GUILTY Canada - James Hayward, 24, killed by GF's dad, Yorkton, SK, 17 March 2003

Snoopster

Reaction score
What would you do to save your child from a bad, poentially deadly, influence? Would you kill?

http://www.timescolonist.com/Editorial+Breaking+help+child/4853491/story.html

Walker had been heart-stricken when 15-year old Jadah took up with a drug dealer. The family made numerous attempts to break up the relationship, including hospitalizing the girl against her will on a mental health warrant.

But in small Prairie towns, money cab be hard to come by, and perhaps this man had plenty. Dazzled by his lifestyle, Jadah moved in with him on her sixteenth birthday.

It was a fateful decision. Her boyfriend injected her with morphine and other drugs 10 times a day, including at least once while she was asleep. During the six months she lived with him, the girl lost 18 kilograms and wasted away to “a living skeleton.”

That all came crashing to an end when her father went to the house with a handgun. There are conflicting accounts of who threatened whom, but no dispute about the outcome.

Kim Walker emptied his gun into the boyfriend, killing him. Then he called the police and surrendered.

All I know is that I am thankful that I never had to face that decision!

Wow! The link is to an editorial - not a news story - but it attempts to compare this case to a woman who covered up her son's involvement in a fatal hit-and-run.

No comparison at all IMHO. He was trying to save his daughter FROM evil, the mother tried to COVER UP evil.

What a very sad story. She was 16, stupid and probably in mortal danger. What parent wouldn't want to do everything in their power to fix that?

The mother who helped her kid cover up a fatal hit-and-run? No sympathy, whatsoever.

Here are some links to news articles about the story in question (the father was on trial for the second time).

Man apologizes for killing daughter's boyfriend; victim's brother won't forgivehttp://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gl47WizdGveyAhssy5dbLoIwYUow?docId=6979444

Dan Hayward said his brother wasn't a monster or a saint.

"He was a 24-year-old man with problems, someone that made mistakes, just as many other people do in life," he said. "He never got the chance to straighten his life out because Kim Walker stole that chance from him."

Walker was convicted of manslaughter Thursday after being tried for a second time in Hayward's death. The 24-year-old was shot several times in his home in Yorkton, Sask., in March 2003.

Dad guilty of manslaughter in death of daughter's boyfriend
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/guilty+manslaughter+death+daughter+boyfriend/4846332/story.html

The day of the death, Walker brought a 9-mm pistol to Hayward's home, where Jadah was living. Walker's lawyer told the jury he had brought the weapon for protection, as he had received several death threats from Hayward.

The court was told Walker fired 10 shots at Hayward after the younger man advanced on him with a raised fist, hitting him five times.

Walker testified during the trial telling the court, "(Hayward) said he would make Jadah disappear . . . I believed he would kill her." Walker said he could not remember "much after that."

He also stated at trial how Jadah had become "skin and bones" and spoke of Hayward's reputation as a dealer and heavy user of drugs

Simply sad all around. :(

Sounds like this guy has some severe problems and should be locked up forever. So what happens when he doesn't like his daughter's boss or teachers? I cannot believe they reduced this to manslaughter, the victim was unarmed and the girl made her own choices.

Sounds like this guy has some severe problems and should be locked up forever. So what happens when he doesn't like his daughter's boss or teachers? I cannot believe they reduced this to manslaughter, the victim was unarmed and the girl made her own choices.

A man who shacks up with a 16 year old teenage girl is hardly the same thing as a boss or teacher. Do I agree with him killing the young man no but I dont think he had severe problems either. I think he was a father that at the time made a bad judgement thought he was doing what he had to do to protect his daughter.

the victim's brother & mother say he was a wonderful person ... ok, he injected a 15/16 year-old girl with drugs, even once while she was asleep (!) ... she lost 40 lbs. while she was with him ... he threatened her life and that of her family

that's not 'problems', that's illegal and dangerous and disgusting

I can totally understand the father's frustration after the police wouldn't help him & all his other attempts to save his daughterl however, the father should not have brought a gun with him and needs to pay his debt ...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/prairies/sask-father-guilty-of-manslaughter-in-death-of-daughters-boyfriend/article2036863/?utm_medium=Feeds%3A%20RSS%2FAtom&utm_source=National&utm_content=2036863

"James spent his last Christmas with the Walker family, with the man who murdered him. This will always haunt me," said Lorrie Getty.

Okay so the father presumably had the 24 year old come over for Christmas while he as "dating" the 15 year old daughter?

That means the family accepted the relationship, then later decided it wasn't okay. The boyfriend wasn't some "stranger" that just came and took the daughter away, he apparently knew the family and there was a relationship. I think that does change things.

All four of my children (ages 16-31) know - without a doubt - that should they choose to involve themselves in ANY type of illegal activity, that their Mama will be the first to rat them out to LE.

One of my kids was pinched for underage drinking in college. I let her sit in jail all weekend so she's know what it was like. Monday morning (when they let the kids from the weekend out - I did NOT post bail) she was out at 7 and I made sure she was in class at 8. She paid her own fine.

Guess what? She's now a responsible, gainfully employed college graduate. With a story to tell.

I was just reading something about sex trafficking...

And this father felt like a complete failure, so he did what he did knowing he'd have to pay for it, and he will pay his debt. I hope he comes out OK. I'm glad they reduced it to manslaughter. It's just very sad.

I completely agree, murder will not solve his problems, what happens next time his daughter picks another boyfriend he thinks is unsuitable

There are a lot of great comments here that have made me think.

I am against violence (as you might have guessed by my signature quote) however the one situation where I could see myself hurting another is if they were threatening to kill an innocent/helpless person (including my children, obviously!) Could I actually kill someone in this circumstance? I'm not really sure....but if it were an extreme do or die situation, I'm a pretty tough cookie, so I'm guessing I could. I don't think that this particular case applies though. I would find other means to hopefully resolve the problem. I would call every media outlet that I could find. I would hound social services and law enforcement. Whatever it took...I would do it. I think Mr. Walker went too far. I do have some empathy for him though.

As a side note, I am surprised that Mr. Walker had a handgun. I think it's pretty rare for Canadians to own handguns. Those that are not restricted must be registered, and, it's just not a part of our culture. (O.K., perhaps I am naive! But, I don't think I know a single person who owns one. Although, many Canadians, particularly in rural areas, own rifles, for hunting or farming-related purposes.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back