Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 500

Thread: 2011.05.20 On a Scale of 1 to 10 How do you Feel About this Jury?

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hellaware
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by Leila View Post
    Does anyone know the law regarding the votes on a first degree murder case in Florida? Is it a majority - 7 out of 12 votes for conviction? Or does it have to be unanimous - 12 out of 12?

    What about the punishment? Is it just a majority or does it have to be unanimous?
    Leila - in the guilt phase, the vote must be unanimous. In the penalty phase, majority... but I think the judge has the final say on the penalty.

  2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to crucibelle For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28,782
    Quote Originally Posted by panthera View Post
    I found this interesting - we'll have to wait to see........
    "There are two possibly positive jurors for Casey: the African-American woman who said she can't judge people, and the African-American man who said he is against the death penalty. Both said they could do what they had to, but prosecutors said they're worried she could hang the jury."
    http://www.wftv.com/news/27970154/detail.html
    ........and with that in mind, I'm unsure what number I'd give them.
    MOO
    Neither of these two jurors worry me that much, and here is why.

    Baez's angle is to get as many minority jurors as possible because one of his major strategies is that LE rushed to judgement, lied, and railroaded her.

    If Casey was black or Latino, or even white, but poor and trod upon, then that strategy might work with these 2 jurors. They might buy it. I am sure they both have been treated rudely by cops or security because of their skin color. Sadly, it still happens. BUT THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THAT CASEY WAS TREATED UNFAIRLY. Quite the opposite. If a black suspect told the whopping lies that Casey did and had a missing child for a month they would have been arrested immediately, and these 2 jurors KNOW THAT.
    They will reject that part of Baez's strategy, imo.

    Also, they both say they are anti-DP. And if you noticed, it seemed that all of the African American PT's were strongly anti-DP. I understand because blacks are way more likely to get DP than other races, especially whites. So they generally object to it because it is being used unfairly if you look at the overall statistics. That being said, this is not a young black gang member caught up in the hood, doing a drive by and up for the DP. These 2 would not vote for that because of the racial inequities behind that whole situation.

    BUT THIS CASE---they will HATE ICA. She will get no compassion from them, even though they are passionate about the overuse of the Death Penalty. She is the opposite of what they are fighting against. They will see a young, white attractive, middle class girl with 2 parents and a nice home in a safe suburb, and she drops out of school, doesn't work, lies and steals from her family. AND FROM HER GRANDPARENTS. These two jurors will HATE THAT SHE STOLE FROM HER INVALID GRANDFATHER TO PAY HER CELL PHONE.

    And the DT is never going to convince these 2 that her home life was horribly abusive and frightening. No way.
    They will have seen far worse family situations in their wider communities, and will have no sympathy for a PTSD theory.

    These 2 jurors are religious and have conservative family values. Casey spits in the face of what they stand for. Once they get a load of how she speaks to her family, and how she disrespects her elders and steals from them all---I predict they will be easily swayed to give her a huge punishment.

    I don't care if she ends up with DP or not, I want her put away forever. And these 2 jurors may lead the charge. I am serious. The DT is going to be sorry
    in the end, imo/
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn


  4. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    arkansas
    Posts
    409
    I know you said a scale of 1 to 10 - BUT - I'd give them a 12

    12 jurors who will be charged with the task of hearing the evidence in this case over the next several weeks - 12 jurors who will be separated from family and friends and jobs and homes for almost 2 months (perhaps longer) - 12 jurors who likely knew all they had to do to stay off this jury and not miss that time with family and from their jobs was to say they had already made up their minds - 12 jurors who will deliberate with each other after closing arguments and try to reach a unanimous decision - 12 jurors who many will consider Caylee's heroes if they reach a guilty verdict and some will consider Caylee's foes if they reach a non-guilty verdict and who most will consider a disappointment if they end up as a hung jury

    Forgive me for giving a rating outside the scale of 1 to 10, but I give them a 12

    (perhaps I should have given a 12+ to include the alternates)
    I know that you think you understand what you thought you heard me say, but, I'm not sure that you realize that what you heard me say is not really what I meant to convey.

  5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to aafromaa For This Useful Post:


  6. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    912
    I think they will convict her annd she will get life without parole..She will probably end up calling her mother after her first week in prison when she no longer has her defense team. Casey will call her mom collect and say hi mom how are you,when are you coming to see me.
    Come to think of it LWOP doesn't really sound so bad. Casey will be on one side of the bars and Cindy on the other and they can continue to tourcher each other.
    Hopefully we'll be able to watch the videos !!

    I give it 10
    Last edited by nanny1; 05-21-2011 at 01:19 AM.

  7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nanny1 For This Useful Post:


  8. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Culpeper, Virginia
    Posts
    3,195
    I am okay with them all and here's why: I have watched LDB and Yuri these past few years, and I have watched JB these past few years. I believe this jury can be affected by the state.
    LDB is never condescending and she never assumes anything. She is low-key but straight forward and she will be able to guide the jurors from A-Z. She is logic embodied.

    Dreamboat Yuri is not Barney Fife, nor is he Officer hard-arse. No matter what the A's have said about him, he has never shown them anything less than compassion-he does not have to be combative because he is confident that he has brought a full and telling case to the state for prosecution. He's been around the block, but he's not arrogant.
    I believe this jury of everyday people will see that he tried, he really tried, but he was dealing with a deceitful individual in KC. Yuri may be the first witness that makes the jury fully aware of who Casey Anthony really is.

    JB, IMO, makes too many gaffs, too many assumptions, gets too worked up. He tries too hard. QUITE FRANKLY, he comes off as the defense attorney that will say anything to get his client acquitted, even if it's not the truth. I believe this jury will not be into his schtick.
    CM has not been likeable from the day he VERY rudely stepped into HHJS court. Ugh, he was so rude that day. AF & DS are a bit dry, but that's okay-They should've been her lead attorneys, this jury will hear them out.

    Jeff Ashton may frighten them a bit. Especially for those jurors that are not prepared for all of the nasty details this case has to offer. If there is a juror that is faint at heart, they may not exactly love JA.

    All in all, though, I think LDB will be very effective for this particular jury comprised of a good mix of Floridians.

  9. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Just Jayla For This Useful Post:


  10. #31
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,050
    I give them a 6. I don't like the AA woman that can't judge. she is going to hang the jury unless they can somehow get rid of her during deliberations and get another alternate in.

    Also, there were several against the DP so I have to lower the rating. I do not believe the Prosecution will get a DP ruling out of this jury. I am also shocked that the judge calls this a DP qualified jury. In Calif they would have to be willing to vote the DP or they wouldn't get on the jury. He let any ol person on if he could bully them into saying they would consider it. The AA woman never said she could consider it and he still put her on.

  11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kathyn2 For This Useful Post:


  12. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    2,435
    I will hold off on giving a final number as I am still studying the pro and cons but here is my initial impressions:

    From what I have heard, jurors in favor of the DP are more likely to produce a guilty verdict and I don't see a lot of stong DP supporters in thios group.

    As to the make-up of them I feel good that there is 7 women in the 1st 12 seats and 2 as alternates which I think this is good for the state. However half of all the jurors have no children which may favor the defense.

    I did like 1340 & 3281 sorry they are gone as they were 2 of the stronger personalities which would less likely to be swayed by others.

    And lastly....It does seem the DT was a little loose in giving so many strikes so early in the process. I feel the SA maybe happier tonight than the DT.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cher352 For This Useful Post:


  14. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    275
    I would give the jury a 7.

    The only person that worries me that this point is the woman who says she can't judge.

  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JennaB For This Useful Post:


  16. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    2,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Meemom View Post
    ITA- The non judging lady really worries me. They did try to strike her twice and JB threw in the race card, and because SA didn't quote hung jury as an initial cause, HHJP declined to strike her. I am hoping that she will seek guidance from her pastor this weekend, and either decide it's ok to make a judgement from the evidence or somehow get herself off the jury and an alternate gets on. If that happens, I think I could take it up to a 10. JMO
    She worried me in the beginning too but the more I think about it might not be so bad. HHJP seemed to sway her rather easlily, I think if she stays she may just follow the majority in the guilt phase. Not so in the sentancing phase but I then again I don't see a lot of them as strongly favoring the DP from their statements so that may be a stretch anyway.

  17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cher352 For This Useful Post:


  18. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NW Oregon Coast
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Cher352 View Post
    She worried me in the beginning too but the more I think about it might not be so bad. HHJP seemed to sway her rather easlily, I think if she stays she may just follow the majority in the guilt phase. Not so in the sentancing phase but I then again I don't see a lot of them as strongly favoring the DP from their statements so that may be a stretch anyway.
    she'll sway. not sure about him. he may not need to.

    imo.
    IF I PUT IT HERE ITS MY OPINION. apparently i have no idea when i need to say that in a post, so this should cover it....IN MY OPINION anyways,

    welcome to the gates of hell JVDS.




    Jose Baez: “I sincerely believe that when we have finally spoken, everyone, and I mean everyone, will sit back and say, ‘Now, I understand. That explains it.’”



    Jose Baez to da judge :

    ".....that type of testing is unique. we requested that they be allowed to test items and that of course was objected to by the state and and uh the state uh granted or sustained their objection, denied our opportunity to have him test these items due to a very specialized field, subfield, of dna that he is one of the pioneers of uh in the alternative of we were granted the ability to test certain items by an outside lab...."

  19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to costalpilot For This Useful Post:


  20. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,447
    Quote Originally Posted by crucibelle View Post
    Leila - in the guilt phase, the vote must be unanimous. In the penalty phase, majority... but I think the judge has the final say on the penalty.
    Thanks! I thought it was unanimous for guilt, but not sure as laws differ from state to state.

    I'm confident that with the evidence we've seen, although circumstantial, she will be found guilty.
    My posts are my opinion..........



  21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:


  22. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,347
    Quote Originally Posted by crucibelle View Post
    Leila - in the guilt phase, the vote must be unanimous. In the penalty phase, majority... but I think the judge has the final say on the penalty.
    The judge does, but he cannot "up" the penaty but if they come back with a death penalty he can bring it down to LWOP.
    ^^^^ everything up there is Moo

    I Still Call Australia Home

  23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GutFeeling! For This Useful Post:


  24. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    1,081
    A solid 7 and a half .

  25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Silkprint For This Useful Post:


  26. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,447
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    Neither of these two jurors worry me that much, and here is why.

    Baez's angle is to get as many minority jurors as possible because one of his major strategies is that LE rushed to judgement, lied, and railroaded her.

    If Casey was black or Latino, or even white, but poor and trod upon, then that strategy might work with these 2 jurors. They might buy it. I am sure they both have been treated rudely by cops or security because of their skin color. Sadly, it still happens. BUT THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THAT CASEY WAS TREATED UNFAIRLY. Quite the opposite. If a black suspect told the whopping lies that Casey did and had a missing child for a month they would have been arrested immediately, and these 2 jurors KNOW THAT.
    They will reject that part of Baez's strategy, imo.

    Also, they both say they are anti-DP. And if you noticed, it seemed that all of the African American PT's were strongly anti-DP. I understand because blacks are way more likely to get DP than other races, especially whites. So they generally object to it because it is being used unfairly if you look at the overall statistics. That being said, this is not a young black gang member caught up in the hood, doing a drive by and up for the DP. These 2 would not vote for that because of the racial inequities behind that whole situation.

    BUT THIS CASE---they will HATE ICA. She will get no compassion from them, even though they are passionate about the overuse of the Death Penalty. She is the opposite of what they are fighting against. They will see a young, white attractive, middle class girl with 2 parents and a nice home in a safe suburb, and she drops out of school, doesn't work, lies and steals from her family. AND FROM HER GRANDPARENTS. These two jurors will HATE THAT SHE STOLE FROM HER INVALID GRANDFATHER TO PAY HER CELL PHONE.

    And the DT is never going to convince these 2 that her home life was horribly abusive and frightening. No way.
    They will have seen far worse family situations in their wider communities, and will have no sympathy for a PTSD theory.

    These 2 jurors are religious and have conservative family values. Casey spits in the face of what they stand for. Once they get a load of how she speaks to her family, and how she disrespects her elders and steals from them all---I predict they will be easily swayed to give her a huge punishment.

    I don't care if she ends up with DP or not, I want her put away forever. And these 2 jurors may lead the charge. I am serious. The DT is going to be sorry
    in the end, imo/
    You bring up some valid points. The DT cannot portray KC as a victim of society..........she's not from a minority and she's not from a poor family. She had all the advantages of an average middle class family and chose to steal, lie, and not work.

    Every single member of the jury that has had to work to get where they are today is going to resent KC.
    My posts are my opinion..........



  27. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:


  28. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The beautiful roundabout of Context, Veracity, and JUSTICE
    Posts
    11,434
    Quote Originally Posted by GutFeeling! View Post
    The judge does, but he cannot "up" the penaty but if they come back with a death penalty he can bring it down to LWOP.
    Gut, in Florida this is different.

    From this link:

    https://litigation-essentials.lexisn...3f89428d759e92

    "Florida's death penalty statute is unique in that it allows trial judges to reject juries' sentencing "recommendations" of life imprisonment."

    So conceivably, the jury panel in this case could recommend LWOP and the judge could sentence death.
    You can hold back from the suffering of the world. You have free permission to do so and it is in accordance with your nature.
    But perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could have avoided.
    Franz Kafka

    Be not simply good. Be good for something.
    HDT

  29. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ynotdivein For This Useful Post:


  30. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by kathyn2 View Post
    I give them a 6. I don't like the AA woman that can't judge. she is going to hang the jury unless they can somehow get rid of her during deliberations and get another alternate in.

    Also, there were several against the DP so I have to lower the rating. I do not believe the Prosecution will get a DP ruling out of this jury. I am also shocked that the judge calls this a DP qualified jury. In Calif they would have to be willing to vote the DP or they wouldn't get on the jury. He let any ol person on if he could bully them into saying they would consider it. The AA woman never said she could consider it and he still put her on.
    I may be wrong, but the perception I got from this woman was that she cannot judge someone on rumor, or gossip, without knowing the facts, without knowing more than just conjecture.

    Like I said I may be totally off base, but I hold the same sentiments as this woman from what I know thus far... I do not judge anyone based upon what I hear from a rumor, or gossip, or onesided comments. That is how I perceived her responses. Hopefully I am not made to be proven wrong...but there is always that chance.


    Dr. G serving CM the "cause" of death of his defense on a silver platter!
    http://www.wftv.com/video/28200315/index.html

    **Snarky comment about not having enough posts to be posting previously typed here**

  31. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nitasch For This Useful Post:


  32. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,347
    Quote Originally Posted by ynotdivein View Post
    Gut, in Florida this is different.

    From this link:

    https://litigation-essentials.lexisn...3f89428d759e92

    "Florida's death penalty statute is unique in that it allows trial judges to reject juries' sentencing "recommendations" of life imprisonment."

    So conceivably, the jury panel in this case could recommend LWOP and the judge could sentence death.

    wowowowow Thank You! That is incredible
    ^^^^ everything up there is Moo

    I Still Call Australia Home

  33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GutFeeling! For This Useful Post:


  34. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    8,857

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by gamom View Post
    Listen to the juror who said she could not judge again. I did and it made me feel more comfortable with her. I think she will convict. But I don't think we will get a DP vote from her.
    That's a good point -- I will listen again.

    As long as she "convicts", it will not matter to me whether ICA gets LWOP or DP.

  35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dog.gone.cute For This Useful Post:


  36. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    8,857

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrs0806 View Post
    SA tried to use a strike TWICE on this Juror and DT Objectived and said it was Racial Basis and JP would not let them strike her.
    Yes, I remember that, but I was hoping there was some kind of "loophole" in the laws that would still allow the SA to strike her. It just makes me "very nervous" when someone says they can't judge other people and they are sitting on a jury because "ultimately" you are judging people and evidence.


    I guess we can "thank" JB and his "shenanigans" for bringing up "racial" issues -- which has absolutely NOTHING to do with "Justice for Caylee" !

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to dog.gone.cute For This Useful Post:


  38. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    8,857

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    Neither of these two jurors worry me that much, and here is why.

    Baez's angle is to get as many minority jurors as possible because one of his major strategies is that LE rushed to judgement, lied, and railroaded her.

    If Casey was black or Latino, or even white, but poor and trod upon, then that strategy might work with these 2 jurors. They might buy it. I am sure they both have been treated rudely by cops or security because of their skin color. Sadly, it still happens. BUT THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THAT CASEY WAS TREATED UNFAIRLY. Quite the opposite. If a black suspect told the whopping lies that Casey did and had a missing child for a month they would have been arrested immediately, and these 2 jurors KNOW THAT.
    They will reject that part of Baez's strategy, imo.

    Also, they both say they are anti-DP. And if you noticed, it seemed that all of the African American PT's were strongly anti-DP. I understand because blacks are way more likely to get DP than other races, especially whites. So they generally object to it because it is being used unfairly if you look at the overall statistics. That being said, this is not a young black gang member caught up in the hood, doing a drive by and up for the DP. These 2 would not vote for that because of the racial inequities behind that whole situation.

    BUT THIS CASE---they will HATE ICA. She will get no compassion from them, even though they are passionate about the overuse of the Death Penalty. She is the opposite of what they are fighting against. They will see a young, white attractive, middle class girl with 2 parents and a nice home in a safe suburb, and she drops out of school, doesn't work, lies and steals from her family. AND FROM HER GRANDPARENTS. These two jurors will HATE THAT SHE STOLE FROM HER INVALID GRANDFATHER TO PAY HER CELL PHONE.

    And the DT is never going to convince these 2 that her home life was horribly abusive and frightening. No way.
    They will have seen far worse family situations in their wider communities, and will have no sympathy for a PTSD theory.

    These 2 jurors are religious and have conservative family values. Casey spits in the face of what they stand for. Once they get a load of how she speaks to her family, and how she disrespects her elders and steals from them all---I predict they will be easily swayed to give her a huge punishment.

    I don't care if she ends up with DP or not, I want her put away forever. And these 2 jurors may lead the charge. I am serious. The DT is going to be sorry
    in the end, imo/
    katydid,

    These are some great points ! And I hope you are correct !!!

  39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dog.gone.cute For This Useful Post:


  40. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by crucibelle View Post
    Leila - in the guilt phase, the vote must be unanimous. In the penalty phase, majority... but I think the judge has the final say on the penalty.
    This jury will get the job done.

    Guilty;

    DP;

    Then the State can Kill Her!

    compulsive lies and bedroom eyes ....





    Casey (lip read): "How could she do this to me? She's my mother."

    AdoraBlue: Wonder if Caylee was thinking the same thing when YOU MURDERED HER KC?

  41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Casey Serin For This Useful Post:


  42. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,768
    Overall....a 7
    IMO

  43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amster For This Useful Post:


  44. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,987
    Quote Originally Posted by gamom View Post
    Listen to the juror who said she could not judge again. I did and it made me feel more comfortable with her. I think she will convict. But I don't think we will get a DP vote from her.

    this is also my opinion, I believe these jurors will convict of first degree, and I also believe they will vote LWOP.

    too many of the jurors had serious misgivings about the DP (which is great, no one should be gung ho to pass death) and I dont think we'll see that many of them vote for death.

  45. The Following User Says Thank You to 2goldfish For This Useful Post:


  46. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hellaware
    Posts
    905
    There was a lady sentenced to death in Florida, yesterday. I wish I knew the make-up of her jury and how they compare to what we know about the jury for ICA's trial. For example, I wonder how many of those jurors had expressed migivings about the DP, but voted for it anyway. Would be interesting, IMO.

  47. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crucibelle For This Useful Post:


  48. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,987
    Quote Originally Posted by ynotdivein View Post
    Gut, in Florida this is different.

    From this link:

    https://litigation-essentials.lexisn...3f89428d759e92

    "Florida's death penalty statute is unique in that it allows trial judges to reject juries' sentencing "recommendations" of life imprisonment."

    So conceivably, the jury panel in this case could recommend LWOP and the judge could sentence death.


    I believe HHJP will sentence ICA to life even if the jurors give a sentence of death....which I dont think they will anyways.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How does the jury feel about being "OJ #2"?
    By CharlestonGal in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 09:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •