819 users online (125 members and 694 guests)  


Websleuths News

View Poll Results: Should McDonald's Shareholder Have Rejected or Accepted This Proposal?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rejected like they did already.

    24 80.00%
  • Accepted it.

    2 6.67%
  • Other opinion - Must make explanatory post

    1 3.33%
  • They should sell fried emu. It's Nutrious AND delicious.

    3 10.00%

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,559

    Smile McDonald's stockholders reject childhood obesity proposal

    http://www.mnn.com/money/sustainable...besity-proposa

    McDonald's stockholders reject childhood obesity proposal
    Shareholders resoundingly rejected a proposal that would have required it to issue a report outlining its role in the childhood obesity epidemic.
    By Debra Sherman, ReutersThu, May 19 2011 at 4:22 PM EST


    HAPPY MEALS: McDonald's has been a lightning rod for criticism for years over its marketing tactics and sales of Happy Meals for children that include toys as inducements. (Photo: Jeff Chiu/AP)

    OAK BROOK, Ill. - McDonald's Corp spurned calls to assess the impact of its food on childhood obesity, and said its trademark clown Ronald McDonald would be hawking Happy Meals to kids for years to come.

    "This is about choice and we believe in the democratic process," Chief Executive Jim Skinner told a packed room at its shareholders' meeting, to an enthusiastic wave of applause. "This is about the personal and individual right to choose."

    Shareholders of the world's largest fast-food chain resoundingly rejected a proposal that would have required it to issue a report outlining its role in the childhood obesity epidemic, saying customers were free to make their own dietary choices.


    Good for them! If you go to McDonald's expecting a meal that is nutritious and balanced then you've never been to one before. If you use it as an outlet for food on the run once in awhile or for a treat now and again there is nothing wrong with it. JMO

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,559
    This is from the article and it's pretty funny;

    ...Ironically, Miles White, chairman and chief executive of diversified healthcare company Abbott Laboratories, has been a director of the McDonald's board since 2009.

    Abbott makes a broad range of drugs, including cholesterol-lowering statins, and medical devices, such as heart stents used on patients with clogged arteries.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    http://www.mnn.com/money/sustainable...besity-proposa

    McDonald's stockholders reject childhood obesity proposal
    Shareholders resoundingly rejected a proposal that would have required it to issue a report outlining its role in the childhood obesity epidemic.
    By Debra Sherman, ReutersThu, May 19 2011 at 4:22 PM EST


    HAPPY MEALS: McDonald's has been a lightning rod for criticism for years over its marketing tactics and sales of Happy Meals for children that include toys as inducements. (Photo: Jeff Chiu/AP)

    OAK BROOK, Ill. - McDonald's Corp spurned calls to assess the impact of its food on childhood obesity, and said its trademark clown Ronald McDonald would be hawking Happy Meals to kids for years to come.

    "This is about choice and we believe in the democratic process," Chief Executive Jim Skinner told a packed room at its shareholders' meeting, to an enthusiastic wave of applause. "This is about the personal and individual right to choose."

    Shareholders of the world's largest fast-food chain resoundingly rejected a proposal that would have required it to issue a report outlining its role in the childhood obesity epidemic, saying customers were free to make their own dietary choices.


    Good for them! If you go to McDonald's expecting a meal that is nutritious and balanced then you've never been to one before. If you use it as an outlet for food on the run once in awhile or for a treat now and again there is nothing wrong with it. JMO
    I agree. It's time for adults to take responsibility for themselves and their children. It is only common sense that parents research the foods their children eat and make informed decisions based on the ingredient lists all food preparers MUST make available. If your child throws a fit because you choose not to feed them Mickey D's, it's no ones fault but your own that your children are allowed to act that way. This stuff is really getting old.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,862
    I have always let my daughter eat there, but she has water not pop, no bun or sauce on cheeseburgers, or I buy a toy with a salad...but after I saw how the chicken nuggets were made - it grossed me out enough that we never go there anymore.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Orlando View Post
    I agree. It's time for adults to take responsibility for themselves and their children. It is only common sense that parents research the foods their children eat and make informed decisions based on the ingredient lists all food preparers MUST make available. If your child throws a fit because you choose not to feed them Mickey D's, it's no ones fault but your own that your children are allowed to act that way. This stuff is really getting old.


    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie09 View Post
    I have always let my daughter eat there, but she has water not pop, no bun or sauce on cheeseburgers, or I buy a toy with a salad...but after I saw how the chicken nuggets were made - it grossed me out enough that we never go there anymore.
    There's a lot of foods that I'd prefer to not know too much about.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,086
    Hello, it's common name is "junk food"-- really, are its customers actually expecting anything else? My family hasn't eaten there in a couple of decades... it was gross before the toys, anyway. mo

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Why are Americans so quick to invoke the concept of personal responsibility when it comes to people and so quick to absolve corporations of all ethical obligations? (Even as our Supreme Court has ruled that corporations should have the rights of citizens. What about the obligations?)

    I think it's fine to talk about personal responsibility when it comes to adults, and, no, I wouldn't prevent adults who want to eat at McD's from doing so.

    But Happy Meals are directed toward children and most of our laws acknowledge that children are less able to make responsible decisions. If their parents are making bad choices on the behalf of children, it isn't enough to shrug and invoke the sacred words "personal responsibility." A study wouldn't in and of itself stop anyone from living on French fries and milk shakes, but it might serve to spread the word of just how bad a steady diet of McD's can be.

    We all (including McD's) have an obligation toward the world's children. And a study might help to further publicize the dangers of Happy Meals as a steady diet. Teaching children that meal time is an "entertainment" or "play" period has ramifications that go far beyond the dangers of eating Big Macs; it can influence diet choices for life.

    Just to be clear: I'm not a snob about fast food, though nowadays I tend more toward Subway. And I grew up eating at BK and McD's, too, though fast food was a once-a-week treat, not a staple in our diets.

    The decision to refuse to study the issue should be bad p.r. for McD's. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that decision will only affect those of us who already limit our Big Macs and McFlurries.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tara
    Posts
    2,754
    I just deleted my whole post, because I am aware of the TOS...I will continue to raise my child/children in my way...McDonald's can do whatever they want - It's a free country.
    Proud WS N-LIB

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,916
    "Teaching children that meal time is an "entertainment" or "play" period has ramifications that go far beyond the dangers of eating Big Macs; it can influence diet choices for life."

    I think the above is a huge issue. And I think a large part of the obesity problem is that our own food pyramid is hopelessly outdated and wrong. You know education is needed when people consider french fries a staple veggie.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    36,303
    I don't think McDonalds can be "forced" to give one crap about the health and wellbeing of their patrons. Should they? Sure, in a perfect utopian society. Will they? No, because we don't live in a perfect Utopia. We live in a capitalist society. Corporate America is not required to have a heart, it is contraindicated to their very purpose in existing - to make the biggest possible profit with the least amount of overhead. Would it be nice if they cared? Yes. Do I expect it to happen? No more than I expect monkeys to come flying out of my butt.

    Bottom line, I make the choices about what my kids eat, I make the choices about what they watch, play with, etc. I teach my children about foods and which are healthy choices. I am the filter. Is it shameful what has become of this nation and our eating habits? you betcha. Are WE the problem? Yes. McDonalds and all the rest could not make their lovely profits if we didn't allow it.

    I agree with SD. It is fine as a once in a while. For those parents who are taking their kids there three and four times a week, they have no right to be shocked if their kids are unhealthy. I feel it is a copout to be upset with McDonalds when their cars drove there, they ordered, they paid.

    In this day and age we are all aware of the damage a steady diet of McDonalds can do. Personal choices. Personal responsibility. They really do go hand in hand. You can't have one without the other
    Websleuths now on Facebook

    Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

    mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,862
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Why are Americans so quick to invoke the concept of personal responsibility when it comes to people and so quick to absolve corporations of all ethical obligations? (Even as our Supreme Court has ruled that corporations should have the rights of citizens. What about the obligations?)

    I think it's fine to talk about personal responsibility when it comes to adults, and, no, I wouldn't prevent adults who want to eat at McD's from doing so.

    But Happy Meals are directed toward children and most of our laws acknowledge that children are less able to make responsible decisions. If their parents are making bad choices on the behalf of children, it isn't enough to shrug and invoke the sacred words "personal responsibility." A study wouldn't in and of itself stop anyone from living on French fries and milk shakes, but it might serve to spread the word of just how bad a steady diet of McD's can be.

    We all (including McD's) have an obligation toward the world's children. And a study might help to further publicize the dangers of Happy Meals as a steady diet. Teaching children that meal time is an "entertainment" or "play" period has ramifications that go far beyond the dangers of eating Big Macs; it can influence diet choices for life.

    Just to be clear: I'm not a snob about fast food, though nowadays I tend more toward Subway. And I grew up eating at BK and McD's, too, though fast food was a once-a-week treat, not a staple in our diets.

    The decision to refuse to study the issue should be bad p.r. for McD's. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that decision will only affect those of us who already limit our Big Macs and McFlurries.
    Because it should be the market place causing McDonalds to change, not a study or legislation. If enough people use their personal responsibility and choose to not eat there with their children, it makes sense for them to change to more healthy options.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,195
    Pardon my ignorance but I thought I saw where McD's now offers healthier selections for their happy meals?


    Our teens only eat at McD's a couple times a year and only because that's about all they ever want to have it. They were taught that fast food is a treat not a meal. Like ice cream and candy and etc...that's the only reason I don't know.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Posts
    8,862
    The only thing healthier are apples dipped in preservatives and juice instead of pop.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,195
    LOL charlie. I really haven't paid attention to McD's

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    36,303
    I eat at least twice at McDonalds and three times a week at subway. When at MickeyDs I choose a salad. At subway, I go heavy on the veggies and skip the mayo.

    We are responsible for our food choices. Our decisions affect how our kids learn to make decisions. The power to solve the problem rests squarely with us.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

    Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

    mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-22-2013, 05:08 PM
  2. 63% Reject Darwin's Theory of Evolution
    By Dark Knight in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 03:26 PM