Italy - Manslaughter: Failure of Seismologists to Predict Quake

STEADFAST

Reaction score
I know it seems like it maybe should go into bizarre news, but this is a real manslaughter charge and I guess there'll be a trial.

Italian government officials have accused the country's top seismologist of manslaughter, after failing to predict a natural disaster that struck Italy in 2009, a massive devastating earthquake that killed 308 people.

Enzo Boschi, the president of Italy's National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology (INGV), will face trial along with six other scientists and technicians, after failing to predict the future and the impending disaster.

um, okay?

Is Italy unaware this is not an exact science?

Hope Dr. Greg Forbes is watching, no one will want to try to predict any natural disaster again if this case goes anywhere.

um, okay?

Is Italy unaware this is not an exact science?

Hope Dr. Greg Forbes is watching, no one will want to try to predict any natural disaster again if this case goes anywhere.

Exactly. Talk about a detrimental effect on scientific research!

OMG there is something very wrong in Italy. [modsnip]. Shakes my head again

The judicial system in Italy is a joke. Sad thing is, I don't think their authorities have a clue how they look to the rest of the world. It really makes me think twice about going there as a tourist.

I don't fully understand international politics, but I wonder if the EU couild exert some subtle pressure on them to reform their system; it just seems broken.

Wow....just wow....I am flabbergasted at this.

I will be interesting to see how the prosecution in this case is going to prove that the science used in the study of volcanos and earthquakes is exact enough that accurate predictions are not only possible, but probable in this specific case.

http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-w...cientists-manslaughter-failing-predict-killer

L'AQUILA, Italy -- Defying assertions that earthquakes cannot be predicted, an Italian court convicted seven scientists and experts of manslaughter Monday for failing to adequately warn residents before a temblor struck central Italy in 2009 and killed more than 300 people.

The court in L'Aquila also sentenced the defendants to six years each in prison. All are members of the national Great Risks Commission, and several are prominent scientists or geological and disaster experts.

Scientists had decried the trial as ridiculous, contending that science has no reliable way of predicting earthquakes. So news of the verdict shook the tightknit community of earthquake experts worldwide.

''It's a sad day for science," said seismologist Susan Hough, of the U.S. Geological Survey in Pasadena. ''It's unsettling." That fellow seismic experts in Italy were singled out in the case ''hits you in the gut," Hough added.

In Italy, convictions aren't definitive until after at least one level of appeals, so it is unlikely any of the defendants would face jail immediately. .................

Defense lawyer Filippo Dinacci predicted that the L'Aquila court's verdict would have a chilling effect on officials tasked with protecting Italians in natural disasters. Public officials would be afraid to "do anything," Dinacci told reporters.

These days the Italian Renaissance seems so far, far away.

http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-w...cientists-manslaughter-failing-predict-killer

L'AQUILA, Italy -- Defying assertions that earthquakes cannot be predicted, an Italian court convicted seven scientists and experts of manslaughter Monday for failing to adequately warn residents before a temblor struck central Italy in 2009 and killed more than 300 people.

The court in L'Aquila also sentenced the defendants to six years each in prison. All are members of the national Great Risks Commission, and several are prominent scientists or geological and disaster experts.

Scientists had decried the trial as ridiculous, contending that science has no reliable way of predicting earthquakes. So news of the verdict shook the tightknit community of earthquake experts worldwide.

''It's a sad day for science," said seismologist Susan Hough, of the U.S. Geological Survey in Pasadena. ''It's unsettling." That fellow seismic experts in Italy were singled out in the case ''hits you in the gut," Hough added.

In Italy, convictions aren't definitive until after at least one level of appeals, so it is unlikely any of the defendants would face jail immediately. .................

Defense lawyer Filippo Dinacci predicted that the L'Aquila court's verdict would have a chilling effect on officials tasked with protecting Italians in natural disasters. Public officials would be afraid to "do anything," Dinacci told reporters.

WTH Italy? Their legal system really turned out to be a joke.

What next? Jail scientists for anything? My guess is that Italy will not have any seismologists working there and Italy will receive tremor information from outside of their country. Sad times for science.

Then I'm suing the weatherman for the Blizzard of '67 and the Mother's Day tornado in 1996.

Whiskey.
Tango.
Foxtrot.

??????????

The Italian Justice System- laughingstock of the world. Sadly, they don't seem to understand how they are viewed outside their country. [modsnip]?

The Italian Justice System- laughingstock of the world. Sadly, they don't seem to understand how they are viewed outside their country. [modsnip]

I just opened this thread to post that exact same thing, lol. Thanks for speaking my mind :)

Looks like the Myans knew enough to cover their backsides from the legalities. :D

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zorba347
Back