Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I was in the courtroom this afternoon, Fri. May 20

I was in the courtroom this afternoon, Fri. May 20

Logged on at 12:30 and heard about the lady disrupting the court and I decided I would go over for the afternoon session. I was in a hurry so I didn't bring a notebook to write down impressions. Let me know if you have any questions.

I saw and walked by all the players in the hall before court went into session. No, I didn't talk to any of them. On entering the courtroom, everybody was asked to sit behind the prosecution. The rows in back of the defense table were closed. I sat in the back row.

From the back row, I could see the laptops that were open, though I could not see what was written (too far back). I did notice that the laptop in front of Baez was scrolling like someone might be writing something. It was a consistent scrolling where the top line would disappear and the next one would move up. So I think his complaints about people being able to read it were legitimate, but just use an Ipad.

Casey was already seated when I entered the room. At one time I counted 10 law enforcement officers in the room.

The one juror who delighted everyone was the 25-year-old carpenter guy who lives at home with his parental units.

When they had the hearing for the lady who disrupted the court this morning, Casey was not present.

The defense and the prosecution do mingle when not on deck. Saw LDB and Mason chuckling about something during one of the breaks.

At the end when they were swearing in the jury, they had 12 law enforcement officers all facing the audience ready to jump on any disruption.

On the way out, I was in an elevator with two other ladies and Drew Petrimoulx came in. I knew who he was. The others were discussing the news not in a favorable way and then asked him if he was with the media. He said yes. They asked him if he was with Nancy Grace, and he said "who is she?" He said he was with talk news and we arrived on the ground floor and that was that.

2. The Following 254 Users Say Thank You to Joanner For This Useful Post:

21merc7, 3doglady, 4Jacy, 4realtho, 76GaRN, 8paws, adb263, adnoid, Adrienne37, affinity, agathie, akashana, aklady, Alcina, alwaysonmymind, Amil, Anais, angela, angelaware, angeleleven, archenemy toenail, atthelake, Avid Reader, A_News_Junkie, bananarama, beach, BigFatMommyDog, BLU83, bogeygal, Bon, Brassband, Brattigirle, Bree0372, BritsKate, BrittMontero, Cabin girl, CalifMomOf2, camcneishg, Capri, CarolinaMoon, Casey Serin, cecybeans, chefmom, chelle70, Cher352, cherishtoo, chicoliving, Chiquita71, clannad, cleo612, cloud9, Concerned Papa, coopzoo, Cortne, crucibelle, Curious Me, CuriousHousewife, cyberborg, Dafne, Dawn316, debloree, Della, denjet, DEPUTYDAWG, distracted 1976, dog.gone.cute, drip~drop, dt1154, EgyptNug, elementary, enelram, essies, everyoneneedsavoice, ExpectingUnicorns, Eye Wonder, Fluffy Puppy, For The Kids, Forensic fan, gamom, gelfie68, GennyMac, GetSmart, gitana1, Gma Kat, goldie finch, gramcracker, Hamsterdance, Harlow, headndownstream, heartfortruth, I Din Doot, Ilenser, Illinois2, Indianagirl, Intermezzo, ishouldbworking, Itsy, IvyM, Jackson44, jandkmom, JDzWife, jen&jonhart, Jenny60123, Jodiinvegas, joeskidbeck, john's mom, Jomo, joypath, JSV, Kat, KathrynL, KatrinaLee73, katydid23, KenoshaKid, Kimster, LadyL, LaLaw2000, LancelotLink, LandAuxvasse, Lanie, LC446, LCoastMom, ldh, leandjl, Leila, LglNrs, lib's mom, LinasK, lishac23, LittleMiss, LiveLaughLuv, LMax, logicalgirl, LoisDenominator, LolaMoon08, Lucylu7, Mama-cita, Mamabear1963, mankato64, Mariah, Melanie, merker, mikeysmommom, milliac, mimi56, missm, mitzi, Moggie, momtective, Mumsy, Murdock, MvD, my2sense, mydailyopinions, mysteriew, Mystic, nachomama, newsjunkie, Niner, NocturnalLady, Noddy, Nore, Novice Seeker, nssherlock, nursebeeme, Oakley, octobermoon, okiedokietoo, OneLostGrl, Paintr, PalmettoGirl, passionflower, Pattymarie, Peepers McPeep, Perelandra48, Pink Panther, PMLsmom, quadlatte, Quiche, Rapunzel, Red Sox Fan, ROBLYN, RR0004, SailorMoon, SallyLu, salvarenga, Samigirl28, sayd, scaller, scandi, ScubaTwinn, SevenSeas, ShadowGal, shana, shaye, Shear22, shelbar53, shotgun09, Silkprint, smart blonde, Snaz, Softail, Sooner Fan#1, Soulmagent, spqr, Star12, STEADFAST, suekensr, SummerRaye, SurfieTX, suzihawk, SuziQ, TakingALook, TallyHo, taml, tasylshari, teddiebear1955, teedie2, tehcloser, texaslb218, tfrohning, Thinaire, ThinkTank, TiaM, TigerBalm, Tiki, tiredofthis, tlcya, tragco, Trapshooter, Tricksy, tsitra01, Tulessa, Turtles, UESwifey, watcher9, watchinginky, watergirl, wenwe4, whisperOFwings, Whome?, Wills, Woe.be.gone, wonders, xin, yeknomaras, YellowSubmarine, ynotdivein, Zinvestigator, zippitydoda, Zoe Bogart, zoey, zoomom, ZsaZsa

"The others were discussing the news not in a favorable way"

Please expand if you can.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Cher352 For This Useful Post:

They were saying something about "crappy news" in regards to the case. Don't know why.

Oh, there was no dress code for spectators.

Joanner! THANK YOU! What was your impression of the last potential juror - the one who helped at the animal shelter? Some of us were "all for" and some of us got hinkied..

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

My honest impression of the last juror was that she wanted to be on the jury. She had a smile on most of the time, just an observation about the smiling.

Also something notable, there would be people whispering to each other, but when it came time to swear in the jury, there was dead silence in the gallery.

Thank you for sharing. One question ... did people seem scared of the Judge? Were they respectful? I find the judge absolutely amazing, best judge I've ever seen.

Joanner, why is it so easy to get in? Isn't there a line up? I would think that the media would be all over getting in! I'm so confused about how few people there are in there! Can anyone just walk in?

11. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Pink Panther For This Useful Post:

Thanks Joanner!!!

Just a quick question...did they ask you any questions before allowing you to come in the court room? I thought the proceedings were closed due to the pretty empty courtroom the last several days...however I did notice the gallery was packed today. Any insight?

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lishac23 For This Useful Post:

Thank you Joanner. It's always great to have an eyewitness prospective.

You say Casey wasn't in the courtroom when the hearing was done for the woman who created the outburst. Interesting to note.

Funny though, what I saw on In Session made it appear Casey was present while the woman addressed the judge. Or at least that's what I thought I saw. Thanks again for your input.
    jmo
    The Hokey Pokey Clinic - A good place to turn yourself around:

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Panther View Post
    Joanner, why is it so easy to get in? Isn't there a line up? I would think that the media would be all over getting in! I'm so confused about how few people there are in there! Can anyone just walk in?
    I thought about going over just once, live in area but I didnt know if they allowed just anyone in. I thought maybe just certified news media types. yes, I am surprised the place wasnt packed.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to feddup For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joanner View Post
    They were saying something about "crappy news" in regards to the case. Don't know why.

Oh, there was no dress code for spectators.
    Thank you for your impressions. As far as the dress code, we noticed that. Two, um, ladies up front had on short skirts and didn't know how to sit properly in them. I'm so glad the camera guy didn't zoom in just for giggles.

Hi Joanner - thanks for the report. I'm very interested in hearing an extended version of your impressions of ICA - and thanks!

19. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to logicalgirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by azwriter View Post

You say Casey wasn't in the courtroom when the hearing was done for the woman who created the outburst. Interesting to note.

Funny though, what I saw on In Session made it appear Casey was present while the woman addressed the judge. Or at least that's what I thought I saw. Thanks again for your input.
    jmo
    az - there were two times she addressed the judge - the first time she was wearing a sundress - that was right after it happened and Casey was in the courtroom The second time she was in jail garb and appeared with her atty - that time they removed ICA from the courtroom for the proceeding.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    Mark Twain

jmo
    I think she came back a second time with an attorney if I understood what I read correctly and the judge would not rescind the 2 day sentence.

Was Casey there for the swearing in of the jury?
    My posts are my opinion only.....

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Baznme For This Useful Post:

jmo
    She was in the courtroom the first time when Judge Perry brought the woman in immediately after the outburst but the second time when the woman came in with her public defender, they had taken Casey to the back.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Adrienne37 For This Useful Post:

Joanner, isnt it funny how once you get near there are all those signs for Bail bonds, etc? lol Its amazing theyre everywhere and you sure know youre close to the Pinellas County big place!

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to feddup For This Useful Post:

The only juror who seemed intimidated by the process was an AA woman. Jeff Ashton I think told her she could smile and something else to try to relax her. I am sure you all got it but I didn't hear it in the back.

I actually went over the courthouse the other day to see how one could get in to watch and if you had to get a pass or something. Nope. When you enter the courthouse, you immediately go through security like in the airport--you put your carry-ins in a plastic tray that goes through a scanner and you walk through a metal detecctor. Then up to the fourth floor. There is a court officer outside the door of the courtroom that goes over a few things like no water, no cells, etc. As long as you get through security, you are good to get in. They don't ask you any questions.

I think it seemed crowded to the TV audience because we all had to sit on that one side.

Casey was present for the swearing in. The defense and the prosecution all moved the chairs around to face the jury and the audience.

They had taken Casey out of the courtroom, then quite a few more officers came in, then the outburst lady with a court appointed lawyer came in.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrienne37 View Post
    She was in the courtroom the first time when Judge Perry brought the woman in immediately after the outburst but the second time when the woman came in with her public defender, they had taken Casey to the back.
    I think they took ICA out so the DT could talk to her about the jury...
    IMO

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Amster For This Useful Post:

The only juror who seemed intimidated by the process was an AA woman. Jeff Ashton I think told her she could smile and something else to try to relax her. I am sure you all got it but I didn't hear it in the back.

I actually went over the courthouse the other day to see how one could get in to watch and if you had to get a pass or something. Nope. When you enter the courthouse, you immediately go through security like in the airport--you put your carry-ins in a plastic tray that goes through a scanner and you walk through a metal detecctor. Then up to the fourth floor. There is a court officer outside the door of the courtroom that goes over a few things like no water, no cells, etc. As long as you get through security, you are good to get in. They don't ask you any questions.

I think it seemed crowded to the TV audience because we all had to see on that one side.

They had taken Casey out of the courtroom, then quite a few more officers came in, then the outburst lady with a court appointed lawyer came in.
    Thanks for answering. I guess everyone has been assuming that a special pass is/was required.

31. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pink Panther For This Useful Post:

As I think about this afternoon, I'll remember more things.

Four well-dressed young men came and sat two rows in front of me. Two ladies (actually the same ones that were in the elevator with me) were one row in front of me and they asked the guys if they were law students. They said they were lawyers.

During the part where Baez was asking for more peremptory strikes (denied), all four of the guys were nodding their heads yes, like they approved of Baez asking for that.

The beautiful roundabout of Context, Veracity, and JUSTICE
    Quote Originally Posted by lowens1975 View Post
    Thank you for your impressions. As far as the dress code, we noticed that. Two, um, ladies up front had on short skirts and didn't know how to sit properly in them. I'm so glad the camera guy didn't zoom in just for giggles.
    I am RIGHT HERE with my finger poised over the post-zapper button folks.
    You can hold back from the suffering of the world. You have free permission to do so and it is in accordance with your nature.
    But perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could have avoided.
    Franz Kafka

Be not simply good. Be good for something.
    HDT

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMommyDog View Post
    az - there were two times she addressed the judge - the first time she was wearing a sundress - that was right after it happened and Casey was in the courtroom The second time she was in jail garb and appeared with her atty - that time they removed ICA from the courtroom for the proceeding.
    Oh, thanks BigFatMommyDog. Good to know. I only saw the immediate address to the judge when she was brought back into the court room after her outburst.

Living on the west coast, In Session ends its broadcast here at Noon. So I don't always see a full day's coverage.
    The Hokey Pokey Clinic - A good place to turn yourself around:

35. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to azwriter For This Useful Post:

As I think about this afternoon, I'll remember more things.

Four well-dressed young men came and sat two rows in front of me. Two ladies (actually the same ones that were in the elevator with me) were one row in front of me and they asked the guys if they were law students. They said they were lawyers.

During the part where Baez was asking for more peremptory strikes (denied), all four of the guys were nodding their heads yes, like they approved of Baez asking for that.
    BBM

Anyone know what the rule is regarding this?

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lishac23 For This Useful Post:

Joanner, did you hear or find out anything about the "detective" in black who spoke to the juror while everyone was out due to the commotion?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast