797 users online (163 members and 634 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

OR - Woodburn, 'Portland Eck' WhtMale 1281UMOR, 35-45, SK victim, Jul'80

Unidentified White Male

Doe Network Case Number 1281UMOR http://doenetwork.org/cases/1281umor.html

The victim was discovered on July 18, 1980 in Marion County, Oregon
    Estimated Date of Death: July 18, 1980
    Cause of Death: Asphyxiated due to ligature strangulation.

Estimated age: 35-40 years old
    Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6"; 160 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown, balding hair; blue eyes and a mustache.
    Clothing: Red T-shirt. Blue, Wrangler jeans. Brown leather boots.
    Dentals: Available.

The victim was located near the side of Interstate 5, one mile south of Woodburn, Oregon. The victim's blood contained alcohol (0.06 percent) and diazepam. The victim's bootlaces and belt were missing. He is thought to be a victim of serial-killer Randy Kraft. According to a list that Kraft kept, he called this man "Portland Elk” (according to Doe Network) or “Portland Eck” (according to the LA Times).

I can’t find a listing for him in NamUs at this time.

This is an article about the man that appeared in the Eugene Register http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...pg=6807,196695
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-10-2013 at 03:04 AM.

This might be a long shot, but I was wondering if Steve Losonczi http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...czi_steve.html could be this John Doe? I noticed a strong resemblance between the two and the heights and weights are very close.

Last edited by Ambercat; 05-18-2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: added photo

I think you have a really good match here - I did a cursory search and could not find any others anywhere close to this one. You'll need to find out however if there are dental records available in Steve's case - the UID file doesn't say if they have DNA (it was 1980 so I doubt it) but they do have dentals so in order to make a match you'll need the MP's dentals.
    Some people do crossword puzzles or Soduko in their spare time...I look at skeletal reconstructions and work on UID puzzles. I swear I'm not this morbid in person!

Help Fred Murray find his daughter and bring her home. He should not be walking those woods alone!
    What Happened to Maura Murray? http://www.mauramurraymissing.com

Quote Originally Posted by future criminologist View Post
    I think you have a really good match here - I did a cursory search and could not find any others anywhere close to this one. You'll need to find out however if there are dental records available in Steve's case - the UID file doesn't say if they have DNA (it was 1980 so I doubt it) but they do have dentals so in order to make a match you'll need the MP's dentals.
    I agree. Everything is consistent except the moustache. He has a similar hairline, blue eyes, height/weight are very close, his age (though slightly above range) is close enough , and the timeline is good.

Definitely worth a look.

Everything matches up closely enough and with the time difference between DLC and time found it would be enough to grow a mustache.

I'd definately submit. The resemblence is too strong not too imo.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply. I couldn't find much more out about Steve Losonczi's disappearance. I am going to submit this to Marion County as a possible match (I never did this before). I will let you know what they respond. This might be sort of dumb question, but is it ok to do this via e-mail?
    Last edited by Ambercat; 05-25-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: had a question

On Wednesday afternoon, I e-mailed the Oregon State Police (one of the agencies handling the unidentified man in Oregon’s case) and the LAPD (the agency handling Steve Losonczi’s disappearance). I wrote to the Marion County Medical Examiner (the other agency handling the Oregon John Doe’s case) via postal mail because I couldn’t find an e-mail address for them. This is the first time I did this and I was wondering, how long does it take for LE to respond and let you know that they received your information about a possible match?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambercat View Post
    On Wednesday afternoon, I e-mailed the Oregon State Police (one of the agencies handling the unidentified man in Oregon’s case) and the LAPD (the agency handling Steve Losonczi’s disappearance). I wrote to the Marion County Medical Examiner (the other agency handling the Oregon John Doe’s case) via postal mail because I couldn’t find an e-mail address for them. This is the first time I did this and I was wondering, how long does it take for LE to respond and let you know that they received your information about a possible match?
    There is no rule-of-thumb. Some agencies respond quickly, some don't respond at all. I've never dealt with the Oregon State Police, so I couldn't tell you what to expect.

I received an e-mail today (Friday June 10th) from Jill Spackman of the Oregon State Police stating
    I am working on the Marion County Unid'd and LAPD missing person case.

I just wanted to let you know we are addressing it now and will let you know when we complete this.

Jill Spackman, Analyst
    Oregon State Police
    Homicide Investigation Tracking System HITS, ViCAP, Interpol

Yesterday, I e-mailed Jill Spackman because I was curious as to what happened regarding the possible match between Portland Eck and Steve Losonczi. Her reply was as follows
    No problem, I am glad you e-mailed me. I haven't heard a thing since they were going out to see if the ex-girlfriends daughter still has his belongings. I just wrote myself a note to contact them.

I will let you know.

Jill

I had a dream about him the other night and I learned in the dream that he was identified as Jon Garete. I am not psychic and there's no reason for anybody to look that up thinking it's really his name, it was just weird where that came from.

Losonczki looks good to me, hope you find out soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    I had a dream about him the other night and I learned in the dream that he was identified as Jon Garete. I am not psychic and there's no reason for anybody to look that up thinking it's really his name, it was just weird where that came from.

That's really interesting, because I have had a number of dreams about unidentified or missing people and I was always hesitant to post anything on Websleuths about it because I'm not really sure how people would react. For example, I had a really hair-raising nightmare about a missing person from the 1970s being murdered in an area near a power plant that is very familiar and it shook me up for days after that.

Was "Jon Garete" written or phonetic (could it have been John Garetti or other spellings)?

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post

I wonder if in your dream, you came up with the name Garete because it sounds similar to the word "garotte", which is a strangulation device.

I still haven't heard back from Oregon about if Steve Losonczi is a match or not, but I was thinking if the notation for the unidentified man was "Portland Elk," I wonder if the man's nickname was "Buck?"

He is now in NamUs -- https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9991

No rule outs are listed. I never did hear back about Steve Losonczi; I'm not sure if that is a no, or they are still working on it, or ???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast