LIBS used by Oak Ridge in another Capital Murder Case in TX = GUILTY Verdict

everyoneneedsavoice

Verified Health Professional - Registered Nurse
Reaction score
I posted this in the afternoon trial thread; as I was sick of hearing this procedure being called "junk science". :waitasec:

Just wondering if the DT (or MSM) was aware of the Rachel Tolleson Case here in TX; where LIBS was used by Oak Ridge Scientist to identify chemical elements of tree wood, for the 1st time. Some of the same names have came up in Vass' testimony this morning; specifically the physicist.

Outcome: Guilty - sentenced to death

Same physicist who performed the LIBS on these wood logs; performed the LIBS on the carpet samples! (Madhavi Martin)

<snip>

In March 2004, a woman who had been missing for a week was found strangled and stabbed to death in a field in Collin County, Texas. Around her body lay pieces of partially burned logs. Her murderer apparently had tried to ignite the wood pieces in an attempt to burn her body. The attempt failed because the wood was too green.

Madhavi Martin, a physicist in ORNL's Environmental Sciences Division...had begun studies of the chemical composition of wood, using laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy.

Martin was not told that, of the 14 logs she was asked to analyze, 10 were retrieved from the crime scene and 4 from another place the suspect had been. "I analyzed all 14 pieces and found they had an identical spectrum," she says. I examined the burned parts of the logs and the unburned parts. The data revealed that the wood pieces had the same elemental content.

LIBS is a technique that produces a chemical "fingerprint" of wood or any other material, based on heavy metals and other trace elements.

http://www.ornl.gov/info/ornlreview/...rticle19.shtml
http://prc.utk.edu/martin.htm

<snip>

The scientists working on this technique were able to compare certain elements of each remaining log of wood from both the crime scene and the party. The Collin County Sheriff’s Office was 99.99 percent confident the logs were identical, being from the same tree or at least from the same stand of trees. This resulted in the suspect being found guilty of capital murder. He is now on death row at the Institutional Division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/m...issue_id=12009

<snip>

“The wood [from both fires] was from the same d*** tree!” He says.

It was also the first time tree ring science had ever been applied to a murder investigation.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

PS - the defense in this case thought it was junk science too! :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

baez is (imho) unnecessarily rude to dr voss

IMO he's scared of Vass, Vass is so intelligent that JB is not comfortable
around him cos JB is so NOT SMART. He's rude because he cannot understand
the information Vass is giving him. Plus, he knows Vass' tesimony will sink his case.
Baez is rude to hide the fact that he himself is not so bright. Better to be rude and appear as a Richard Cranium than have everyone know you are an idiot.
JMO

i agree... vass sure did hold his own and wasn't shy about correcting baez or even standing up for his results, etc... boring guy, but i sort of enjoyed him (in a strange way) LOL....

i agree... vass sure did hold his own and wasn't shy about correcting baez or even standing up for his results, etc... boring guy, but i sort of enjoyed him (in a strange way) LOL....

I thought he was amazingand finally answered the questions about Barker Ranch I had wondered about. :)
I think Baez just makes himself look bad insulting people on the stand and he doesn't even realise it.
Dr Vass is VERY intelligent, you can see it coming from him and I can only imagine some of the studies he did while in college. He was also very sensitive while talking about dead children which I thought was nice.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back