Stay away from energy drinks, doctors say

Dark Knight

Reaction score
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) – In a new report, a large group of American doctors urge kids and teens to avoid energy drinks and only consume sports drinks in limited amount.

The recommendations come in the wake of a national debate over energy drinks, which experts fear may have side effects.

"Children never need energy drinks," said Dr. Holly Benjamin, of the American Academy of Pediatrics, who worked on the new report. "They contain caffeine and other stimulant substances that aren't nutritional, so you don't need them."

Much more at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110530/hl_nm/us_energy_drinks

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) – In a new report, a large group of American doctors urge kids and teens to avoid energy drinks and only consume sports drinks in limited amount.

The recommendations come in the wake of a national debate over energy drinks, which experts fear may have side effects.

"Children never need energy drinks," said Dr. Holly Benjamin, of the American Academy of Pediatrics, who worked on the new report. "They contain caffeine and other stimulant substances that aren't nutritional, so you don't need them."

Much more at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110530/hl_nm/us_energy_drinks

I wonder if this includes those energy shots DK? I know someone who drinks them every two days and I often wonder if it is in their mind if it really gives one energy or not? I can't help but think they are dangerous too. My friend swears he gets energy when he drinks the little shot bottles but I feel it is a money making scheme.. I do not know but don't trust them.

Goz

I wonder if this includes those energy shots DK? I know someone who drinks them every two days and I often wonder if it is in their mind if it really gives one energy or not? I can't help but think they are dangerous too. My friend swears he gets energy when he drinks the little shot bottles but I feel it is a money making scheme.. I do not know but don't trust them.

Goz

Yes, it seems to include all energy drinks. It's funny how some energy drinks are HUMONGOUS and some are tiny little shots.

I drank and energy drink once. ONCE.

When I got my first job I couldn't sleep the night before, so when I got there a little early I decided to buy one (I think it was monster), and it wasn't a good idea. 1.) It tasted like crap. 2.) I only had about 1 quarter of the can, and it made me twitch. 3.) I felt 'awake' sure, but it was more like my head was buzzing sort of. I felt strange, like everything was surreal.
4.) I am surprised I wasn't fired for possibly being on drugs.

I remember drinking red bull one time and it gave me such an asthma attack, I had to be rushed to the emergency room. The doctors said it was probably the red dye they use. When I called the company to complain they hung up on me. I have never drank it again.

I remember drinking red bull one time and it gave me such an asthma attack, I had to be rushed to the emergency room. The doctors said it was probably the red dye they use. When I called the company to complain they hung up on me. I have never drank it again.

You should have sent them a letter threatening legal action.

It would take a class action suit to win against a corporation like that.

Which is what they'd want to avoid, so sometimes a threat is enough to get them to take you seriously, especially since they hung up on you.

I used to drink Monster drinks and after about 2 hours after drinking it I couldn't stay awake. Too much of a sugar rush and then a big time crash. I can't drink them anymore because I can't sleep at work. lol

My son (24) drinks them-- I worry about his kidneys, they seem so full of stuff that could crystallize. I can't even stand the smell of them. Heh, I'm all for a caffeine buzz, but I stick with my french roast.

My idea of an energy drink is a Starbucks Frap, hazelnut, with an extra shot of espresso. I can't even drink Moutain Dew - too much for me. And I drink a lot of water every day, too...close to three liters. So I flush out the caffiene fairly quickly.

Although, coffee-caffeine I like, the rest can stay in their cans. Ahem.

Best-
Herding Cats

My idea of an energy drink is a Starbucks Frap, hazelnut, with an extra shot of espresso. I can't even drink Moutain Dew - too much for me.

BBM-What you're drinking has far more caffeine that Mountain Dew does, lol. Dew only has about 66mg of caffeine, I bet your coffee drink is between 100-200mg. Maybe something else in it bothers you?

Much of the sports drinks have something which gets me, and so does Mountain Dew...I feel like I'm buzzing all over the place, like a confused fly. It's decidedly not pretty. LOL.

I do doctor my water with electrolyte powders, so it's not that...but there's something in the Dew and other sports/energy drinks which really twists me around.

I'll just stick to my coffee...and only when I need it do I get the extra shot. Not something I do regularly...just when I can't find any energy, and have to get stuff done, you know?

Best-
Herding Cats

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
0maj0