GUILTY NY - Dr. Phillip Riback for sexually abusing young patients, Albany, 2002

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
ALBANY -- Devastated parents packed an Albany County courtroom on Thursday to take turns telling Dr. Phillip Riback how his abuse of their children had ruined their lives. But if they were expecting a personal apology from the prominent pediatric neurologist, they were sadly disappointed. None would be forthcoming.

Instead, before being sentenced to 48 years behind bars, the 45-year-old Riback thanked those who have stood by him, given his June conviction on 28 counts of sexually abusing 12 young male patients.

"I now realize my career is gone," Riback said, as his wife, Susan, cried. "My reputation has been destroyed. My life savings has been spent. But I am left with what is most important of all, the love of family and friends."

"I would like to offer my extreme sorrow, regret and remorse for any action I have performed that was misconstrued," Riback also said, as he asked County Judge Stephen W. Herrick for leniency.

But Herrick sentenced Riback to the maximum allowed by law, although he will only have to serve 40 of those years. The judge said he had no doubt Riback is a good friend and family man and a brilliant physician who has done much good. But he said those who love him have no real idea of the irreparable harm he's caused.

"You are in the truest sense of the word a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde," Herrick said. "They came to you sick and needy and you violated that trust. I find absolutely no explanation for your acts."

Riback was convicted on June 24 on 28 of 30 counts, including 12 felony charges.

The abuse took place in the examining rooms of Upstate Neurology Associates on Atrium Drive, usually when the boys' parents had been asked to step outside the room.

During the trial, boy after boy tearfully testified over three weeks about how terrified they were when Riback touched them inappropriately or forced them to engage in bizarre acts -- including spitting on his face or in his mouth.

Riback, who did not testify during his trial, was considered by many of his peers to be one of the region's top pediatric neurologists.

His lawyer, William Dreyer, has claimed that the inappropriate ways Riback related to the children -- by joking and wrestling, for example -- was simply meant to put them at ease.

On Thursday, Dreyer said Riback suffers from a disorder that makes initiating normal social contact difficult: "He has a pattern of quirky, entertaining behavior as a way of relating that simply goes too far."

Two months later, in November, Riback was arrested and charged with sexually abusing two boys. When word of his arrest spread, Colonie police received nearly 100 additional complaints from parents who believed their sons were abused during office visits. Many of the alleged incidents took place while Riback already was being investigated by the Health Department, including one that occurred the day after he was chastised.

Before sentencing Thursday, Riback didn't react as mothers and fathers held each other and cried while one woman described her son's bravery in coming forward.

It isn't the monsters possibly lurking under his bed or in the closet that terrify her son now, she said: "No, the monster is you. You preyed upon his trust and vulnerability with your self-centered arrogance. ... And you used a medical degree as a free-pass for pedophilia. Justice has been brought to you by a 5-foot, 3-inch crusader who followed the truth and used it to lock away the monster."

While she spoke, Riback's relatives often looked at each other and smirked, while shaking their heads no.

"I trusted you," another woman said. "And you let me stand there outside that door, not three feet away, while you harmed my son. Now I will live with that guilt forever."

A father took a deep breath to steady himself when it was his turn.

"I sat in the lobby and read a magazine while my son was being brutalized and tortured," he admitted. "I will never forget the ride home that day as his life was being sucked out of him."

The boy later slit his wrists, the man said: "My son would have been better off with migraines than the nightmares he will have for a lifetime."

http://timesunion.com/aspstories/story.asp?storyID=293062

I can't even imagine what those parents and children have been through. Too bad this monster gets to be held in protective custody while these kids try to get over what he's done to them and live with it forever.

The facts are the doctor has a form of an autistic spectrum disorder causing him deficits in social interaction and unusual responses to the environmental situations--making him a genius at pediatric neurology but with inappropriate behavior pattern, which he USED to diagnose difficult cases. He saved many children with his bizarre techniques of wrestling with them to complete an examination. He is NOT a predator nor a pedophile. Because his Asperger's syndrome seemed secondary to his brilliance, none of his colleagues interfered with his crazy clinical practice techniques...kind of a weird Patch Adams ... now they have abandoned him because EVERYONE was afraid of an aggressive DA out to make a name for himself, not sufficiently considering the secondary gain via civil law suites, by victims or patient's families (you say victims...I think patients). Open any, I repeat ANY medical textbook on "how to conduct a thorough pediatric neurological examination" and likely you will be horrified at the probing and jabbing involved. Had the doctor allowed the parents to be inside the room or had a nurse present he would have performed the same examinations...look at the social history of all of these poor families and the difficulties they were having before they met the doctor.
Now he is is jail with rapists and murderers for what amounts to a life sentence.

Welcome to WS-are you saying that something like Aspberger's is to blame for a pediatrician who left in his wake scores of victims who "misinterpreted" his actions to be overtly sexual or threatening?

Interesting point of view. I do not know the pediatrician in the case, but I know many pediatric neurologists some of who are "on the spectrum." None of them treat their patients using the techniques detailed in the media regarding this case. All of them get excellent results.

I would never leave my child alone with a medical examiner and never have. However, I think the idea that there are 100+ families out there looking for a quick buck is nonsense....I think this physician was in a position of being able to dismiss his aberrant techniques by the explanation you have offered-he misses social cues and oh by the way due to the nature of the illness of the patients and their age they must be making it up/misunderstanding him.

Sorry, but I cry shenanigans.

. Had the doctor allowed the parents to be inside the room or had a nurse present he would have performed the same examinations...

Why didn't the doctor allow the parents or a nurse in the examination room? I assumed that was standard practice.

I don't know about this one. I'm bothered by the facts. The first thing I thought when I read the article is he's not guilty. (That doesn't happen often to me). However, I'm going to leave it at that until I research further. It's just a feeling anyway, nothing more.

As a member of a victim advocate site. What I posted below really burns me. How disrespectful. BBM.

Before sentencing Thursday, Riback didn't react as mothers and fathers held each other and cried while one woman described her son's bravery in coming forward.

It isn't the monsters possibly lurking under his bed or in the closet that terrify her son now, she said: "No, the monster is you. You preyed upon his trust and vulnerability with your self-centered arrogance. ... And you used a medical degree as a free-pass for pedophilia. Justice has been brought to you by a 5-foot, 3-inch crusader who followed the truth and used it to lock away the monster."

While she spoke, Riback's relatives often looked at each other and smirked, while shaking their heads no.

The case is a solid one. I am going to sit back and wait from something compelling that indicates this misunderstood physician was railroaded as the poster suggested.

I was alerted to the fact that former Dr. Phillip Riback was being brought to trial again for accusations of child sexual abuse by a person who was working with his prosecutor. Interesting enough, the defense had called Maggie Bruck to testify. She submitted an amicus curiae in our children's rapes. Respectfully, I think the woman needs her head examined as I just do not agree with her take on suggestibility. Not at all. I rail against the disclosure of sexual abuse to be a ploy for attention.

Anyway, I've been waiting to post this until I could find a media report. It has appeared. Dr. Riback had many supporters. He swore the truth would come out. His defenders smirked as the many many devastated children and parents of the abused trudged up to the witness stand to describe how their lives had been unhinged.

So, he got a new trial on a technicality. It didn't last long as he's pleaded guilty. Thank God for the victims and their families. But why oh why, can't his defenders have the basic decency to apologize. Do people not realize just how much it hurts to air your darkest secrets and to not be believed? To be smirked at? Especially when we have validation from the abuser himself that the abuse did occur. I've been there and I know.

Thank you, Phillip Riback, for putting an end to this charade. Maybe now, the victims can move forward with their lives. I'm not pleased with your release but I'll take what I can get.

http://online.wsj.com/article/APa2a62d0efc48448e82026d2dbee79bcb.html

ALBANY, N.Y. — A pediatric neurologist whose conviction for molesting more than a dozen boys at his office was overturned on appeal has admitted his guilt in one case and forfeited his medical license.

Dr. Phillip Riback of Cohoes was convicted in 2004 of abusing 13 boys over a five-year period. The victims testified at trial that he inappropriately touched them and forced them to play odd drooling games.

Riback was sentenced to 48 years in prison, but the conviction was overturned. Albany County District Attorney David Soares said Riback pleaded guilty Wednesday to one count of felony sex abuse and was sentenced to the 5 1/2 years already served in prison plus 10 years probation. He also must register as a sex offender...."

more at link

In other words, he gets out but is a RSO for life. Cold comfort.

And:

Colonie doctor Phillip Riback pleads guilty to sex abuse

"....In 2004, Riback was convicted of 12 felonies and 16 misdemeanors on charges he had sexually abused more than a dozen young boys who were his patients. The victims testified at trial that he inappropriately touched them and forced them to play odd drooling games.

But a Court of Appeals overturned the conviction in December of 2009, saying Riback had been deprived of his right to a fair trial because the prosecution had characterized Riback as a pedophile to the jury and misrepresented the grand jury testimony of at least one alleged victim.

Riback had served five and a half years in prison by that point. Under his guilty plea Wednesday, he will serve no additional time but must register as a sex offender and will be under probation for the next 10 years where "his actions will be monitored and the places he can live, work and visit will be strictly limited," said Albany County DA Soares..."

more at link

Read the details carefully. These children, these families have been fighting this fight for over 6 years. They only want the man to seek treatment and to be kept away from children. They've been put through the ringer. Is it any wonder why some parents decide that testifying is not in their child's best interest? I cannot get over the smirking. Because my children have been smirked at as they described their rapes, I feel that there should be a law requiring a heartfelt apology when the smirker is proven to be wrong. We are talking about children doing what they've been taught by their families, their schools, and their churches to do....tell. It might sound like small potatoes but until you've been a child, or the parent of a child who's misery has been trivialized, you just cannot fathom the pain.

Guess he wasnt railroaded after all. That sentence is appalling, fwiw.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Tejas1821
Back