R.I.P. Matt Dillon: James Arness of "Gunsmoke" dead at 88

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
James Arness of 'Gunsmoke' fame dies at 88 (newsok.com)

James Arness, the 6-foot-6 actor who towered over the television landscape for two decades as righteous Dodge City lawman Matt Dillon in "Gunsmoke," died Friday. He was 88.
---
Arness' official website posted a letter from Arness on Friday that he wrote with the intention that it be posted posthumously: "I had a wonderful life and was blessed with ... (so) many loving people and great friends," he wrote.
---
As U.S. Marshal Dillon in the 1955-75 CBS Western series, Arness created an indelible portrait of a quiet, heroic man with an unbending dedication to justice and the town he protected.
---
much more at newsok.com link above

The Official James Arness Website

I NEVER missed Gunsmoke when I ws a kid - my grandpa and I watched it together.

Later in life, I discovered that Peter Graves (Mission: Impossible) was Mr. Arness' brother - and forever after I have tried to picture them each in their brother's role!

I am so sorry to hear about this. I loved Gunsmoke.

RIP Mr. Arness and thank you for the wonderful memories.

That is sad to hear. He is my 5th cousin from my Mother's side where an Arness married a Boyer. I was always so proud of that growing up as he seemed like the perfect man. When I was 12 we went to a big family reunion in Mn. He was there and we had such fun.

Rest in Peace James xox

I loved Gunsmoke as a kid. RIP James.

I teared up when I read this the other day. I am a BIG Gunsmoke fan, and have been ever since I was a kid.

Mr. Arness, you were great, I've always rated you up there with John Wayne, and you will be missed.

RIP

The varmints look to have succeeded and backed Mr. Dillon down in this scene which includes the classic line "Get out of Dodge."
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-FMz0W2yg"]YouTube - ‪Gunsmoke clip * "Get out of Dodge"‬‏[/ame]

But of course they really haven't, not for long. Under Marshall Dillon, in Dodge City, in our childhoods, justice always prevailed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSmurf1
Back