644 users online (77 members and 567 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

R.I.P. Matt Dillon: James Arness of "Gunsmoke" dead at 88

James Arness of 'Gunsmoke' fame dies at 88 (newsok.com)

James Arness, the 6-foot-6 actor who towered over the television landscape for two decades as righteous Dodge City lawman Matt Dillon in "Gunsmoke," died Friday. He was 88.
    ---
    Arness' official website posted a letter from Arness on Friday that he wrote with the intention that it be posted posthumously: "I had a wonderful life and was blessed with ... (so) many loving people and great friends," he wrote.
    ---
    As U.S. Marshal Dillon in the 1955-75 CBS Western series, Arness created an indelible portrait of a quiet, heroic man with an unbending dedication to justice and the town he protected.
    ---
    much more at newsok.com link above

The Official James Arness Website

I just went to post this in the Celebrity forum and it popped up here. Thanks for posting it.

I watched this show as a kid with my family a lot...

RIP

Here's the link from People Magazine.

http://www.people.com/people/article...le+Feedfetcher
    Please Help Find Brian Shaffer!

www.findbrianshaffer.com

I NEVER missed Gunsmoke when I ws a kid - my grandpa and I watched it together.

Later in life, I discovered that Peter Graves (Mission: Impossible) was Mr. Arness' brother - and forever after I have tried to picture them each in their brother's role!

Unhappy

I am so sorry to hear about this. I loved Gunsmoke.

RIP Mr. Arness and thank you for the wonderful memories.
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!"

The above post is my opinion and my opinion only. Please do not copy and past to other forums.

That is sad to hear. He is my 5th cousin from my Mother's side where an Arness married a Boyer. I was always so proud of that growing up as he seemed like the perfect man. When I was 12 we went to a big family reunion in Mn. He was there and we had such fun.

Rest in Peace James xox

I loved Gunsmoke as a kid. RIP James.

I teared up when I read this the other day. I am a BIG Gunsmoke fan, and have been ever since I was a kid.

Mr. Arness, you were great, I've always rated you up there with John Wayne, and you will be missed.

RIP

The varmints look to have succeeded and backed Mr. Dillon down in this scene which includes the classic line "Get out of Dodge."
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-FMz0W2yg"]YouTube - ‪Gunsmoke clip * "Get out of Dodge"‬‏[/ame]

But of course they really haven't, not for long. Under Marshall Dillon, in Dodge City, in our childhoods, justice always prevailed.

We never missed Gunsmoke at our home growing up!..You will be missed Mr. Arness..~RIP~
    "I am confident that, in the end, common sense and justice will prevail. I'm an optimist, brought up on the belief that if you wait to the end of the story, you get to see the good people live happily ever after."