A Tiny House: Could You Live Here?

Wow I wish I could but I could never part with all of my pets. I doubt all of us would even fit in that amount of space. I'm used to my wide open spaces but agree that it is very admirable to be able to do that. :)

I wish I did live there-how easy it would be to care for. My house is old, needs work, depresses me to look around at the rooms, so much to be done...all I want is a nice clean apartment or little bitty house, as long as I can bring my kitty cat (oh and husband.)

I wish I did live there-how easy it would be to care for. My house is old, needs work, depresses me to look around at the rooms, so much to be done...all I want is a nice clean apartment or little bitty house, as long as I can bring my kitty cat (oh and husband.)

(oh and husband) lol :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

I've lived in smaller campers for extended periods of time, so I think I could do it again. However, the DH could not. :D

I lived in a 5000 sq. ft. house for 15 years with my husband. We raised 14 children there. We had three living rooms, a 20 x 20 ft. dining room, 7 bedrooms, 4 baths, 2 laundries, 2 offices, mudroom, play room, a pantry the size of most living rooms and huge central hall. Our professional stove was close to the size of a Buick. We designed and built it ourselves and it was built in true Craftsman style as my husband builds "period appropriate" homes. It wasn't a derivative style, it actually had the plaster walls and all the vintage fittings. I still remember the day it was "officially" finished. A light went on in my head and it hit me, "Heckola, I've gotta clean this thing!!" Obviously 16 people needed a large home but my goodness, we spent so much time on just running a cleaning crew. We had hardwood floors and Marmoleum and it used to take my husband (I did NOT do floors) a good six hours to sweep and mop the floors once each week. I still remember that there were 59 doors and 76 windows. All needed cleaning. No more....

I've spent the last 8 months alone in a motorhome in the woods. It's 26 ft. long and has about 25 sq. ft. of space where one can walk. The rest is taken up with a large bed and a table and two small benches. My storage cubbies are full of my precious books, yarn, French magazines, and art supplies. I live here alone (due to my seizures as I needed total quiet) except for 5 little rescue dogs. My husband comes out once a week to change my bed and clean and it takes him about 30 minutes. I LOVE IT!! It's my cozy nest. We sit in here and talk and have a glass of wine and it's absolutely perfect.

In about two weeks I move into a newly built and tremendously pretty cottage which was built specifically for me by my husband (a true labor of love). It has 450 sq. ft. and seems humongous!! I'm actually a little worried about the size. My sweetie keeps telling me I'll deal. Plus I get a kitten out it. One has to have a kitten due to the mice, you know. Poor me. In about three years, when our last child is grown, my husband will move back in with me and we have plans to build on a bedroom but that's it. There's simply no need for more.

I have become very interested in the small house movement and have read just about every book out there. It's all about prioritizing, setting up systems, and planning multi-use space. Interestingly enough, my husband and his partner--our eldest son--are now building small houses for backyards.

There's nothing at all like it. I'm a convert.

Concerning husbands needing more space, we do have a large barn and shop on the property. He's got his "area" but as for the house, it's staying small and cosy.

I love it. When I was a single mom I had a studio apt that was t-i-n-y. We have a home now that (we rent, we don't own because of moving for husband's career) and it's right at or over 2000 sq. ft. I can't keep up and I don't work right now. This thing is a monster to keep clean and organized!

well, bless their hearts but I would probably be on trial for murder if I lived in that small of a place

obviously I could do it short-term if I had to but I need space - lots of it - or I about lose my mind

I'm glad though that there seems to be a downsizing movement ... that's probably a good thing for society

My daughter and I live in a fairly small studio apartment, I realized even though she had her own room, she always slept with me. During the day we were always in the same room downstairs, so when I needed to lower my costs and started looking this was a perfect solution for us.

We're not far from the coolest park imaginable, and .4 miles from the beach. We had to get rid of a lot of crap, and that's what it was just stuff. I still struggle with paperwork with my business and arts and crafts are a storage nightmare. Other than that we do pretty well with our space.

I miss the dishwasher, and I miss a stove - but since I figured out that you can in fact boil eggs in a crockpot, there's not anything I can't fix in the oven or crock.

By myself, yes, forever - if it was on a big secluded lot. With my SO, not for more than a weekend! We've talked about how, on my own, I could happily live in a teensy trailer forever. Our house is small anyway- a little 70's rancher, but it is still equal about 4 of these tiny homes. I have a big dog, but he's never more than 3 feet from me, so he doesn't need much space inside. And my cats are so lazy they're basically furniture.

I am the total opposite of a claustrophobic.....the smaller the space, the better I like it....this might be my dream home!

They are survivors and we need a lot more people like them around. If you can let go of all the things you put in your closets, pantry's, garage,shed and never use and just get rid of it guess what you don't need much space. Good for them and their son seems well adjusted also. You do what you gotta do and I wish them all the luck.

My daughter and I live in a fairly small studio apartment, I realized even though she had her own room, she always slept with me. During the day we were always in the same room downstairs, so when I needed to lower my costs and started looking this was a perfect solution for us.

We're not far from the coolest park imaginable, and .4 miles from the beach. We had to get rid of a lot of crap, and that's what it was just stuff. I still struggle with paperwork with my business and arts and crafts are a storage nightmare. Other than that we do pretty well with our space.

I miss the dishwasher, and I miss a stove - but since I figured out that you can in fact boil eggs in a crockpot, there's not anything I can't fix in the oven or crock.

Wow, eggs in a crock pot? Good for you! My husband and I moved from almost 4,000 sf to a 950 sf "cottage" in the country. We have lots of land and a large outdoor screened patio, but inside is pretty tiny. I do wish we had a second bath and another bedroom, but I do love how easy it is to keep clean, the payments allow us to live comfortably, and our electric bill is very affordable, even in the FL summers we can keep the AC on about 72 (hubby likes it cold, not me. Lol, I have to shed the sweats every time I go out to the pool.) Definitely has its pluses but it's not at all convenient for having guests.

Wow, eggs in a crock pot? Good for you! My husband and I moved from almost 4,000 sf to a 950 sf "cottage" in the country. We have lots of land and a large outdoor screened patio, but inside is pretty tiny. I do wish we had a second bath and another bedroom, but I do love how easy it is to keep clean, the payments allow us to live comfortably, and our electric bill is very affordable, even in the FL summers we can keep the AC on about 72 (hubby likes it cold, not me. Lol, I have to shed the sweats every time I go out to the pool.) Definitely has its pluses but it's not at all convenient for having guests.

an hour on high, 4 hours on low. Isn't that funny?

yes, having guests is inconvenient - but on the other hand it's somewhat nice to have no room at times...

I love it. When I was a single mom I had a studio apt that was t-i-n-y. We have a home now that (we rent, we don't own because of moving for husband's career) and it's right at or over 2000 sq. ft. I can't keep up and I don't work right now. This thing is a monster to keep clean and organized!

I could definitely live in one of these small homes. About 2 years ago I bought a little brick house, about 900 sq ft. I only use LR/Kitch Bath and one bedroom. The other two rooms are closed off. I have a large storage barn in the backyard for storage. I live in MS so my house was quite cheap around 62,000. It has a one car garage which is perfect for me. This is my little retirement home and after I am gone, my son will have either investment income or a paid for house. Love the Little.

Once it's just hubby and me - I think I could do it. I could sure keep it clean! And we're heading into the Las Vegas summer - with outrageous power bills.

Yeah, I could do it. LOVE the porch!

I can't go out anymore but after 35 years of doing the hosting (usually 40 or so at holidays and 12-20 each night at dinner), my husband is having a blast having meals and holidays at our adult kids' houses.

I think outdoor space is very important too. If I'm ever able to have a guest, I have a deck I can be moved to. That would be sheer heaven. But I can see the mountains, valley and forest from my bed.

There's a whole bunch of really fun websites to look at if you google, "small houses" or "tiny houses". Lots of creativity. I recently read that the only part of the construction industry growing right now is in garage conversions and backyard cottages or "granny units". Finally, we're getting it right.

Our town actually encourages as much in-fill as possible to hold tight onto the growth boundaries. I think more planning departments are going to have to consider these ideas.

Eggs in a crock-pot??? Great idea. I've actually looked up dorm room cooking for ideas.

It is no different than a small apartment or the shotgun mill houses we have here. My house is larger but the maintenance is killing me, the yard work is more than I can handle, and I basically use the bedroom and kitchen. I love these houses.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back