Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55

Thread: Steph Watts last-minute defense witness

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,321

    Steph Watts last-minute defense witness

    Well this looks sleazy. JB trying to impugn CA's claim about the pool ladder on cross regarding her meeting with Mark Fuhrman and Steve Watts.

    He needs an extra day to prepare for a witness that has been on the SA list forever but he can spring this on them?

    Does anybody think his testimony will even count?

    --------------------------------------

    Anthony's defense team has added journalist, blogger and TV personality Stephen Watts to its defense list, court records show.

    http://www.wesh.com/r/28083833/detail.html
    Last edited by panthera; 05-31-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: corrected name in thread title
    "Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" - Voltaire

  2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to cecybeans For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,560
    It's Steph Watts, isn't it?

    aha, ignore, didn't realise his full name was Stephen (LOL those media types)

    I like Steph but I don't think his testimony is going to count. I could probably go back through all his blog talk radio shows and try and find if/when he ever said that about the ladder.

  4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to darnudes For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Somerset Ohio
    Posts
    1,013
    Quote Originally Posted by darnudes View Post
    It's Steph Watts, isn't it?

    aha, ignore, didn't realise his full name was Stephen (LOL those media types)

    I like Steph but I don't think his testimony is going to count. I could probably go back through all his blog talk radio shows and try and find if/when he ever said that about the ladder.
    I read Mark's book Murder Business he talked about sitting down with them now I can't find the darn book for reference

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,485
    Thanks beans.. JB better have something good cuz he is already lookin like a DUM-DUM. He needs a rope to git outta the hole he has dug---he better hope Watts isnt just a bigger shovel
    GA: "...I mean I’m not a stupid guy...”
    Det. Hussey: “I think you’re, I think you’re a guy that knows a lot about a lot of things, George.”
    (LE interview 8-4-08)


    "THE MAN OF THE HOUR"
    4/2/09 Jose B.
    "I'm Sorry??? What Law School did you go to Kathy???"


  7. #5
    Insomnia Momma's Avatar
    Insomnia Momma is online now If not supported by a link it's just what I think!
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,015
    I think it's going to come too little and too late. Once the SA's are done presenting their case and JB finally is able to even call witnesses he's going to fall flat IMO! He doesn't even have anyone besides Watts to call for the DT does he? I think he is just mostly recalling the states wittnesses, he even lost most of his forensic people!

    IMO by the time he even gets around to calling him the jury will already have ICA halfway down the hall to the death chamber.
    Caylee - WE will NEVER forget. Neither will Karma.

  8. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Insomnia Momma For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Insomnia Momma View Post
    I think it's going to come too little and too late. Once the SA's are done presenting their case and JB finally is able to even call witnesses he's going to fall flat IMO! He doesn't even have anyone besides Watts to call for the DT does he? I think he is just mostly recalling the states wittnesses, he even lost most of his forensic people!

    IMO by the time he even gets around to calling him the jury will already have ICA halfway down the hall to the death chamber.
    Isn't he kind of screwed anyway when most of the science was to prove it wasn't a dead body in the car when he admits that Caylee was really dead at that time. Does he think the jury won't figure out that isn't a coincidence?

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DairyGirl For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Insomnia Momma View Post
    I think it's going to come too little and too late. Once the SA's are done presenting their case and JB finally is able to even call witnesses he's going to fall flat IMO! He doesn't even have anyone besides Watts to call for the DT does he? I think he is just mostly recalling the states wittnesses, he even lost most of his forensic people!

    IMO by the time he even gets around to calling him the jury will already have ICA halfway down the hall to the death chamber.
    I really hope he falls flat but my fear is his sensationalism (can we say The Jose Baez Entertainment Show?). He puts so much stuff out there in such an alarming way he throws the average person for a loop.

    I have listened to many opening statements, reported on them on TV, Radio and print. I am forever taking notes on key points but his opening statements had me reeling, it was information, albiet hideous, overload. I actually had to go and transcribe his whole speech just to ensure I got everything. (On that note Kronk still makes no sense.

    My other concern is him being the last thing that people remember, all this bricklaying by the state is incredible, but for someone sitting there for 6-8 weeks not being able to talk about it at all, I think it will be forgetable (excepting today). These people have to take in the information ONCE. I have read most things over and over ...

    It is early but Baez BS scares me.

    I do want a first in this case: I want Casey Anthony to be the first mother accused of killing her child to get the death penalty. There's always a first. It's time for a first.
    ^^^^ everything up there is Moo

    I Still Call Australia Home

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to GutFeeling! For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Left Coast USA
    Posts
    6,257
    I believe his name is Steph as in the pronunciation, "Steff". I don't think it matters what Cindy might have told him. Afterall, just because he worked for FoxNews at the time, it doesn't make him more credible than anyone else. imo.

    The story about the ladder has been repeated enough to enough people, that it just is a moot point, imo. And, it was told to the police early on, I think. Long before Steph and Mark intruded.

    Cindy found the ladder moved, and the side gate unlocked. Probably on the night of June 16th. The day that Casey returned to the house and drowned little Caylee in the pool, and then took her out the side gate to get to the side door into the garage and put her in Casey's car.

    Didn't want to get water throughout the house, so went the quick way. Then she left with Caylee in the back of her car. No one saw her. I think the "packaging" came later.

    But what Steph says won't matter.

    I think Casey just plain drowned her, held her head underwater long enough to kill her. I really don't think chloroform was involved. JMO.

  14. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to i.b.nora For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,083
    Quote Originally Posted by i.b.nora View Post
    I believe his name is Steph as in the pronunciation, "Steff". I don't think it matters what Cindy might have told him. Afterall, just because he worked for FoxNews at the time, it doesn't make him more credible than anyone else. imo.

    The story about the ladder has been repeated enough to enough people, that it just is a moot point, imo. And, it was told to the police early on, I think. Long before Steph and Mark intruded.

    Cindy found the ladder moved, and the side gate unlocked. Probably on the night of June 16th. The day that Casey returned to the house and drowned little Caylee in the pool, and then took her out the side gate to get to the side door into the garage and put her in Casey's car.

    Didn't want to get water throughout the house, so went the quick way. Then she left with Caylee in the back of her car. No one saw her. I think the "packaging" came later.

    But what Steph says won't matter.

    I think Casey just plain drowned her, held her head underwater long enough to kill her. I really don't think chloroform was involved. JMO.
    That would mean neighbors could have seen or heard the drowning though. Would she take that chance? Maybe chloroform, tape in the house, then put her in the laundry bag and into the pool? Then she wouldn't see the entire death without the cover of the laundry bag (or some concealment) I don't know, just thinking out loud...

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phoebeb For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43,448
    This is where Baez is getting it.

    http://stephww.wordpress.com/2011/05...ney-jose-baez/


  18. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    10,480
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaj View Post
    So he has a judge recused for reading blogs and now he's calling a blogger for his defense?

  19. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to strawberry For This Useful Post:


  20. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    783
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    So he has a judge recused for reading blogs and now he's calling a blogger for his defense?
    You can list whomever you want as a witness, but getting a subpoena issued for an out of state witness is next to impossible. Unless Steph Watts voluntarily decides to appear, we will not be seeing him.
    My blog: Florida Law and the Criminal Justice System
    My site: Law Office of Richard Hornsby, Criminal Defense Lawyer
    “The only real lawyers are trial lawyers, and trial lawyers try cases to juries.” - Clarence Darrow


  21. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,006
    Quote Originally Posted by rhornsby View Post
    You can list whomever you want as a witness, but getting a subpoena issued for an out of state witness is next to impossible. Unless Steph Watts voluntarily decides to appear, we will not be seeing him.
    What about someone a cruise ship?

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Bittiness39 For This Useful Post:


  23. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaj View Post
    Steph claims she told him she left it down the day after Fathers day, that would make it the evening of the 16th not the morning as Jose stated in opening statements. Someone needs to get their dates straight.

    It was an above ground pool, and Cindy commented, in detail that she remembers that she had left the ladder down the dy after Fathers Day.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brattigirle For This Useful Post:


  25. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    424
    Mark Fuhrman wrote in his book "The Murder Business", that Cindy saw the ladder on Monday.

    http://books.google.com/books?id=RBX...page&q&f=false

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to cherishtoo For This Useful Post:


  27. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    2,256
    There seems to be two different accounts of what Cindy actually said about the ladder.

    From Steph Watts blog, May 24th, 2011:

    Steph Watts - But here’s what strange. I remember being in the house shortly after this story broke, myself and Mark Fuhrman. George and Cindy were taking us on a detailed tour of the house including the backyard where they let very few, other reporters in. They showed us the towering bamboo, the shed that investigators had moved, the gates and 3 other sheds that George says were always locked and most importantly the pool. It was an above ground pool, and Cindy commented, in detail that she remembers that she had left the ladder down the dy after Fathers Day. She was very clear about this as she stated that she always left the ladder up, so Caylee couldn’t get up it but she remembered that day that she forgot, and had left it down.

    http://stephww.wordpress.com/


    On the Record w/Greta - "Behind the CSI Return to Caylee's Grandparents House" 08/06/2008:

    VAN SUSTEREN: All right. Now, the business about the -- there's a pool in the back yard, and there's something about the ladder connected to the pool. And in fact, if you can just stand over on -- I've actually got a picture, so you can explain the significance of new information on the ladder and the pool in the back yard. What is the story on this ladder?

    MARK FUHRMAN, FMR LAPD HOMICIDE DETECTIVE
    : Well, it's interesting. You know, the grandparents are telling me that on the 16th, when Casey and Caylee are leaving that morning at 12:50 -- the previous night, Cynthia, the grandmother, and Casey swam in the pool. After they were done, they take me ladder, which snaps off, and then they take the ladder away from the pool so Caylee can't climb up it by herself. Now, nobody swam in the pool after that night on Sunday. Nobody swam there on Monday. And then Tuesday morning, they noticed that the ladder was back up on the pool, hooked up, and the gate on the side of the house was open. So it's interesting information considering the activity that preceded -- you know, preceded that on the day before.

    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,399183,00.html



  28. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
    There seems to be two different accounts of what Cindy actually said about the ladder.

    From Steph Watts blog, May 24th, 2011:

    Steph Watts - But here’s what strange. I remember being in the house shortly after this story broke, myself and Mark Fuhrman. George and Cindy were taking us on a detailed tour of the house including the backyard where they let very few, other reporters in. They showed us the towering bamboo, the shed that investigators had moved, the gates and 3 other sheds that George says were always locked and most importantly the pool. It was an above ground pool, and Cindy commented, in detail that she remembers that she had left the ladder down the dy after Fathers Day. She was very clear about this as she stated that she always left the ladder up, so Caylee couldn’t get up it but she remembered that day that she forgot, and had left it down.

    http://stephww.wordpress.com/


    On the Record w/Greta - "Behind the CSI Return to Caylee's Grandparents House" 08/06/2008:

    VAN SUSTEREN: All right. Now, the business about the -- there's a pool in the back yard, and there's something about the ladder connected to the pool. And in fact, if you can just stand over on -- I've actually got a picture, so you can explain the significance of new information on the ladder and the pool in the back yard. What is the story on this ladder?

    MARK FUHRMAN, FMR LAPD HOMICIDE DETECTIVE
    : Well, it's interesting. You know, the grandparents are telling me that on the 16th, when Casey and Caylee are leaving that morning at 12:50 -- the previous night, Cynthia, the grandmother, and Casey swam in the pool. After they were done, they take me ladder, which snaps off, and then they take the ladder away from the pool so Caylee can't climb up it by herself. Now, nobody swam in the pool after that night on Sunday. Nobody swam there on Monday. And then Tuesday morning, they noticed that the ladder was back up on the pool, hooked up, and the gate on the side of the house was open. So it's interesting information considering the activity that preceded -- you know, preceded that on the day before.

    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,399183,00.html
    I note that JB kept referring to the pool ladder being up on the pool (connected) on Monday, June 16th. But, according to what Steph Watts posted in the above article it was Tuesday.

    In his opening statement JB stated that Caylee drowned in the pool on Monday, June 16th. But what Steph Watts says doesn't conform to JB's theory.
    My posts are my opinion..........




  29. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Leila View Post
    I note that JB kept referring to the pool ladder being up on the pool (connected) on Monday, June 16th. But, according to what Steph Watts posted in the above article it was Tuesday.

    In his opening statement JB stated that Caylee drowned in the pool on Monday, June 16th. But what Steph Watts says doesn't conform to JB's theory.
    SW says that CA left the pool ladder down the day after Father's Day (his interpetation was that she left it where Caylee could access the pool). That would be on Monday, June 16th, the same thing Baez states. It was Mark Fuhrman who said CA told him the pool ladder was connected to the pool on Tuesday the 17th.


  30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Marina2 For This Useful Post:


  31. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43,448
    The problem I see with this alleged remembrance is the up and down. Steph is saying that the ladder when in the safety position is up. Some pools have a pool ladder that locks up.

    Cindy said the ladder actually disconnected.


  32. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaj View Post
    The problem I see with this alleged remembrance is the up and down. Steph is saying that the ladder when in the safety position is up. Some pools have a pool ladder that locks up.

    Cindy said the ladder actually disconnected.
    Yes, Cindy said to SW that she left the ladder down. To me this means down on the ground and not up on the pool. I think SW misinterpeted her meaning of "down" and thought she was saying that she forgot to take the ladder away from the pool.



  33. #21
    mikeysmommom's Avatar
    mikeysmommom is offline "A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty...."
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    4,603
    ~~Per JB's words not mine Isn't he`just a no life blogger?`
    ETA Isn't that hearsay?`
    I Love You MOM 6/16/32 - 5/30/09





    Justice for Travis 5/8/13

    Justice For Emma
    Stacey Barker - Guilty - Murder 1 - 5/24/11
    25 to Life - Sentenced 6/17/11

    Justice Denied for Caylee Marie Anthony
    July 5,2011

  34. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mikeysmommom For This Useful Post:


  35. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In the sunshine.
    Posts
    9,882
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeysmommom View Post
    ~~Per JB's words not mine Isn't he`just a no life blogger?`
    ETA Isn't that hearsay?`
    Oh....there are lots of no life bloggers according to the DT. Some serve a purpose (like getting a Judge to recuse himself)....some give the DT ideas (hmmmmmmmmmmm)...some praise JB's choice of pocket accoutrements.....

    It's all about self serving scenarios.


  36. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Left Coast USA
    Posts
    6,257
    We know the ladder disconnected because we saw pictures of it at the time, in those Greta interviews. I think we saw it in the place where they put it when it wasn't being used with the pool. It was away and near the house, as I recall.

  37. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to i.b.nora For This Useful Post:


  38. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    2,256
    MF and SW are obviously talking about the same visit to the Anthony's house. They went together and CA talked to them at the same time but they came away with two different versions. MF's version was documented way back in Aug. 2008. Either SW misinterpeted what CA was saying that day or his memory is off. CA says the ladder was up on the pool on the 17th and MF states that's what she told him in Aug., 2008


  39. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Marina2 For This Useful Post:


  40. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43,448
    The State will be able to poke so much doubt into this. Unless Steph can prove that he said this in August 2008 this up and down is so much different than the disconnect the bottom steps of the pool that everyone has heard right along. Baez is grasping.


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hornsby on Steph Watts
    By Blaise in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-16-2010, 09:43 PM
  2. 2010.08.08 Steph Watts program, any thoughts?
    By Khaki_Pants in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 08-12-2010, 03:24 PM
  3. 2010.05.16 Richard Hornsby on Steph Watts
    By Blaise in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-18-2010, 01:26 AM
  4. 2010-04-18 Steph Watts Radio Show tonight.
    By grandmaj in forum Haleigh Cummings
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 04-19-2010, 07:52 PM
  5. The Steph Watts Show 3/28/2010
    By grandmaj in forum Haleigh Cummings
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 09:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •