Brits more scared of spiders than terrorists

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Britons are more scared of spiders than terrorist attacks or death, a new survey reveals.

Creepy crawlies such as spiders, cockroaches and other bugs were voted the nation's number one fear.

Terrorist attacks came second in the poll of 1,000 British adults who were asked what made them most frightened.

Also causing a shiver down the spine were snakes in third place, and heights in fourth. Death came only fifth in the list of the nation's 20 most frightening things.

Visiting the dentist came sixth; needles and injections seventh; and public appearances and speeches at work or family events came eighth. Fear of debt was in ninth place, while flying came in tenth.

Commenting on the findings, psychologist Donna Dawson said it was not surprising creepy crawlies were considered scarier than terrorist attacks.

She said: "This is because fear of small creatures that scuttle about on four or more legs is a much more ancient, primordial fear, going straight back to caveman days and what might be lurking in the black darkness of our cave homes which could hurt us."

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1135014.html

I got one of them there black and decker ultrasonic bug annoyers....they seem to work!

Also took the dreamcatcher that was directly above my bed and moved it off to the side---spiders were using it as a launching pad!

Yes, we have black widows everywhere around here and they are scary, but not nearly as frightening as this little clip on channel 4 that shows a certain inmate's head slowly turning. It's just robotic and twisted--Oh yeah, it's our own Scooterman! (Oh look, it is our old friend the moray eel!--Jacques Cousteau.)

atbay said:
I got one of them there black and decker ultrasonic bug annoyers....they seem to work!
I need more details on this wonderous contraption.... Christmas is coming :dance:

As a brit, I can say that this story is SO true!! LOL!! I live in outer London and work in the very centre of London- actually very close to Waterloo Station- one of the busiest commuter stations in the world, and surely a prime target for a terrorist attack and I NEVER worry about it....

I have never yet not ventured into London for fear of a terrorist attack or altered my plans in any way. Londoners especially get so sick of false alarms and panic announcements that we just learn to get on with our lives and not worry about it...................................

But put a SPIDER in my room and I won't sleep in there till my boyfriends found it!! I once didn't bathe for a whole weekend cause there was a spider in the bath and my flatmate was away, i had to run to the toilet with the door open and I screamed if it moved!! Nuts!! :crazy: A VERY unbalanced attitude I know, but there it is!!

Casshew,
I was looking for those spider catcher things on the net- I've never heard of them before and I found this which looks AMAZING!! Check it out http://www.spidercatcher.net/ And what a bargain!! They deliver all over the world- I checked!! I know what I'm getting for Christmas!! LOL (I am SERIOUS!!) :D

emma ~ we must be soul sisters... as I too have been housebound and missed school or work because there was a spider in the bathroom and I was so afraid of it I could not have a shower.. etc. I had to call a neighbour or wait for someone to come home to rescue me.

I am afraid to kill them - to get too close.. I usually spray them with hairspray from a safe distance until their legs stick together and they can't walk... of course I go through about half a bottle with each spider.

I had a look at this spidercatcher.. I don't think I could use it :eek: there is no way I am going to be holding this thing with a spider alive on the end of it :eek: I want something that kills them.. not catches them... so now you've got this live spider trapped... what the heck are you going to do with it? I am not letting this thing free again, outdoors or anywhere - I want it DEAD!!

I would be afraid it would get loose and come up the handle at me - I would probably fling the thing and smash a window :banghead:

They have followed and tormented me my whole life... little buggers

Me too!! My mum used to joke that they seek me out, because they know how much I hate them!! They are EVIL!! :eek:

My boyfriend thinks they're (quote!!) "beautiful" and it drives me NUTS! I THINK I could bear to use the spider catcher, but I would be worried that it might run up and touch me!! There is no solution!!!! It is pathetic really!!

They are Evil ~ and they do seek us out - no doubt about it. My husband says that one morning he is going to wake up and find me wrapped in a web from head to toe with a big spider sitting on my face.

I think I need to order a few hundred of the spider catchers.. and then everytime I catch one.. throw the whole thing (catcher and spider) into a large rubbish bag and tie it securely and put it outside. :D

Aha!! You will be broke! A friend of mine had hypnotherapy to get rid of her fear of spiders and she said that although she isnt cured completly she feels much better about it..........

I would have it if I could afford it...It was about £150!! I guess we'll just have to suffer on a bit longer! :boohoo: :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back