Update from MCSO

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdx

All Wet
Reaction score
http://www.flashalertportland.net/press-releases.html

(first a recap of the case; see link)

The investigation will transition effective July 1.

Final two paragraphs:

To meet the demands of this investigation as it continues to progress we will transition toward a more technical focus for the case starting July 1st. The agencies that will be involved at that time will include: the FBI, Oregon Department of Justice, Multnomah County District Attorney's Office and the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office, who will remain as the lead investigative agency. We will be concentrating on technology based forensics, data entry and review of information compiled, leads and specific tasks that have been identified for the investigation, along with continued case development.

Although we have adapted our approach and techniques as this case has dictated, our dedication and resolve to find out what happened to Kyron has not changed in the least. This case will continue to hold the highest priority for the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office and all of our partners; from those actively involved in the beginning, through those involved in the Task Force and those that will continue after the July 1st transition. The impact of this case has touched the lives of all who are involved as well as families across the state and nation. Through all of the searches, interviews, leads followed, briefings, meetings and discussions with the leaders of the investigation the conviction remains the same--there will be a conclusion.

Thanks Pdx, I am so thankful the force working to find Kyron and solve this crime is positive minded. I think that means allot, their eyes and ears constantly tuned to putting things together that they learn and exploring every avenue to bring him home.

I can hardly believe a year has gone by with almost nothing new learned since those first few days. xox

PS: Oh, the minute after I wrote that the sun started shining thru the rain drops. There must be a rainbow ;} LOL

I just saw that in my inbox too! ;)

Although I can't figure out what it means? Technical focus? Haven't they been focusing on the electronic correspondance all along? Emails, chat rooms, cell pings etc. I also wished they had mentioned searching? Seems that has all but gone away.

Maybe they found the physical evidence? There's got to be a reason they haven't been out beating bushes much.

I think the electronics goes deep.. you know, one connection leads to another to another? That's just my common sense telling me that.

Thank you, loves2b, for putting all those media links up and keeping up topped up on the 'other' channels. I really appreciate it. x
(where 'other' = the ones I don't watch, lol)

Considering all the money and resources that they have gone into the search for Kyron, they are pretty much required to be 100% positive when speaking to the media. It wouldn't look good for LE to say, "Well, it's the biggest search for a missing child in Oregon history....and we're not much farther along in June 2011 than we were in June 2010," You definitely want the public to feel that you are close to solving the case in case you need more money. I just hope we're not hearing "There will be a conclusion" on the 2nd year anniversary and so on.

Maybe they found the physical evidence? There's got to be a reason they haven't been out beating bushes much.

I think the electronics goes deep.. you know, one connection leads to another to another? That's just my common sense telling me that.

Thank you, loves2b, for putting all those media links up and keeping up topped up on the 'other' channels. I really appreciate it. x
(where 'other' = the ones I don't watch, lol)

I can't imagine what station you're talking about....cough.....LOL! Notice who got back to me right away and who did not. ;)

This update does not sound that much different from the one in or about December 2010 to me.

After one year they are deciding to quit spending money on a task force or searches, IMO.

Perhaps they believe they can trap a suspect on line or they have resigned themselves to wait for the perp to make another move.

I am so confounded by this case. I so wish they would just arrest someone, for something and perhaps that will shake out some more info.

Kyron deserves so much more than this.

To meet the demands of this investigation as it continues to progress we will transition toward a more technical focus for the case starting July 1st.

I believe that most of the money for the case in the first year went to the physical search effort such as helicopters and other equipment. A "more technical focus" makes me think of office work. It sounds like there will be more trying to put the dots together and just waiting on that one tip, than actual physical searching for Kyron. It does like they are downgrading the search effort a bit.

Unfortunately, I believe Kyron is deceased. I don't know if Terri murdered him or if it was a sexual predator, but I don't think he's still here with us. One of the things I don't understand in this case and in other cases like Haleigh, Hailey, Lindsay, etc is that these kids are missing, they are most likely dead, and no one can find their bodies. The murderer most likely dumped them close to the abduction site, yet there's no sign of them anywhere. There's so much land and water out there, but you would think someone would stumble upon it. Searchers found Laci, Samantha Runnion, Danielle Van Dam, Carlie Brucia, Chelsea King, etc but we can't find other missing kids.

I believe that most of the money for the case in the first year went to the physical search effort such as helicopters and other equipment. A "more technical focus" makes me think of office work. It sounds like there will be more trying to put the dots together and just waiting on that one tip, than actual physical searching for Kyron. It does like they are downgrading the search effort a bit.

Unfortunately, I believe Kyron is deceased. I don't know if Terri murdered him or if it was a sexual predator, but I don't think he's still here with us. One of the things I don't understand in this case and in other cases like Haleigh, Hailey, Lindsay, etc is that these kids are missing, they are most likely dead, and no one can find their bodies. The murderer most likely dumped them close to the abduction site, yet there's no sign of them anywhere. There's so much land and water out there, but you would think someone would stumble upon it. Searchers found Laci, Samantha Runnion, Danielle Van Dam, Carlie Brucia, Chelsea King, etc but we can't find other missing kids.

It is almost a matter of luck, in most cases, when the body is found, it seems. So many never are, or are found years later. If they buried, that lessens the chances even more.

In the Portland area, there seems to be nothing but deeply wooded areas and water...the two favorite spots for body disposal. Sometimes when I hear about a body being found, I am more surprised that one is found, than that one can't be found.

Mark Klaas said once when he was talking about Hassani Campbell that it is such a huge world and bodies, especially those of children, are so small, that is is almost a miracle they are ever found.

July 1st eh? After the divorce goes back to court?

Any guesses on whether or not this is because they are still hoping TH will trip herself up during the proceedings?

Wow, the school did not hang on to computer log-on and cell records, etc. because sheriff's office did not ask them to, intially? What is that about?

And still can't rule out abduction or human trafficking?

So nothing, really, in a year.

Wow, the school did not hang on to computer log-on and cell records, etc. because sheriff's office did not ask them to, intially? What is that about?

And still can't rule out abduction or human trafficking?

So nothing, really, in a year.

" investigators have spent the past six months examining at least 60 persons of interest in the disappearance of Kyron from his school."
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/06/kyron_horman_task_force_to_dis.html

Does this exclude DD and the landscaper (they would have been examined a year ago). The next paragraph at link seems to suggest that some of the POI were RSO's---shouldn't they have been checked out in the beginning?

IMO, this article is a bit disheartening, 68 binders of information and you are reduced to examining cell phones that pinged near the school, home, or Sauvie Island? Also, was evidence found on Sauvie Island, I thought in the beginning we were there because TH's phone pinged there---any definite proof she was there?

Finally, BIG oops on the school's party. Even b/c they weren't asked to preserve the records...shouldn't they have anyways? Is this in reference to the computer logs that absent/not absent students? I know that in the beginning there was some talk about those here on the forum.

What did they mean by this?They say here other potential persons of interest(is that a few people?).Computer log in?Persons of interest at the school?Who would be able to log in at the school?Who all had computers?

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/06/kyron_horman_task_force_to_dis.html

During the investigation of the other potential persons of interest, the team realized that some evidence -- namely phone records and computer log-on information from Skyline School the day Kyron went missing -- were not kept by the school district as the sheriff's office didn't request the preservation of those records.

Do teachers have computers in thier class rooms?Are there computers in the schools library?Can any one log into them?I'm confused.I have no idea what they are talking about in that article.Maybe this is what they are looking for when they said they are focusing on technology based forensics, data entry.

I would like to have heard the raw interview. some points of interest bbm:

Kyron Horman task force to disband July 1, but will re-form if 'something breaks,' sheriff says

But they still don't know what happened to the child and have had to consider all options, including his being abducted, becoming a victim of human trafficking or being killed.

"A large part of an investigation like this is eliminating people as suspects," sheriff's chief deputy Jason Gates said.

During the investigation of the other potential persons of interest, the team realized that some evidence -- namely phone records and computer log-on information from Skyline School the day Kyron went missing -- were not kept by the school district as the sheriff's office didn't request the preservation of those records.

snippets from http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/06/kyron_horman_task_force_to_dis.html

But a formalized task force will disband as of July 1, Sheriff Dan Staton said Thursday.

"We're not going to call it a task force anymore," Staton said. "If something breaks, then we'll bring everybody back together."

This is very heartbreaking to hear that the Task Force will disband, but brought back together "if something breaks" ... especially being so close to the one year mark when Kyron disappeared ...

:praying: that Kyron is found soon !!

snippets from http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/06/kyron_horman_task_force_to_dis.html

There are still "millions of data points" that need to be examined. Those points come from all the cell phone calls picked up by 11 towers within a certain radius of Skyline School -- what investigators call "ground zero" -- during the six-hour span on June 4, 2010, when Kyron's disappearance went unreported.

Over the past year, investigators have compiled 68 four-inch binders of information, and conducted more than 3,500 interviews, collecting more than 4,500 leads.

BBM:

:waitasec::waitasec: I have an IDEA ... :innocent:

I am sure the good folks here at WebSleuths would be very happy to help the MCSO "analyze" all those "data points" as well as review the 68 binders, interviews and leads ...

The technological and analytical expertise of the folks here at WS is fantastic !

I know ... I am just "dreaming" big time :innocent:

But when you think about it, LE has shared VERY LITTLE with the public, and while I understand the possibility of "compromising the investigation", at this point, what could it it hurt to let a few "cats out of the bag" ?

I just hope and pray that Kyron is found soon, and that this does NOT become a "cold case".

There are still "millions of data points" that need to be examined. Those points come from all the cell phone calls picked up by 11 towers within a certain radius of Skyline School -- what investigators call "ground zero" -- during the six-hour span on June 4, 2010, when Kyron's disappearance went unreported.
(respectfully snipped by me)

6 hour time span? Wasn't he first noticed missing (officially) at 3:30pm. 6 hours before 3:30pm is 9:30am. 4:00pm was when LE was notified, making 6 hours before 10:00am. The 6 is a typo right...they really meant 7 hour time span...right??!

Timeline for Ky: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106874"]Case Calendar and timeline information NO DISCUSSION - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member