Thread: Teenage mother caught on tape trying to smother her baby

Teenage mother caught on tape trying to smother her baby

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to davehead21 For This Useful Post:

Omg!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to peeples For This Useful Post:

I just cant watch :
    "LIGHTING THE WAY HOME"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tfrohning For This Useful Post:

She was incredibly nonchalant. Other than seeming a little annoyed, she didn't show an ounce of emotion. Not even fear that someone might walk in and catch her. Unbelievable!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

she did it more than once! omg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LadyL For This Useful Post:

I have to wonder what this mother's intent was. Was she trying to kill the child or was she trying to gain attention by the child being in more distress? I'm so relieved that this was caught. That God for video cameras in hospitals.

Just a note. The comments under the video are vile. Try to ignore them, please. Here's an article with more details. It does indeed sound like she just wanted the baby gone.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...by_with_h.html

Thank heaven the little guy is in a foster home, instead of dead.

Note: Steel yourself to read her attorney's argument.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Now that was nauseating. WHY don't these mothers, especially very young ones, explore adoption? There are so many wonderful people out there who would give a child fabulous, loving families.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shgrbkr For This Useful Post:

OMG! Is it just me or does anyone else feel the hospital was complicit? They suspected the "mother" was abusing the child, installed video and she was still able to smother the child! WTH? That baby deserved to be protected 24/7

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Linda7NJ For This Useful Post:

that is how hospitals catch Münchausen syndrome. Then they can say there is nothing edically wronng with the baby - just remove the mother.

notice the worker walked in so it didn't go to far

"She's Going Places," A Tribute Song For Caylee Anthony
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLudQC0MBJU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHZ79InLGRY
    White Lion - When The Children Cry

Quote Originally Posted by *~Aimee~* View Post
    that is how hospitals catch Münchausen syndrome. Then they can say there is nothing edically wronng with the baby - just remove the mother.

With all due respect, 20 seconds plus 1 minute 14 seconds is 1 minute and 34 seconds of inhibited breathing. I can see setting the cameras up to catch her in the act if they already suspected that this is what was going on, but they had her after the first time, and the child was only subjected to 20 seconds of asphyxia. They then allowed the child to undergo another 1 minute and 14 seconds of this before they stopped it...If you ask me, it went way too far.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:

It didn't go far? He had to be resuscitated!!!

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Linda7NJ For This Useful Post:

OMG this poor baby, I couldn't help but cry when I watched this! I wish I could gather up all the unwanted, abused, neglected children and keep them safe.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MorenoI For This Useful Post:

How terrible.

Who do you call after you've just smothered your baby?

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:

she was just so nonchalant about it, at one point resting her own head on her hand, waiting for him to stop moving..........horrible!

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amandab For This Useful Post:

Defense attorney David Jones argued Scott did not cause any serious injuries to her son.

"She had no business having a baby at her age," he told the courtroom. "But what were the injuries? You didn't hear of any injuries."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...by_with_h.html
    Oh my... Something tells me if David Jones Esq were smothered until he had to be resuscitated, he would feel differently...

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LCoastMom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LCoastMom View Post
    Oh my... Something tells me if David Jones Esq were smothered until he had to be resuscitated, he would feel differently...

It's comments like this that always get me fantasizing about hoping in the car for a road trip...tracking him down & holding him down, smothering him just to see!

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linda7NJ For This Useful Post:

It went too far the baby was originally brought into the hospital not breathing. It went too far the baby stopped breathing again which is why the cameras were installed. It almost went too far a third time until a nurse walked in. It went too far a fourth time when the poor baby needed to be resucitated. The hospital states without those measures the baby would have died.

Throw mom in the slammer and throw the key away.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

It's quite clear to me that this isn't a case of MBP. I truly think this young woman had been gearing up to murder. I think that each time, she increased the length of time of the suffocation. Yes, the cameras are there to catch MBP and other forms of abuse but I can't imagine the nurses allowing this abuse to increase to this level of severity. If they were truly on the ball, a nurse or security guard would have been stationed at the door ready to burst in upon a signal from whomever was watching the camera. Who knows how many times this has been repeated. Poor little guy.

I, too, wish the mother would have considered birth control, exercising her right to terminate her pregnancy or adoption if she didn't want her child. The statement by the attorney is way out of line. Millions of wonderful and caring mothers are 18 at their children's birth. Heck, I was 19. I don't know what he means when he says she "had no business" having the child. Was she raped and prevented from making a choice? Those comments are a slap in the face for young mothers who love and protect their babies.

The sad reality is there are NOT families waiting to adopt children of color. How I wish. We currently have 400,000 waiting children in the US who have a plan of adoption. Sadly black males wait the longest. Very sad but true.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    With all due respect, 20 seconds plus 1 minute 14 seconds is 1 minute and 34 seconds of inhibited breathing. I can see setting the cameras up to catch her in the act if they already suspected that this is what was going on, but they had her after the first time, and the child was only subjected to 20 seconds of asphyxia. They then allowed the child to undergo another 1 minute and 14 seconds of this before they stopped it...If you ask me, it went way too far.
    I am guessing they were not monitoring the cameras at real time. Probably viewed it later after it had already happened.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Yes.. they were recording it. I doubt it was real time. They had no evidence, just a hunch. Heck, they actually operated on this child when there was probably nothing wrong with it but they didnt know that until they saw her in action for sure.

This chick is truly scary, I dont care her age. She actually looked BORED while smothering her own child. Like she was propping herself up on the bed rail and thinking, "Die already."

Glad to see this child was revived and made it and this monster will be in jail and hopefully wont be having anymore children.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to KindraLore For This Useful Post:

I didn't realize that the baby had had a prior operation. Is there any more information about past medical interventions?

ITA, about the mother's demeanor. She does look bored--not furtive or frenzied or even angry. Just bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    I didn't realize that the baby had had a prior operation. Is there any more information about past medical interventions?

ITA, about the mother's demeanor. She does look bored--not furtive or frenzied or even angry. Just bored.
    I believe it was mentioned in the news report (Video) posted at the beginning. It states at first the docs thought it was acid reflux and even did an operation on the baby, but then became suspicious when the baby stopped breathing once again and thats when they installed the video camera.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to KindraLore For This Useful Post:

I'm glad they caught her on video. Lock her up for many years. She is cold and unfeeling. This isn't Munchausen's syndrome. This is sociopathy IMO.

In rereading this thread, I'm wondering if the woman's crimes were recorded or actively monitored. If they were recorded, did the nurse just happen to walk in the room at a critical moment? If she did, that's either a huge coincidence or a miracle (or both).

I think the camera must have been monitored--possibly continuously at the nurse's station. If so, just how much abuse did the hospital expect the baby to endure? My guess is that most nurses don't bank on having to do this level of surveillance while in nursing school. I wonder if they are even trained in this skill or if it's left to a LEO. In a situation like this, you'd need someone with eyes glued to the monitor.

I do not believe the cameras were monitored in real time. The nurse likely walked in by coincidence. It would not be a huge coincidence because it's a hospital and presumably nurses would walk in and out all the time. Because after the nurse walked out, the mother did it again and for a longer time. Why didn't the nurse walk back in quickly if they were monitoring it in real time and for whatever reason decided one time was not enough? I just don't see the hospital allowing the mother to do it again if they saw her do it the first time anyway. The articles aren't clear on this, but this one implies they checked the video later, after the child already coded.

"Webb said that the doctor's suspicions were confirmed July 16 when a code alarm sounded, indicating that the boy's vital signs were failing. Medical personnel rushed in and revived the baby, but a check of the video showed Scott pressing a blanket, then her hand over the infant's face to block his breathing."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05...#ixzz1NPnPnb8Y

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05...-tried-to.html

46. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast