School attempts to kibosh "Cross Dressing Day"

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
There were guys in chiffon skirts, brassieres and fitted sweaters, and gals with painted-on mustaches at Hastings High School yesterday despite official efforts to put the kibosh on "Cross-Dressing Day."

As part of Spirit Week, students had already celebrated Pajama Day, '80s Day and Dress to Impress Day. Then educators saw yesterday's provocative theme promoted in posters around the school and asked student government leaders to announce an alternative: "New York Pride Day."

About two dozen high-schoolers refused to wear Yankees shirts, however, instead borrowing each other's clothing and going to class.

As they spotted them, administrators asked students to change. An assistant principal even drove one boy home so he could put on a different attire. The students' garb was distracting to education and disrespectful to transgender people, school officials said.

Cross-dressing students said their freedom of expression was violated and that the prohibition sent the wrong message to transgender students who may want to cross-dress regularly.

A liaison to the gay and transgender community said there is "a fine line" between personal expression and parody.

Students insisted their intentions were respectable and that stepping over the line could result in meaningful discussions about gender issues.

"We're concerned that people are not encouraged to express themselves," said Sonya Rifkin, co-president of the Gay-Straight Alliance, sporting a handlebar mustache. "In this microcosm of society, this tiny suburban high school, that people are willing to come out and say, 'this is important, this is an issue, these gender boundaries that people aren't talking enough about' — and the fact that there was a football player wearing a girl's cheerleading T-shirt — that says something to me."

Josh McConchie, 16, who wore a pink skirt and high tops, said that "certain students in the school feel it's derogatory towards gays or cross-dressers because they feel we're making fun of them, but actually we're trying to make them fit in." He said he also cross-dressed the past two years during Spirit Week, and it was never an issue.

Full Story

It's days like this and wearing pajamas to school day that have sent so many people into home schooling, not to mention the outrageously shoddy level of learning to start with.

I think schools have no business with gimmicks like this. It's vulgar and has nothing to do with learning. If I were Queen I would order all schools to have UNIFORMS and dress codes!!! Absolutely!!

What makes these kids think that they HAVE freedom of expression while on school campuses? I think kids should have to wear uniforms to school.

I went to Catholic School and we had uniforms. If anything was not right the Nuns would be all over us ~ actually sending us home or calling our parents.. it was very strict.

Every few months though we had a theme day - like denim, or at halloween you could wear a costume, or red and white day (for Canada) - cross dressing is a bit much though.

They do pajama day at my daughters school once in a while - I don't mind it, they also do crazy hat day or crazy hair day etc.. I don't have a problem with any of it.

My kids school does some of that as well. On Thanksgiving the parents bring in all sorts of food and the kids dress up as pilgrims or indians. They have pajama day (only for K-3rd grade though). If they want to wear a hat, they're allowed to do so, but only on Fridays and they have to pay 50 cents. The money is used for field trips, etc.

For my family, its really not a big deal to take my kids school shopping. Since my parents didn't have a lot of money while I was growing up, we were only allowed a few new things during back to school shopping. So, my kids are lucky that we're able to buy them basically whatever they want. I shop for them about three times a year. They're really good about taking their old clothes and shoes to a charity nearby. There are a lot of parents, however, who simply can't afford to keep their kids in the latest styles. These kids get picked on a lot at school. Maybe if they all had uniforms, it would even the playing field a bit socially.

I am a substitute teacher. I have worked in many districts, and many schools within each district. The schools where the students wear uniforms have far superior behavior. It's the difference between night and day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back