GUILTY IN - Devin Parsons, 12, beaten to death, Greensburg, 3 June 2011

How sad that CPS was called ''a number of times'' and seems nothing was done.

I think peeples has started a thread on this as well. No victim name in title but describes twelve year old boy deceased and victim is named in link of OP. Perhaps mods could merge.

ETA NM I see that has been taken care of, man our mods are quick

How sad that CPS was called ''a number of times'' and seems nothing was done.
Such was the case in Christian Choates's death in Gary, IN. In response, Indiana DCS published this statement a few days ago.

“As a result of the tragic death of Christian Choate, the Indiana Department of Child Services (DCS) has initiated an expedited examination of this case,” said the DCS release issued this afternoon.

http://www.wgnradio.com/news/local/...boys-death-20110601,0,5867352.story?track=rss

Now with Devin's death, I hope they will consider a statewide review.

I grew up in Indiana and I know based on some of my friends/family members experience that CPS is a mess in the state. CPS has it's place but the social workers that won't or can't do their job need to go.

Rest in peace little man, no one will hurt you now. Play with the angels.

Excellent article about this sweet little guy...

Numerous reports preceded Devin Parsons' death
Devin Parsons awoke June 2 anticipating a glorious day.

It was, after all, the last day of school. No more textbooks. No more homework.

For Devin, that last day of school was a good one. He played games during field day. He went to a book fair. He beamed with pride while accepting an end-of-the-year award — a certificate for reading achievement.
More...

Jones and Parsons repeatedly punched and kicked Devin.

They rammed his head into a TV stand.

They beat him with a belt.

They hit him with a metal tray.

They dunked him in a bathtub and held his head under running water.

It is not clear precisely when the beating began, but an acquaintance of the couple riding a bike past the home between 9:30 and 10 p.m. told police later that he heard Jones yelling.

The man stopped
to find out what was the matter.

“The little *advertiser censored*,” Jones told his friend, had taken his drugs.

The man said Jones was “going off” on Devin.

“I’ll kill that little f—–,”
Jones huffed, “if I don’t get my s—.”

The man didn’t intervene.

He didn’t call 911.

He hopped back on his bicycle and pedaled off into the night.

And the assault on Devin resumed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

They found Devin’s body in a bedroom.

Blood spattered the walls of several rooms.

A framed photo of Devin was on the floor, the glass broken.

Jones was gone, but Parsons had remained — the clothes she was wearing spattered with her son’s blood.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The killing of Devin generated one final report to DCS — at least the 19th
over the span of Devin’s short life.

This time, agency workers intervened.
His younger brother and sister were placed in a foster home.

At that point, though, DCS had no other choice.
The agency couldn’t send the kids back to Parsons.

She was in jail — charged with killing her son.

http://blogs.indystar.com/starwatch/2012/02/12/numerous-reports-preceded-devin-parsons-death/

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/28159951/detail.html
Sharon Pierce, with Prevent Child Abuse Indiana, said most of the time, children who are returned to their homes after suffering abuse are OK.
"Child abusers can change and do change, and we've got good research to help us with strategies on how to do that," she said. Investigators planned to return to the home after the autopsy to gather more evidence.
I have a huge problem with that statement. In 2010 ACF stated 12.1% of child fatalities by reporting states had received "family preservation services". Indiana does not report its numbers (conveniently) but we know child fatalities are generally higher among younger children. As such often there is no prior CPS involvement when a child is murdered.

970 children in 33 reporting states were supposed to be safe. 970 children murdered. 970 children not "OK".

If child abuse advocates even believe family unification is in the child(ren)'s best interests then what hope do we have?

RIP Devin - I am so, so sorry you too were lost.

ETA:
In the last five years, at least 23 Hoosier children with ties to the Indiana Department of Child Services have died despite efforts to protect them. In some cases, the children or their families were involved in open cases with the department. In others, the children or families had been involved in recently closed cases. And in still others, the children or their families had been the subject of recent reports of abuse or neglect.
http://www.indystar.com/interactive/article/99999999/MULTIMEDIA/120120025/

So this sweet child, who was more intelligent than his mother or her boyfriend, trying to save his mom. Now she's alive and he's dead. It makes me sick to my stomach.

I know there were people that reported them to CPS, but I wish someone had done more.

So this sweet child, who was more intelligent than his mother or her boyfriend, trying to save his mom. Now she's alive and he's dead. It makes me sick to my stomach.

I know there were people that reported them to CPS, but I wish someone had done more.

BBM - Yeah, like CPS.

I have called CPS and was told point blank that the child MUST have a visible bruise and say it was caused by a person in the home before anything will be done. Sometimes it is too late.

Someone like CPS maybe? I really think that in this case there is justification for suing every single case worker that should have been but was not involved in this case. I'm furious over their lack of action.

Time for me to shut up now.:banghead:

Someone like CPS maybe? I really think that in this case there is justification for suing every single case worker that should have been but was not involved in this case. I'm furious over their lack of action.

Time for me to shut up now.:banghead:

This is something I honestly do NOT understand and maybe someone here can explain.

If a police officer is found negligent, he can be punished / sued.
If a military person is found negligent, he can be punished / sued.
If lawyer is found negligent, he can be disbarred / sued.
If a doctor is found negligent, he can lose his license / be sued.

WHY is CPS never held accountable? Each and every person that failed this child should LOSE their jobs and be sued by the relatives that tried to get this poor little boy help. WHY can that not be done ?

This is something I honestly do NOT understand and maybe someone here can explain.

If a police officer is found negligent, he can be punished / sued.
If a military person is found negligent, he can be punished / sued.
If lawyer is found negligent, he can be disbarred / sued.
If a doctor is found negligent, he can lose his license / be sued.

WHY is CPS never held accountable? Each and every person that failed this child should LOSE their jobs and be sued by the relatives that tried to get this poor little boy help. WHY can that not be done ?

Maybe this case will set a precedent:

On June 3, DCS supervisor Scott Ogden approved the case reports that cleared Parsons in the allegations involving the scratches on Devin’s neck and the incident in which his sister was cut.

Handwritten notes on the covers of the two reports indicate that Ogden — who later was arrested for allegedly seeking sexual favors from a DCS client to whom he had given drugs — approved the two “unsubstantiated” findings at 10:01 a.m. and 10:13 a.m.

Ogden, however, was unaware of what had happened just a few hours earlier — an incident that would generate yet another report later that same day.

At any rate it explains a lot.

RIP Devin

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow