GUILTY MD - Yulia Pogrebenko, 54, Catonsville, 23 Feb 2011

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yulia Pogrebenko is known to have arrived at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York on February 23, 2011. She then rented a vehicle and drove to the Catonsville, Maryland, area. The car was later found in the Baltimore, Maryland, area, but Pogrebenko has not been located. At the time of her disappearance, she was traveling from her hometown of Irkutsk in Siberia to visit relatives in Maryland.

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/yulia-pogrebenko/view

image_thumb

Mysterious disappearance of Russian woman in US

In late February of this year 54 year old Yulia Pogrebenko arrived in New York’s JFK airport on a flight from Moscow. She had come to America for a week-long visit with her son, who lives outside Baltimore, Maryland. Yulia rented a car, a 2010 Chevy Malibu, and began her drive south on I-95 Corridor. When she was about an hour away from her son’s home, she called to let him know. No one has heard from her since. That was February, 23rd. Because Yulia is a Russian national, her family in America simply could not contact the local police in Maryland in regard to her disappearance.

[snip]

The FBI verified that Yulia’s return ticket had not been used. Her passport also registered no activity.

More: http://english.ruvr.ru/2011/05/23/50678841.html

BASIC TIMELINE

February 23
Arrives at JFK airport
Rents 2010 Chevy Malibu
Calls home when she is approximately an hour from Baltimore
Does not arrive home

Yulia reported missing to LE in Russia

March 1
Return ticket to Russia NOT used

March 23
Search opened by local (Russian?) police

FBI receives case "sometime in March"

May 12
Baltimore County Police notified

Vehicle found in Baltimore metro area, exact date unknown

http://washingtonexaminer.com/news/nation/2011/05/md-police-seek-help-finding-missing-russian-woman

I find it interesting her family in Russia reported her missing and not her relatives in Maryland?

It's so confusing. I couldn't determine if it was her family in Russia that reported it, or if it was her family in Maryland that reported it to Russian authorities. This (http://english.ruvr.ru/2011/05/23/50678841.html) makes me think it was her Maryland family:

Because Yulia is a Russian national, her family in America simply could not contact the local police in Maryland in regard to her disappearance. Valery Etnyukov, the representative of the Russian Interior Ministry in the United States explains why:

“The relatives of the missing Russian citizen Yulia Pogrebenko referred not to the embassy, but to the local police department in Russia, according to the general rules and practices.
Either way, the search was not initiated by Russian police until a month later. And the FBI didn't receive the case for at least a few weeks. Baltimore County PD didn't receive a report, because of the "process", until ELEVEN WEEKS LATER!

Mysterious case.
I know... international laws.. etc., but that's a long wait to get to the FBI.

From the news articles, she has been here before, they think she knew the route to her
son's home in Cantonsville, MD.
She calls when she is about 1 hour out of Baltimore. The trip is about
4 or 4 1/2 hrs long.

So:
My questions are:
What time was her flight, what time did she leave for Baltimore?
Was she traveling in the daytime or at night?
Did she stop for gas? How much gas was in the car when it was found?
Perhaps she stopped for a restroom break and a snack?
What kind of weather was it that day? It was Feb.

Did she have any medical problems? Did she take any medications?

Where was the car found?
In a parking lot, a motel, side of the road, headed in the direction of her
son's home, by the side of a river?
Was her purse and cell found in the car?

Did her family here search for her? Did they follow the route she would have taken?
Did they put up any missing persons fliers?

What kind of job did she have in Siberia?

There aren't very many answers out there on the internet.

I hope she is found. Soon.

I was going to guess that maybe Yulia didn't know the area as well as they thought, and maybe she took a wrong turn after getting gas or something. But if that's the case, I couldn't understand why her car would end up in Baltimore, which is only 15-20 mintues from the destination of Cantonsville.

I would also like to know where her car was found? Obviously somewhere that wouldn't lead to someone reporting it as suspicious for being there for 6 weeks to 2 months...

I can understand that there are certain "processes" that have to be taken care of for an international person going missing here. But, instead of ONLY reporting it to Russian authorities, why not ALSO report it to local LE, so THEY can contact Russian authorities and work together from there. Local LE didn't even get the report for ELEVEN WEEKS! It's hard to follow a trail or find evidence 11 weeks later.

Wonder why she did not just fly on to Baltimore? Could it be possible that it cost less to rent a car and pay for gas (@ over $4.00/gallon)?

snip
The skull was found by a man walking on Tolchester Beach in Kent County, not far from the Chesapeake Bay shoreline,

Hmmm I don't know if this could wash up from shore? if the skull did it could been from anywhere.

The Chesapeake Bay is the largest estuary in the United States. It is about 200 miles long. At the Bay Bridge near Annapolis, it is only 4 miles across, but it is 30 miles across at the widest point near the mouth of the Potomac River. The Bay watershed drains 64,000 square miles of land in six states- Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and New York and Washington, D.C. To give some idea of the size, the Bay watershed is about 5 times bigger than state of Maryland and 30 times larger than Delaware, yet it is only one-fourth the size of Texas!

Remains of Russian Woman Missing in U.S. Identified

U.S. investigators in Maryland have identified the remains of a Russian woman missing since February, Itar-Tass reported Thursday.

The remains of Yulia Pogrebenko, 54, a university professor from Irkutsk, were discovered this summer.

Read more: http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/...ng-in-us-identified/442669.html#ixzz1WLYl0JgF

Md. police: Missing Russian woman's body found

Authorities say the body of a Russian woman who disappeared in Maryland seven months ago has been found.

Baltimore County police said Thursday that the 54-year-old Yulia Pogrebenko of Irkutsk was found in the Chesapeake Bay June 19.

[snip]

The death has been classified as an undetermined death, and authorities are investigating the case.

More: http://online.wsj.com/article/APec75c0f9ebfe4e75bbd63dd677c0431f.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-death-police/2011/11/24/gIQA0lf5rN_blog.html

Posted at 09:34 AM ET, 11/24/2011
By the Associated Press

<snipped>
Dmitry Pronin, 26, is the suspect in the death of Yulia Pogrebenko, 54, of Irkutsk

In August, police announced that a body found in June by a boater south of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge had been identified as Pogrebenko, but her death was classified as undetermined at the time. Russian officials said they provided DNA samples to help identify the body.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Th original link no longer works, but I believe this is the same story.

http://www.stardem.com/news/local_news/article_7b8bc9d9-4602-5e45-b01f-40e5ebc6943d.html

Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 1:00 am |
Updated: 7:32 am, Fri Mar 16, 2012.
By TRISH MCGEE Staff Writer

TOLCHESTER What do a university professor from Russia and a remote stretch of beach near Tolchester have in common? Plenty, police have determined.

The human skull found last July on Tolchester Beach is that of Yulia Pogrebenko, according to Baltimore County Police Department spokesman Elise Armacost.

<snipped>
On July 20, the medical examiner ruled the death a homicide and noted that the victim had suffered trauma to the head. "The medical examiner's findings also stated that the victim's skull was consistent with a male," according to a July 20 MSP press release. A forensic doctor estimated the victim's death to have occurred sometime in 2011.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I believe this is the same case? Initially identified as male, but later determined it was Yulia Pogrebenko?

Yes, it would seem so.

The skull has since been identified as Pogrebenko, but initially Maryland State Police reported that the skeletal remains were that of a man who was murdered.

What does the university professor have to do with the case? Was Yulia Pogrebenko a university professor? The article doesn't say.

Yes, it would seem so.

What does the university professor have to do with the case? Was Yulia Pogrebenko a university professor? The article doesn't say.

Yes, she was Donjeta. In Russia.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back