Bikers soon may go straight on red (Illinois)

Cubby

fly the W!
Reaction score
SPRINGFIELD | Motorcycle riders could go straight on red under a proposal rumbling through the General Assembly.

In action Wednesday, the Illinois Senate voted 43-12 in favor of allowing the driver of a motorcycle to proceed through a red light that fails to turn green within a "reasonable period of time."

Motorcycle rights groups say motorcycle riders can sometimes get stuck at a red light for several light cycles because the lighter weight of the two-wheel vehicles won't trigger sensors that cause stoplights to change at some intersections.

full article at link:

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/state-and-regional/illinois/f0453db0-d739-5cec-82e2-c100180c679f.html

I can't possibly see how this is considered 'sensible'. How will they determine a 'reasonable amount of time'? Why would it be difficult for a motorcyclist to turn right on the red? What about bikers who are impatient and decide to blow the light prior to a 'reasonable amount of time'? What about inclines which do not allow the driver on the green or the biker going straight on a red to make it safely across the intersection at posted speeds?

Why can't they adjust the sensors for motorcycle weights?
What about scooters? will they be included in this too?

Do motorcyclists get to go straight on Red in any other states?

Illinois is already a no helmut state.
This seems incredibly dangerous to me.

Thoughts?

yeah, this does not sound like a good idea to me. I see a lot more car/bike accidents in future if this goes through.

I agree. Very bad idea.

omg this is ridiculous

how about the bikers turn right and then find a way to turn around somewhere like I have to do in my car at long, never-changing lights here late at night? (some don't change until there's a car on the opposite side)

O/T: I just got slammed into by a car running a red 6 days ago so I'm a bit sensitive on the issue right now but if they tried to pass that here, I'd be down at the townhall voicing my opinion

That is already in place in CA. I ride streetbikes and have for years. They state "reasonable" amout of time. I have always heard others say "2 cycles". If your light does not turn after the entire 2nd cycle then please proceed in a careful manner. I usually try to scoot way up if it starts skipping so the car behind me can try to trigger it, but sometimes you gotta run it. Bikes in general are dangerous and each biker knows it and willingly continues to take risks every day.

That is already in place in CA. I ride streetbikes and have for years. They state "reasonable" amout of time. I have always heard others say "2 cycles". If your light does not turn after the entire 2nd cycle then please proceed in a careful manner. I usually try to scoot way up if it starts skipping so the car behind me can try to trigger it, but sometimes you gotta run it. Bikes in general are dangerous and each biker knows it and willingly continues to take risks every day.

Do be careful, miss u. I live just down I-10 from you and I had never heard of this law. I wouldn't have known to watch out for bikes stuck at lights.

Apparently, some posters are not aware that bicyclists can already do this in several states. Minnesota is one of them.

If a cyclist isn't heavy enough to trip a light, he/she cannot just sit there forever.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back