Could a NG verdict forever change our system of justice?

Could a NG verdict forever change our system of justice?

• Yes, if she gets a NG verdict anyone could get off of anything with enough money

Votes: 53 27.3%
  • No, our system will survive even this.

Votes: 115 59.3%
  • I think she is innocent and hope she gets off

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Just don't know

Votes: 21 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

USARDOG

Reaction score
Mods please remove this thread if you feel it is not appropriate.

Watching what I could of the opening statement by JB, was like watching the OJ trial on steroids IMO. So my question is this...

Could a NG (Not Guilty) verdict forever change our system of justice? Could we as a Nation be forever change by the, "say anything, blame anyone, make up any outrageous lie and someone will buy it," defense?

This statement is attributed to Adolph Hitler:
If you make a lie big enough, and tell it often enough, people will believe it.

Is this what we have come to as a Nation? Have endless episodes of CSI left us unable to tell truth from fiction? What say you?

P.S. Thanks in advance for your input on this issue. :)

Perish the thought of a NG defense. Over the past three years, I've reviewed most of the documents in this case and I am thoroughly convinced of her guilt at this point. I can't see it going NG but IF it were to, YES we sorely need a change in our legal system. I blame this circus on the DT for creating it in the media (the Anthony's are not blameless either, but I'll cut them some slack since it appears they are now doing the right thing.) Thank G*d for the Sunshine Laws. We, the public, are entitled to an open policy. JMO

I didn't vote because I didn't see a 'hope so.' The problem isn't with the system, per se, but the individuals who misuse it. MOO

We'll survive but I have been personally invested in this case as an observer for a long time and it would be devastating to me to see a not guilty or even a hung jury.

I have doubts that the State would retry this case if there is a hung jury and will worry about that possibility every day until the verdict is read.

Baez would never make the mistake of throwing the whole pot of spaghetti against the wall a second time, and if more than one juror has reasonable doubt I just don't think they will retry the case. It is what it is, the state will present what they have and Florida is in a huge budget crisis.

I'm hoping that the State will bring it on home, but if a not guilty verdict is reached I will accept it as part of our system. It has its flaws but it's still the fairest system I know of.

Thanks for the interesting questions USARDog!

I don't think that it's so much episodes of CSI that leave some unable to distinguish fiction from reality. Although, I do think that mass media has had a detrimental affect on society. I see it as, we have become a society of enablers and tend to excuse many bad behaviors due to someone's circumstances rather than hold them accountable for their choices and actions.

I feel as a society as a whole, more emphasis is placed on a persons success rather than the quality of their character and moral values. No one seems to care about the path one takes to success, whether they lie cheat or steal, until there is a scandal and only then does there seem to be some outcry against the person or entity.

That is just a brief point of view from my little corner of the world.

If she's acquitted all it means to our justice system is that you can float any load of crap out there and at least one person will believe it. It's gonna give rise to all sorts of whacko defenses!

ALIENS DID IT!
ELVIS DID IT
etc!

When did logic and common sense fly out the window?

I didn't vote because I didn't know what to pick.

I feel that if she gets off, that will give all compulsive lying, murdering, sociopathic "unusual" people like her hope.
If there is a NG verdict, Casey wins again.. Casey has always won until Yuri Melich threw a monkey wrench in her game.
There's no way the DT can actually believe her lies. She needs to be stopped! People like her need to be put to death.
Before all this, I felt so sorry that Caylee never got to live her life.. Now I feel so much better that the little angel is someone better than with these "unusual" people

I thought you meant a Nancy Grace verdict----that would be "Guilty" for sure...

What's the likilhood the state would retry the case if it ended in a mistrial due to a hung jury? Doesn't the prosecution usually have an advantage in re-trials since they now are aware of the defense strategy?

If they want to say she killed the child with chloroform, they better have her on tape buying the components. Even her parents noticed the pool ladder was amiss... Casey handled this badly, shes probably mentally ill, but the State needs to prove with out a DOUBT that this was murder, and I really think the jury will see she covered up an accidental death. Maybe a disposal of a corpse charge, which she would have time served.jmo

baez did not find a jury of 12 +5 fools like he thinks he did. they will not acquit her.

Mods please remove this thread if you feel it is not appropriate.

Watching what I could of the opening statement by JB, was like watching the OJ trial on steroids IMO. So my question is this...

Could a NG verdict forever change our system of justice? Could we as a Nation be forever change by the, "say anything, blame anyone, make up any outrageous lie and someone will buy it," defense?

This statement is attributed to Adolph Hitler:
If you make a lie big enough, and tell it often enough, people will believe it.

Is this what we have come to as a Nation? Have endless episodes of CSI left us unable to tell truth from fiction? What say you?

P.S. Thanks in advance for your input on this issue. :)

I voted no, but was wondering what Nancy Grace had to do with this? Not Guilty. I get it now. :floorlaugh:

Yes, if she gets a NG verdict anyone could get off of anything with enough money

If the verdict is NG, I don't think it will have anything to do with money or status. Taxpayers are paying for Casey's defense and she's just an average 25-year-old, not someone who was a celebrity or political figure prior to Caylee's disappearance.

A NG verdict simply means the state couldn't build a case. Their evidence is all circumstantial. All JB has to do is influence a few jurors with reasonable doubt. How that happens is immaterial to him.

I do believe that there is a different justice for the rich and/or influentual, I just don't believe that would apply in this case.

One constructive thing that could be changed would be a mandatory gag order on any child murder case so that the defendants and their attorneys can't orchestrate another circus likethis one.. JMO

Yes, a NG verdict will be a new time of high profile cases in the justice system, but not for everyone else, especially minorities and males. This whole defense is gossip, circus, and media based. Not one thing really gives any proof that the Anthony family was dysfunctional except for the abuses heaped on them by their daughter. It's almost as if there's an excuse for everything in this society for some people, that psychopath/sociopath only applies to male serial killers, which some of them who have been wealthy have gotten away with murder, but it's always someone else's fault or the parents are to blame it seems. It's almost as if the whole society and legal system is narcissistic and becoming the normal way. Even the media keeps saying how dysfunctional the family was, but there is nothing of any proof being said, except for their reactions and defensiveness when Caylee went missing and a daughter was arrested.

I voted no, but was wondering what Nancy Grace had to do with this? Not Guilty. I get it now. :floorlaugh:

I'm glad it wasn't just me... :innocent:

Initials that stand for more than one thing really suck!

I've followed this since day 1, and believe she's guilty beyond reasonable doubt. But to a juror who hasn't had the time perspective, experienced all the lies from ICA and family, the absolute unbelievability of ICA--she may appear as a "victim" herself. She's a psychopath, with lawyers who will manufacture anything to get her off. Who knows what the jury will decide.

I also believe that people with money have a huge advantage in the justice system.

So glad I am not the only one !!!! Makes me feel much better :crazy:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back