756 users online (121 members and 635 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsu95 View Post
    Not only that, but I didn't bring up the 57% in the first place. I simply said I would have thought it would have been much higher than 57%. So if you want to accuse someone of "skewing" something, how about accusing the person that posted it in the first place.

Here's a recap:

Me: In a couple other forums I participate in, the overwhelming majority feel he is not guilty.

JTF: Remember the poll here...57% say guilty as charged

Me: I would have expected a lot higher percentage in this forum

You: NCSU95 is skewing numbers/data

Me:

Hopefully that will give dear brad *comfort* over there in the *big house* while he's enjoying fine cuisine and participating in their version of *ironman*.

:

In a 'fair world', Brad Cooper and Jason Young will eventually become *roomies* one day.

That is right NCSU. I forgot it was not you but JTF that brought up the 57 percent which is of course correct. That is hilarious. Guess PSA needs to take her complaint up with JTF. You were falsely accused.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the Fax View Post
    Guess the point is 100% of the jury voted guilty as charged. The judge told them not to second guess after reading blogs and boards with another opinion. I hope they took that advise.
    Oh I agree with this. That's why I told my neighbor not to second guess her vote.

You can never second guess your vote. However, I understand why it would be human nature to do just that, particularly when you read what things were not presented.

Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine74 View Post
    I respect his position and understand his reticence.

We have to remember there are people out there who are not of sound mind, and who believe the whole justice system (including any jury members) are hellbent on throwing innocent people into prison, just because they feel like it.

Some people threatened to 'out' the jury after the verdict, some talked openly of wanting to do screen captures off of the media feed, when the jury was seen leaving the courthouse, and plaster those pics on the Internet. Some are now trying to prove juror misconduct because this particular juror happened to be at a hockey game the same night as the victim's parents.

The vitriol spewed towards this jury through social media sites has been sickening, and it continues to this day. Fortunately none of that nonsense is allowed on WS.

I hope the jury members will all be safe from the 'crazies' out there. I also hope they'll feel comfortable, as time goes on, sharing what this process was like for them and what evidence made the most impact.
    Madeleine, I have to say ... I really enjoy some of your comments ... such as "We have to remember there are people out there who are not of sound mind, and who believe the whole justice system (including any jury members) are hellbent on throwing innocent people into prison, just because they feel like it." That is such a refreshing perspective, particularly when discussing cases where people firmly believe that a conviction is the result of a huge conspiracy.

My understanding of the case was limited to what I was able to read and view through online media and, given the blackouts, I was of the opinion that Cooper would be found not guilty. I tend to trust a jury that heard all the evidence and whose sole objective it was to evaluate that evidence. Much as I believe that computer rebuttal witnesses should have been heard, unless there is a reversal of verdict on appeal I am adjusting my thinking to understand that Cooper is guilty of murder.

Madeleine74 is offline Of course it's my opinion; who else's would it be?
    I don't believe in huge conspiracies in general, and in this particular case, I didn't see any conspiracy. I did see mistakes made and those should never happen again, but most of the mistakes ended up in the defendant's favor. The cell phone data deletion didn't appear to favor either side since whatever evidence may have been on that phone was gone and no one could use anything. The state couldn't use it either. It was a terrible mistake and it must never happen again, but a conspiracy? I don't see that.

What I found interesting is how some people went from thinking BC's guilt wasn't proved by the state, which is certainly a valid and fair interpretation, to full tilt conspiracy involving just about everyone, which makes one wonder what drug they've taken, or haven't taken but should have, what voices they may be hearing, and hoping no one is bent towards violence.

I can't help but think of my favorite quote, "When you see crazy coming, cross the street!"
    Last edited by Madeleine74; 06-06-2011 at 02:59 PM.

I don't know if any of you are watching the Casey Anthony murder trial (I am catching bits here and there), but the judge in that case (who everyone seems to like a lot), has been denying the defense from presenting lots of things they want. Most of what the defense asks for is denied. Objections by the state are often sustained.

Further, the judge allowed very incriminating video to come in from the state simply because the defense did not get their motion to suppress in on time. This is a huge problem for the defendant, and it could have been prevented! The defense tried at the last minute to keep it out, but the judge said 'too late--you had a deadline and you missed it!'

And to my knowledge, no one is screaming "UNFAIR JUDGE...that judge is biased towards the state of FL!" But that judge is making some very similar calls as Gessner, all based on rules of evidence and rules of the court.

I don't believe in huge conspiracies in general, and in this particular case, I didn't see any conspiracy. I did see mistakes made and those should never happen again, but most of the mistakes ended up in the defendant's favor. The cell phone data deletion didn't appear to favor either side since whatever evidence may have been on that phone was gone and no one could use anything. The state couldn't use it either. It was a terrible mistake and it must never happen again, but a conspiracy? I don't see that.

What I found interesting is how some people went from thinking BC's guilt wasn't proved by the state, which is certainly a valid and fair interpretation, to full tilt conspiracy involving just about everyone, which makes one wonder what drug they've taken, or haven't taken but should have, what voices they may be hearing, and hoping no one is bent towards violence.

I can't help but think of my favorite quote, "When you see crazy coming, cross the street!"
    The "full tilt" conspiracy thinking seems to happen when people are unable to accept a verdict - for whatever reason (eg: the convict is too pretty to murder). It's happened in a few cases over the years. I'm not a full tilt conspiracy thinker, but in this particular case I found that I had to rethink some things - realizing that perhaps I misunderstood what I heard and believed. There were several blackout days of information critical to the jury's decision and, as trial by media observers, we absolutely don't have all the facts.

I don't know if any of you are watching the Casey Anthony murder trial (I am catching bits here and there), but the judge in that case (who everyone seems to like a lot), has been denying the defense from presenting lots of things they want. Most of what the defense asks for is denied. Objections by the state are often sustained.

Further, the judge allowed very incriminating video to come in from the state simply because the defense did not get their motion to suppress in on time. This is a huge problem for the defendant, and it could have been prevented! The defense tried at the last minute to keep it out, but the judge said 'too late--you had a deadline and you missed it!'

And to my knowledge, no one is screaming "UNFAIR JUDGE...that judge is biased towards the state of FL!" But that judge is making some very similar calls as Gessner, all based on rules of evidence and rules of the court.
    No kidding, Jose Baez appears to be a true example of an ineffective defense counsel. Perhaps the BC is innocent crew should invade the Anthony camp. I think she is guilty, but her defense is quite inexperienced IMO.

Incompetent defense attorney, yep. He is inexperienced and it shows. Judge Perry clearly dislikes him, and I saw the judge almost laughing at one of his objections/reasons last week. But Judge Perry is universally beloved by those watching this trial, even though he has smacked down the defense on several occasions and ruled against them a good 95%+ of the time. Perhaps it's because most people believe the defendant is guilty of murder and their feelings toward the judge are more amendable, I don't know.

I see his rulings and wonder what the people who watched the BC trial and thought of Gessner think of Perry (nearly always) ruling against this defense team. He's actually embarrassed Jose Baez on more than one occasion, having to instruct him on how to do a valid cross exam. :-O

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3