Remembering Zahra

panthera

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Kyle Busch wins truck race with Zahra "riding shotgun"

CONCORD, N.C.-- In Victory Lane at Charlotte Motor Speedway Friday night, Kyle Busch said he had an angel riding with him as he took the checkered flag in a truck that featured Zahra Baker's name and picture.

The Busch team chooses a child's name each week for a program they call "Riding Shotgun with Kyle." The child's name and picture are featured just above Busch's head on the No. 18 truck.

This week, his wife Samantha encouraged him to honor the murdered child at the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race.

much more at http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Beth-story-122363024.html

Ok this simply made my day!!! It is the first time I had heard of this

I just learned and started reading about this case. Elisa Baker makes Casey Anthony look like an angel!

McDonald's joins fundraiser for Zahra's playground

A big boost came Thursday in the effort by Kiwanis Club to raise money to build a playground in memory of Zahra Baker, the 10-year-old girl authorities believe was murdered and then dismembered.

Two checks totaling $25,000 was handed to Kiwanis officials by John Link, the owner of the McDonald's restaurant on highway 321 in Hickory.

The donation comes from the Ronald McDonald charities. "It's a perfect fit for the money to go to," said Link.

more at http://www.wbtv.com/story/15213549/mcdonalds-joins-fundraiser-for-zahras-playground

I found a picture of it. Her photo and name appear just above the window opening. (You can barely make it out from this angle.) God bless Kyle Busch.

14668557_BG2.jpg

I found a picture of it. Her photo and name appear just above the window opening. (You can barely make it out from this angle.) God bless Kyle Busch.

14668557_BG2.jpg

The irony is that Zahra (& Elisa) were at a NASCAR promotion, where she got her hearing aid. NASCAR is HUGE (#2 watched sport on TV, even ahead of baseball), & does a lot of fan outreach. Most of the teams are headquartered in N. Carolina.

"Anytime you can put a smile on a child's face, you know you've made a difference"
-- All American Girl Racing (co-owner/driver Beccy Gordon, sister of Robby Gordon, NASCAR racer)

Here's a feel good story about Robby Gordon & a little girl:

http://www.speedtv.com/forums/viewthread/189731/P20/

Not a decent human being huh? Robby has been one of my favorites ever since his very first Cup start for Junie Donlavey in the Daytona 500 in 91. I was only 11 but for some reason that Robby Gordon guy got my attention. I've followed his career ever since through Cup, IndyCar, and everything else in between. I've only met my personal favorite driver one time - at Bristol a few years ago.

I got some stuff at his souvenir hauler and saw he would be appearing there in a couple of hours. I decided I would meet him and get him to sign my new shirt. He came around the corner and I just happened to spot him coming and didn't say anything. No one else saw him coming that way and he smiled as he saw I had a hat of his on and came right up to me and shook my hand on his way into his hauler. A man with a little girl was in front of me in line. She was BEAMING about getting to see Robby - she couldn't have been more than 5 or 6. Anyway, she just had a piece of paper for him to sign but she kept telling her dad as they got closer and closer she wanted a shirt. He was very nice about it but kept explaining to her that they just didn't have the extra money for a shirt that they had to get food inside of the track. She was heartbroken and wimpered a little but never cried. Anyway, again when they got to the front of the line she said daddy I really want that shirt - pointing to one in the hauler. Again he said sorry honey next time I promise. She just said ok and pushed her piece of paper to Robby as she lit up when he smiled at her. He said sweetie which shirt of mine did you like. She again pointed it out and he turned around and looked at it. He looked at her and then turned around and grabbed a kids size from behind the counter and handed it to her and said that he wanted her to have it - no charge for being his biggest fan. That girl that day had the BIGGEST smile on a kids face that I've ever seen. I was a 25 year old guy at the time and I even got a little misty eyed. Say whatever you want about Robby Gordon but his REAL FANS know what kind of person he is. I saw that firsthand and have heard many more great Robby stories from other fans of his. Continue to hate on him but that won't break the spirit of a real fan like myself.

I just got misty-eyed myself after reading that. Just a when a driver appears rough and tough, he turns out to have a heart of gold. :innocent:

Both Robby Gordon & Kyle Busch are "controversial figures", very aggressive/talented racers who have a bit of edge. Both get a lot of flak for their "less than perfect" personal behavior, which is a consequence of their desire to win. Kyle was recently pulled over for speeding at over 100 mph (in N. Carolina) in his new sportscar.

"His heart is in the right place [ Dr. Jeklyl ], but his on track decisions are questionable [ Mr. Hyde ]"
-- fan on Robby Gordon

Here is a video of R. Gordon at '07 Parker 400, where he's friendly with a couple of young girls (with another team) & invites 1 of them to ride in his Trophy Truck:

http://robby-gordon.blogspot.com/2007/02/r-gordon-tt-77-bitd-07-parker.html

==========

- parents

- school
red flags were observed

- child protective services
visits were made, but were understaffed

- NASCAR
did their job

- neighbors
observed signs of abuse

- relatives

- legal system
total failure, as evidenced by Elisa's guilty plea to 2nd degree murder (16 yrs sentence). Got away with murder, so to say.

In retrospect, Zahra was let down by the "system/establishment". Too bad, there wasn't a Robby Gordon around, who went in & "took control". (bypassed the system, & gave a needy girl a t-shirt).

You will recall Zahra (1 legged, with prosthetic on missing leg) wanted a bike real bad, & Elisa subjected her to torture. Made her climb a hill. I think some enterprising bike company should make a signature edition bike call "Zahra". GT (well known bike company) had an elite series of mountain bike called Zaskar. With the insane gas prices, there's a real movement to biking, & what better promotion (to get kids into biking) than a "Zahra" bike.

zaskar1.jpg

Wishing you, sweet little girl, a very happy birthday x

:cake4u:

A playground will be built in honor of Zahra:

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Groundbreaking--133947838.html

HICKORY, N.C. -- Neighbors, city officials and local civic groups broke ground Wednesday on a playground for Zahra Baker on what would have been the murdered Hickory girl’s 12th birthday.

The playground is called Zahra Baker All Children’s Playground and will be built at Kiwanis Park on 7th Street S.E.

111611zahra.jpg

Zahra, you live within all of us whose hearts and souls you touched. Fly free and fly far sweet child. May the children of hickory spend untold hours of joy running, climbing and giggling in the playground erected in your honor.

My baby's birthday is 11.26.01. So close and it breaks my heart. We lived in Charlotte for most of her childhood, too. I am sorry, sweet Zahra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always remembering you Sweet Angel. I think of you often. :blowkiss::rose:

Zahra was mentioned on another thread and I suddenly realized it has been over 3 yrs:(
Sweet little gal, with a precious smile and a sunny outlook...one of the very first cases I followed and it impacted me greatly.
RIP Dear girl...you are loved.

Weeping over her today.

You are loved and remembered, Sweet One! :gday:

So much time has passed since you were robbed of your existence. I want you to know that your life, and death, were not in vain. I think of you all the time; I grieve for the injustice of it all. Sweet, sweet Zahra, please know you're loved beyond measure, and you made a difference in so many lives including (and maybe most especially?) in those of people who never had the pleasure of meeting you during your stay on this earth. Rest easy, sweet child. :blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back