1460 users online (329 members and 1131 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

CA - Woman films her attacker on cell phone

What a brave and clear-thinking woman. How I hope they catch this guy. Scary scary man.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110609/...FuY2FwdHVyZQ--

Woman captures attacker's image on cell phone

"Police in Oakland, Calif., say a woman sexually assaulted by a man who broke in her home was able to use her cell phone to capture images of her assailant stealing her possessions. The Oakland Tribune says the 28-year-old North Oakland woman was raped Tuesday morning by the man..."

and

"...the woman used her cell phone to take video of the man hauling away her possessions. Police are now seeking the thin, bald man in a blue-and-white T-shirt shown in images taken from the video..."

More at link (and an excellent photo of the perp)

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    good for her! I hope they catch his foogly butt soon

I wonder where he's hiding? I hope he gets picked up soon, what a pos!

Looks like he was captured!

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...bay&id=8195506

Second link is a blog,but gives quite a statement by the victim. Very sad.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=91311

how dare that blogger be mean

ITA, peeples, that blog piece is reprehensible!! This blog seems to be a follow-up. I don't see the first one, to which the victim replied. I can't believe the Chronicle will continue to associate with this blogger. A victim has to explain her level of calm and ability to get an image of her attacker, which led to his arrest? I think not. Thank God the woman kept her head and is still alive. Due to her level head, there's a very bad man off the streets. I feel terrible for her that she felt that she needed to explain her actions and even to explain why she lived where she did. And she's got MS? So the man not only attacked a woman in her home, but one with a disability severe enough to qualify her for SSI--IF THAT EVEN MATTERS. Grrrrrr. And the blogger's even snotty about the woman declining to be identified and decides to launch into renter's rights? Gee, I wonder why she doesn't want her name out there? My prayers are with her. I hope she gets support from family and friends after this ordeal.

FWIW, I'm sure glad that I was not tasked with finding this man. In looking at the cell phone image, I was under the impression that the rapist was a balding mid-30ish white man. McDaniel is a black man and he's 47. I put the photos side by side and I assume it's the right guy. I guess he was hiding in the dog house for some reason. Eleven priors.

I'm afraid that this blogger was out of line. I haven't read his work before but I tend to believe that he just might be exhibiting some racism here. The earlier blog:

http://oaklandfocus.blogspot.com/201...eged-cell.html

"....The person in this video above reportedly [bolded by blogger] broke into a 28-year old woman's home in Oakland..."

and

"....He's described as "a black man in his early 40s, five feet nine, 160 pounds, with a bald head," but as you can tell he's more light-skinned black or a person of color, who may be black or Latino. According to reports, the woman didn't scream or call 911. And after the man left her home at her request, then he reportedly returned and sexually assaulted her. She was sent to the hospital for treatment, then released. What I can't help asking is why didn't she call, or try to call, the police when the dude left the house the first time? Also, in the video she sounds rather calm..."

more at link

First off, he got his facts wrong. And, IMO, the victim gave an excellent description PLUS provided a photo and stayed calm and lived through it all. What in heck does this blogger want?

AND THE TONE OF THE RAPIST'S SKIN MATTERS WHY????

Oh,the blogger's piece was awful. The only reason I posted the link was to show the victim's own words. If only some good-hearted landlord would offer her a better apartment.

Oakland is a mighty spendy place to live. It's an intriguing city as there are "micro-neighborhoods"--really scary places right next to fully gentrified locales. I've always loved Oakland. A single block can make all the difference in the world. But there is LOTS of crime. One of our sons lived there for a year (in a very scary neighborhood) with five roommates while they all commuted by BART to the SF Art Academy. There was no way they could live in the city due to costs.

If this woman is subsisting on SSI and food stamps, she's not going to be able to afford much at all in Oakland, sadly. Hopefully, her landlord will feel the heat and straighten up his act. And hopefully, a disability rights group will step in and assist her with advocacy.

The blogger talks about her calmness. However, in listening to the audio, I hear a woman just barely capable of keeping her calm. You can tell she's right on the edge of freaking out. Possibly only another woman could note that in her voice.

Speaking of the blogger, he skirted around an apology but never came out and offered a heartfelt one.