892 users online (185 members and 707 guests)  

Websleuths News

Food pyramid out, 'My Plate' in for healthy eating

WASHINGTON – The Agriculture Department says "My Plate," its new healthy eating symbol, aims to show that nutrition doesn't have to be complicated.

"My Plate" — a simple circle divided into quadrants that contain fruits, vegetables, protein and grains — will replace USDA's food pyramid, which has been around in various forms since 1992. It comes with an accompanying website.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110602/..._usda_my_plate

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

I hadn't seen this article, thanks for posting it.

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

I've seen something similar before, and it makes a lot of sense. Way back when people were more active, the pyramid may have made sense. Now, when we have less to do, we need a new eating style to go with the sedentary lifestyle.

The relative proportions of the 4 food groups on the plate are too similar to be meaningful. It's like, eat four of these different things, more of a couple, but who can remember which? If they'd made them just all the same size, the practical meaning would be easier to understand intuitively and apply.
    TAPU'S BLOG
    Murder in the Hills

Quote Originally Posted by tapu View Post
    The relative proportions of the 4 food groups on the plate are too similar to be meaningful. It's like, eat four of these different things, more of a couple, but who can remember which? If they'd made them just all the same size, the practical meaning would be easier to understand intuitively and apply.
    I think it is as simple as can be. Half of your plate should be filled with fruit and veggies...slightly more veggies than fruit; the other half of the plate should be equally divided between grains and protien.

They have the portion sizes wrong, IMO. I think half the plate should be veggies and the other half should be divided into thirds of fruit, grains and protein.....but that is just an opinion!

I do remember having a plate with the portions marked on it Decades ago! I hung it on the kitchen wall as a decoration.

Daisyjane is offline "All the clouds are clearing, and I think we're over the storm."
    When I was a kiddie (late 50s/early 60s) they taught the 'Seven Basic Food Groups'.

Meat, Fish, Poultry
    Vegetables
    Fruits
    Dairy products
    Breads and starches
    Sweets
    Fats

Back then, there was little fast food, people ate in restaurants only on special occasions, and the lion's share of food was bought at the store and prepared and consumed at home, or taken to work or school in a sack lunch. Parents had much more control over what the kiddies ate.

You can put the facts on a pyramid, put the photos on a plate, or put the words on a neon sign on Broadway. But if people want to eat donuts and chips, no pyramid or plate or sign will change their diet to fruit and salad.