has been interpreted by courts to mean that the available jurors include a broad spectrum of the population, particularly of race, national origin and gender. Jury selection may include no process which excludes those of a particular race or intentionally narrows the spectrum of possible jurors. It does not mean that women are to be tried by women, Asians by Asians, or African Americans by African Americans.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The beautiful roundabout of Context, Veracity, and JUSTICE
    Posts
    11,424
    Will leave this thread open for now, but am taking the original post over to the Verified Lawyer's thread. Think it is a great and relevant question, but I think our VLs will have an answer for us in short order.
    You can hold back from the suffering of the world. You have free permission to do so and it is in accordance with your nature.
    But perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could have avoided.
    Franz Kafka

    Be not simply good. Be good for something.
    HDT

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    803
    I think Marina answered that question very well, so I don't think I can add more to that question... but I don't think the DT are at all interested in a jury of ICA's peers because-- lets face it: ICA's peers are level headed, successful, well educated people. They want the exact opposite. Single men that have never had children. I hate to agree with the FB p juror re: how the defense wants him because he's single, AA, no children & and he's a man.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    2,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetaime View Post
    I think Marina answered that question very well, so I don't think I can add more to that question... but I don't think the DT are at all interested in a jury of ICA's peers because-- lets face it: ICA's peers are level headed, successful, well educated people. They want the exact opposite. Single men that have never had children. I hate to agree with the FB p juror re: how the defense wants him because he's single, AA, no children & and he's a man.
    That man was everything the defense wanted all rolled up into one and he knew it.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Culpeper, Virginia
    Posts
    3,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
    According to:

    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...+one%27s+peers
    it means:

    jury of one's peers n. a guaranteed right of criminal defendants, in which "peer" means an "equal." This has been interpreted by courts to mean that the available jurors include a broad spectrum of the population, particularly of race, national origin and gender. Jury selection may include no process which excludes those of a particular race or intentionally narrows the spectrum of possible jurors. [B]It does not mean that women are to be tried by women, Asians by Asians, or African Americans by African Americans.[/B]
    Yet this is precisely what some attorneys in some cases-cough cough OJ-seek.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,276
    If I remember from my HS government class it was to keep the upper class from ruling over the lower class and giving the government too much control over the little guy. In a way like the balance of power we see in our 3 part government (President, Judicial, Congress) Our founding Fathers hoped to avoid some of what they had just lived during the Colonial/Revolutionary days.

    In having a trial by jury, it keeps the government from having too much control.

    Most of the time it works...some times it back fires but that will happen in any institution where humans are involved.
    Sitting. on. hands.




Similar Threads

  1. Minnesota gay teens bullied by adults, peers, say activists
    By Steely Dan in forum Bullies and Stalkers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 03:57 PM
  2. NOT GUILTY CA - Bonnie Lee Bakley, 44, shot to death, Studio City, 4 May 2001
    By blueclouds in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 148
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 04:32 PM